Corsair Community

Problem with 4 x CM2X4096-8500C5D

Sylvainp

I have an Asus Maximus Formula (X38 chipset) and I have been using a pair of Dominator CM2X4096-8500C5D v1.1 & 2.1V for 2 years without any problem. My Quad Q6600 is OC to 3.0 Ghz and never had any issue using default voltage, same for NB, SB, etc...

This week I bought another set of CM2X4096-8500C5D but rev 2.1 and 2.1V

I want to get 8GB as I will jump to a 64bits Windows (Vista or Windows 7)

Now I have Vista 32 bits but I don't get the full 4GB of my total memory.

If I test my first set of memory (v1.1) I have no problem.

Same for the new memory if I only put them and not all 4 sticks of memory.

But I have only test the new memory 1 pass at Memtest86+

When I put all 4 sticks then I got errors and a bunch of them and also a BSOD in Vista. My first one since a long long time !

I also tried to test the memory with Vista memory diagnostic program and it also found some errors while I use all 4 memory sticks.

Do I need to boost memory voltage ?

Is it possible that revision 1.1 and revision 2.1 incompatible ?

With all 4 sticks can I run the memory to 1066 or I really need to slow it down ?

Any settings or voltage I could set ?

Thanks

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I am using Memtest86+ v4.00 Is this version reliable ?

Do you mean that I cannot run all 8GB at 1066 ?

I will need to lower it down to 667 to get reliable memory ?

Why with 2 x 2GB I can run them at their spec (1066 5-5-5-15) without any problem and if I put 2 extra memory stick I will have to lower down the DRAM frequency ?

Am I get it right ?

My Q6600 is OC to 3.00 ( 9x 333) for 2 years without any issue since the memory upgrade

Here are some of my settings

DRAM Frequency : 1066

Timing 5-5-5-15

DRAM static read control: Auto

Transaction Booster: Auto

CPU Voltage : 1.30 (now) was 1.2875 before

CPU PLL Voltage: Auto

North Bridge Voltage : Auto (maybe 1.31 to 1.33v ?)

DRAM Voltage: 2.10v

FSB Termination Voltage: Auto

South Bridge : auto

Loadline calibration: Enable

All other reference voltage settings set to Auto

That's the latest version from the link Ram Guy supplied, so yes, it's reliable.

FYI, it's TWIN2X4096, not CM2X4096. Corsair cannot guarantee what they haven't tested, namely those 2 pairs together. Don't forget you're also maxing out the load on the memory controller which will usually require a drop in the memory speed.

That's the latest version from the link Ram Guy supplied, so yes, it's reliable.

FYI, it's TWIN2X4096, not CM2X4096.

Yes you are right...

Well the first time I tried all 4 memory sticks (v1.1 & V2.2) I didn't have any error for 2 pass.

Then I retry and got some errors... I finally decide to retest my original 2x 2GB without any errors for over 4 hours.

Then I check the new stick and didn't get any errors too.

Then I finally put them back all together and restest and no errors for 4 passes. So I conclude that maybe it was a memory stick not inserted properly and the problem was mechanical (not good contact).

And I left the memory as is... But I was not conviced and I stress my PC with Prime95 for a few hours without any errors and by activating the Round off checking.

From there I reboot my PC and retest with Memtest86+ V4.0 and I got some error on test 1, 3, all in the range between 7000 MB to 8192 MB.

Now I have retest tonight all 4 memory at 800Mhz with CAS 5-5-5-15 a full 3 passes without any errors.

Could it be that because I mix 2 different revision of memory could cause this and it is the limit of the North Bridge not able to manage 4 banks full of memory at 1066Mhz ?

If this is the case then I can use 4GB at 1066Mhz or 8GB at 800Mhz.

A little bit of loss in performance though !

Yes you are right...

Now I have retest tonight all 4 memory at 800Mhz with CAS 5-5-5-15 a full 3 passes without any errors.

Could it be that because I mix 2 different revision of memory could cause this and it is the limit of the North Bridge not able to manage 4 banks full of memory at 1066Mhz ?

If this is the case then I can use 4GB at 1066Mhz or 8GB at 800Mhz.

A little bit of loss in performance though !

Oh by the way on my memory it's mark on the label : CM2X2048-8500C5D

Well my joy was short.... I also test the memory with test #9 and they fail with all 4 sticks.

Now i'm back testing my original memory in both bank (Blue and white) and didn't have any errors for several hours at 1066 CAS 5-5-5-15 2.1V

Now I will try the new memory by themselves at the same settings and also I will try all memory banks with the same set.

I'm really start thinking of mixing v1.1 and v2.1 are not compatible together.

Finally found the problem !!!

I have taken the good decision to test the new memory stick one by one.

I discovered very fast that one memory stick is bad really bad.

I swap the memory to all 4 banks on the motherboard with errors on all of them. Then I put the other memory and no errors.

So I have one defective memory stick in my new kit.

I just bought this set 15 days ago but only have them in hand for a few days.

I bought them at Newegg.ca should I return them or I would be better to RMA to Corsair ?

Archived