Corsair Community

Asus Rampage Formula + Four CM2X2048-8500C5D v1.1 does not POST

Frost98

Hi everyone,

I know this has been posted already (I did use the search function) but I've tried all the recommended solutions by theramguy and everyone else and nothing has worked for me. I have a Rampage Formula with four sticks of DDR2-8500 2GB. I ran with 4GB for over a year with no problems (memtest86+ showed no problems when I first built the rig) and was happy with it.

I then bough an addition 4GB, slotted it into the mobo and right off the bat, it failed to POST. I ran memtest on the two new sticks with at least three passes and reported zero errors. I ran memtest on the two old sticks with at least three passes and also got no errors. I then switched slots between the old and the new and still could not POST.

I can only POST when I have 4GB of either the new or old RAM or a mixture in two of the four slots but never all 8GB. I have followed instructions on bumping up the DRAM voltage to 2.1V and cranking up the NB Voltage by +0.05V to what is now 1.45V and lowered the DDR speeds to 667Mhz and 800Mhz on two tries and nothing POSTs with 8GB.

I tried to hit up ASUS but they didn't offer any new ideas. I'm getting really tired of this... the mobo is great but I didn't forsee this problem since it did say it has 8GB RAM support. Any ideas?

• Corsair Employee

If all of the modules will run with out problems at their tested setting s but it will not post with 4 modules installed that would suggest a problem with the MB.

Did you try and install just two modules in slots A2 and B2 and see if it will post?

Hi Ramguy,

I did indeed try it in slots A2 and B2 and also ran memtest86 (v4.00) on it with a minimum of 3 passes with zero errors.

Here is a list of all the combos I tried (each with memtest86 and 3 passes):

A1 and B1 with original 2 x 2GB sticks = pass

A2 and B2 with original 2 x 2GB sticks = pass

A1 and B1 with new 2 x 2GB sticks = pass

A2 and B2 with new 2 x 2GB sticks = pass

A1 (original) and B1 (new) 2 x 2GB sticks = pass

A2 (original) and B2 (new) 2 x 2GB sticks = pass

I did not try A1 new and B2 original because I did not think I would get any further.

All of the above were tested on DDR2800 and 667 speeds with the NB voltage at 1.452 to 1.458V consistently (measured not theoretical).

I threw a whole day running tests and find it odd... I may have to be content with 4GB of RAM but I cannot find any conclusive evidence that the mobo is NFG.

Frost

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Frost98,

Your rig and problems look just like mine! - it looks on the forum like there are plenty of folk who can't seem to coax their rigs to run 8GB of this memory.

I can, even at 1066Mhz if I leave the PC switched on for at least half-a-hour to warm-up before restarting and then it runs fine. If I just use 6GB there is no warm-up time needed. Is that true for you too?

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived