Corsair Community

800D + H50 + Classified = Incompatible ?

Nordic

• 1 month later...

With the stock motherboard cooler, you cannot fit the H50 inside an 800D when using a Classified (759,760,762) board. The H50's radiator or fan (depending on how you decide to mount it) will overlap the area that the stock Classified heatsink tower occupies by a few millimeters.

The fan for the H50 can be mounted on the oustide however, and screws threaded to the radiator inside. The power cord from the fan can then be run in through one of the water cooling grommets and plugged into whatever source (mobo or PSU direct connection). This is not that inelegant, but some may grimmace at having to put a 120mm fan on the outside of their shiny, sleek Corsair 800D.

This is the only solution other than swapping out the heatsink on the Classified or swapping out the radiator fan with a slimmer one. The stock fan is a standard 25mm depth 120mm fan and so can be swapped out with a 20mm depth 120mm fan (such as a Yate Loon D12SL-12C) and fit. The H50 not fitting against the Classified stock cooler is an issue of a couple millimeters and so this should be a second solution. I don't have a 20mm depth fan to confirm though. But the space issue looks to be less than 5mm. Please note that you still will be unable to install a push-pull H50 configuration internally with the stock Classified heatsink.

I have installed the EK full cover waterblock and while you are able to mount the H50 inside the case with this block installed, you cannot install a push-pull fan configuration on the H50 inside the case unless you have a 90 degree fitting on the top 1/4" thread. The fitting height can be no more than approx. 30mm (give or take a few mm) or you will brush against the second fan when an H50 in push-pull is installed inside the case.

There are 90 degree fittings that come in at well under 30mm, so it SHOULD be possible to do this. I am trying it as soon as my 90 degree fittings arrive. They have a stated height of 23mm, and so should come in just fine. The lower 1/4" thread connector for the full cover EK block is well out of the area and so whatever style fitting there is fine.

For people who are using two part motherboard blocks, it should be possible to use the H50 in push-pull internally as long as you connect the the lower and upper motherboard block with 90 degree fittings.

NOTE: You can mount the fan and radiator on one of the top 120mm fan mounts, however this will limit your ability to install additional radiators greater than a 120mm. Due to all radiators having small reservoirs at the top and bottom (regardless of single or dual pass), mounting them in a standard configuration would cause any 240mm radiator to overlap with the H50 if it is mounted on the top. Therefore the only solution to top mounted water cooling in addition to the H50 if you have the H50 mounted topside is to use a single 120mm radiator.

I highly suggest either swapping out the Classified's standard heatsink or swapping the H50 to a slimmer depth 120mm fan (20mm) if you wish to mount everything internally at the rear 120mm fan grill in the 800D. Otherwise you will severly limit your top mounted additional radiator options for further cooling.

This is equally applicable to 759, 760, and what looks to be 762 owners as well. The tall heatsink portion on these three boards are in the exact same location and will cause the exact same issue. Since the H50 is a popular alternative to high end air coolers, I figured this will undoubtedly come up with a few people. And since many people decide to watercool the motherboard when using air coolers (which the H50 can be grouped in with), I figured the second situation might present itself as well.

Also, not to shamelessly bump my own post, but this might want to be stickied.

The Classified 3-way (both 759 and 760) AND the new Classified 4-way use the exact same cooling solution and coincidentally have this troublesome part in the exact same location on the board (the finned heatsink).

Owners of all three of these boards will run into this issue.

And the fan and waterblock fitting advice will apply for all three of these boards as well. Considering this unit out performs the high end air coolers, there will be more people using this combination every day.

• Corsair Employees

We have been able to successfully install the H50 in the 800D with the EVGA classified board, but it was a tight fit. You may need to loosen up the motherboard mounting screws to slide the board so that its just right.

Also like kgk mentioned you can install the H50 on the top of the case if that is more convenient of a setup for you.

We have been able to successfully install the H50 in the 800D with the EVGA classified board, but it was a tight fit. You may need to loosen up the motherboard mounting screws to slide the board so that its just right.

Also like kgk mentioned you can install the H50 on the top of the case if that is more convenient of a setup for you.

Not that I'm doubting you, but that must be extremely tight and exerting pressure on the Classified's tower heatsink. The only way I could fathom getting that to work is that the heatsink gets nudged slightly, but this puts pressure on the already fragile Classified heatsink assembly. That can't be good.

If you are moving the motherboard as far away from the I/O shield as is possible with motherboard mounting screw loosening, you'll run into another issue. When you plug in cards and need to secure them to the PCI brackets, it will exert extra pressure against the card and motherboard at the PCI/e connector. So while you'll be able to very snuggly fit an H50, you'll wind up with a secondary issue when it comes time to mount cards. You already need to squeeze a little to get GPUs to line up with the bracket screws, and scooting the motherboard back would only exacerbate this to a level where you could possibly begin pulling a PCIe connetor loose due to stress over time or induce warping. That's not to say it will, but you should note that it will be adding to an already stressed area.

I mean, I have all three components laying right here, and tried it repeatedly. Squeezing it in there would require pressure against the Classified heatsink or undue stress on the PCIe connector and the GPU PCB, which is something I did not want to risk.

If aesthetics on the rear of the case are not of any concern, I would again highly recommend mounting the fan for the H50 externally on the rear and simply threading the 3-pin connector in through the rubber grommets above it. A fan shroud can be placed on the fan if you're worried about it catching on anything. They can also be picked up for a dollar at the local computer store, so it's not an inconvenience (in my opinion). The Classified heatsink assembly is notoriously fragile compared to ones like the ASUS Rampage II Extreme heatsinks. Giving it ample berth seems like a wise decision.

Also, I'm installing a dust filter on the rear intake regardless, as since the H50 will draw air into the case, it negates the effectiveness of the dust filter on the bottom since the H50 has no filter.

That being said, for watercooled Classified boards there appears to be zero conflict with the standard H50 assembly, and even push-pull should work just fine as long as you utilize 90° fittings.

And finally, I recommend the H50 over any tower air cooler. The performance on the device has been nothing short of jaw-dropping. I was not expecting it to keep my i7 975 at 4.0Ghz cooler than a Megahalem. All while putting far, far less stress on the motherboard mounting brackets and CPU socket. It's also whisper quiet while achieving that performance. I mean, to be honest, I will probably be buying and installing them on all the future builds I do for friends. The device is that good.

I don't want to sound like I'm fellating Corsair here after pointing out a drawback, but regardless of that minor issue, I still highly recommend this product and don't want to dissuade people from buying it. Simply take note that in the 800D (and possibly other cases with similar rear designs) that you might run into this issue with the stated combination of products.

Also, great thanks for the Sticky (assuming RAM GUY did that).

The problem will probably only present itself with Classified owners (I can't seem to find any other motherboard where this would be an issue) but nevertheless should help them find a quick solution that avoids them returning the H50.

EVGA makes great motherboards and has great support, but man do their chipset heatsinks...well...stink. The 780 that blew hot air down onto your GPU, the Classified with a massive, passive tower that could cook an egg...

Much love to Corsair and EVGA though. So many different combinations of PC components and it's bound to happen.

Yours kidding right?You bent the back of a brand new $299 case to put in that cooler?I would of ripped that cheap *** heatsink off the classified before I did that.:bigeyes:

Well, it might actually be more along the line of "straighten" as much as bending. There are lot of angles in the area of the fan and back-plain. so it pretty easy for the some misalignment, (1.5 degress over 140mm would give me the 1/8" I needed.) Obviously, if the radiator doesn't fit, the case isn't perfect.

Besides, it may be a $280 case, but it was a $440 motherboard, so ripping the heatsink off doesn't seem more prudent.

• 1 month later...
I am distressed with this news as I begin my new build with the 800D, H50, and EVGA x58 Classified (760). The installation video on the Corsair site seems to be installing the H50 in the 800D with a Classified MB. The fit seems straight forward. Am I missing something?

I have purchased two Scythe Kaze-Jyuni Slim fans (SY1212SL12M). As they are only 12 mm in depth, this would gain me ~ 24 mm in total depth. Do you see this as a viable option? The blades are much smaller. The package states that the air flow is 38.05 CFM. I would value your opinions.

Cheers.

• 1 month later...
I took a slightly different approach. I was concerned about my Vreg temps on my Classified (760), so I mounted the rad/push-pull in the upper grill and then replaced/remounted the rear case fan to blow cool air in/across the vreg cooler. Addtionally I mounted two more fans in the remaining grills at the top to force/pull air through the case and out the top. So far temps have been very good.

• 5 months later...
I mounted it up top. With a 4ghz overclock still get ok temps. 24c idle 52c 100% load for 30 mins. here's some pics http://imgur.com/aFUC3l&ROYhB&OX5po&Goovn&SZaN6

you did it wrong. mount the radiotor with it's rservoirs facing the other way, facing the short length of the case, not the long way as you have it in pic. it fits perfectcly and there will be no issues with adding a fan next to it. you can also do push and pull that way as there is plenty distance before making contact with anything else on the motherboard or pump.

i have the 700d case and x58 classsified as well (which should be identicle dimension-wise) and have the radiotor mounted on top on first slot. i gutted a cheap 120mm fan which the raditor is mounted to and the stock corsair fan behind the raditor to do a push technique, altough it's pushing hot air from the case through the rad and on out. it works ok and i don't have to worry about heating up my case and gpu's that way.

Archived