Corsair Community

Problem with TX650W

Nimonix

Hi,

I recently assembled a new rig (2 weeks back) and had installed a brand new Corsair 650TX PSU in it.

The system worked perfectly fine till today morning when my system started rebooting automatically every 15-20 mins.

Initially I thought it was a driver problem (since I'd been installing new softwares), so went back and started from the last best known configuration, but still my system continued to reboot.

The problem went on and after some time my system wouldn't even POST. It just turns on, all the fans in my case start spinning, and the system shuts down and restarts (doesn't even get to POST).

Before this happened I checked up the temperatures of my Motherboard & CPU (had an old system that used to restart due to heating issues), but my CPU was a very healthy 38 degree C, so overheating's ruled out.

I then shut down my system for about 30 mins and then restarted it. It POSTed now, but again restarted when loading the OS.

I am at my wit's end now....really appreciate some one helping out on what i'm missing out...

Thanks a bunch,

Nimo

I tried turning it on today morning and it ran perfectly for 15 mins before shutting down automatically again.

I don't have a spare Power Supply to test my system with or another system where I can try to plug in the current power supply (almost all of my friends have laptops and those who don't, use a branded system, which they are too scared to open up for fear of voiding the warranty).

What do u suggest I do?

Also, I noticed one more thing...once my system shuts down automatically, I switched off the Power Supply switch...and after a couple of seconds all my LED fans (system fans...connected to my Motherboard), lit up for a split second. Is this some left over power that the PSU sends across through the motherboad even after its switched off??

Thanks,

Nimo

Surprisingly, my system turned on properly yesterday night and it worked perfectly for about 3 hours before I shut it down.

I also monitored the voltages in BIOS and they are consistent for the 3.3, 5 & 12 volts (no changes at all).

I came to know from my neighbours that there was some voltage fluctuations in the apartment on Monday (could it be possible, my system restarts were bcoz of those?). In that case, shouldnt the PSU be able to handle it properly?

Either ways, looks like its working for now. I'm gonna go get an UPS installed and check whether this problem repeats.

Thanks,

Nimo

• Corsair Employees
Minor Voltage fluctuation would not be uncommon, but if they are more than about 7% it could have caused system stability issue for sure. If you local power is not that stable then a UPS would be suggested just get one that is 20-30% larger than your rated needs IE if you have an 800 Watt PSU and a Monitor and printer connected to it then I would suggest a 1500 Watt UPS or bigger depending on how many things you are using or connecting to the UPS.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you for your reply. I had to travel out of town so couldn't reply to your post.

I bought and installed an UPS for my system a week back. An APC 660W 1.1 KVA.

I've connected my PC & my 32" LCD screen to the UPS and it works fine on UPS power (i.e. its taking the load without main power).

But I am still getting problems with my system restarting or just not starting at all when I'm running on power from the mains (i.e. with the UPS, but on main power).

I noticed one thing in particular, if my system is running, and I start an appliance at my place (e.g. my Washing Machine), the system shuts down and restarts, but does not POST. Just keeps trying to restart. Is it that the system is not getting enough power to start?

Also, I noticed a trend with most of these restarts happening during daytime. It works most of the time if I turn it on after 11 pm with almost no restarts.

Really appreciate your help in understanding what is happening. Should I get my PSU changed?

Thanks,

Nimo

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest moving the computer to another outlet to test it or if you can move the computer to another location to test it and if the problem is still there we can try replacing the PSU but what you have posted would suggest a power problem in your house.

• 2 weeks later...

Today I just removed my PSU out of my system cabinet and was planning to take it to a friend's place to test it. But just had a thought and plugged it back in to see if it would work.

I put all the connections back, except connecting my 2 extra system fans to a single Molex cable (I've got 5 system fans, 3 running off the motherboard, 2 off a single Molex cable....The other Molex cable connects to the DVD drive)

When I connected everything back, I didn't connect the 2 system fans running on the Molex cable. I connected the other Molex to the DVD drive as usual.

Surprisingly, my PC worked. Usually, it would not start up. But this time it did.

I remember now, that about 3 weeks back (before the problem started), I hadn't connected both the system fans to the Molex cable, so is this a problem with my PSU?

Would really appreciate your thoughts on whether there is something wrong with the PSU or the voltages on the Molex.

Archived