Corsair Community

800D Air Flow

SvenDell

So I just received my case, PSU, fans, optical drive, and fan controller last night and threw in some old parts to check air flow while I wait for the other components to come in the mail. When I fired up the system I discovered that the stock 140mm fans really don't push very much air, even when running at full speed. I could barely feel any airflow with my hand positioned very close to the fans, however they are indeed whisper quiet. I installed three high quality 120mm fans from a company that rhymes with mamoxia (I wouldn't consider them a Corsair competitor since Corsair does not distribute fans). I have them set to intake air and I noticed a huge drop in case temps after about 30 minutes of idling. My case temps went from mid-high 30s to no more than 21 Celsius with 2 8800gtx cards pumping out heat and a stock intel core 2 duo fan. I do not have windows running yet so I cannot get cpu/gpu temps but all I can say is if you are doing air cooling in this thing you cannot assume that two low noise fans will be enough to cool all the fancy equipment people put into a high-end case. I am likely going to go with the H50 cpu cooler and was wondering what people thought about doing a push/pull config as an exhaust setup over the radiator, seems like there is plenty of cool air to spare at the moment in my case. This means that I would have cool air coming from the top and the bottom and going out the back over the radiator.

yes, I am interested. I think what you need to do is replace the lower 140mm fan with a good one and change your top fans to spit out the air, and then have the h50 taking air INTO the case. the air going up from the bottom, and then also fromt he back should rise and go out the top.

• 2 years later...
I found these units that have a rating of 117 cfm at Performance PC's (I think the stock units are 69cfm). I purchased a pair of these for my Obsidian 800D, one for the lower intake, and another for the upper rear ( I plan to make it an intake as well). I have yet to build my system so I cannot comment on their performace potential. They are expensive, so I am sure that is a factor in any purchase decision, this is just an FYI.

Any suggestions on a good 140mm fan? That egg site does not have a huge selection. I found one particular brand but they are 140mm fans with 120mm mounting holes... The rear exhaust has the 120mm mounting holes but not the bottom intake.

That 140mm fan with 120mm mounting holes is also one I'm considering. The Noctua?

Also, the Silverstone Air Penetrator looks neat.

Archived