Corsair Community

HX620 and two power hungry video cards

YCH

Up until recently, I was only running one video card on my system - an nVidia GTX285. The HX620 came with two PCIE 6+2 cables, so I used both to connect to the power supply and video card. This means I no longer have any 6-pin sockets available on the power supply. There are, however, two remaining 5-pin sockets.

Recently, I decided to dust off my old 8800GTX to use as a dedicated PhysX processor. I thought then I'd need some 5-pin to 6-pin PCIE cables, so I contacted Corsair. They responded and sent me a Y-splitter type 6-pin PCIE cable...which means I'd still need a free 6-pin socket on my power supply, which I don't.

So I contacted the Corsair jackflash dude again, and asked for either:

a) one more Y-splitter cable

or

b) two 5-pin to 6-pin PCIE cables

Okay, now here comes the technical part. I have no idea how the rails in the HX620 are distributed (in some old thread a user says it's basically a single rail supply but it's not an official reply so I'm not going to treat that as confirmation), so if the Corsair jackflash guy sends me another Y-splitter cable, I'll end up having to use both Y-splitter cables and power both my video cards from the two 6-pin PCIE sockets on my HX620. Is the HX620 able to easily supply the power to both my power hungry video cards via those two 6-pin sockets at peak power?

FEAR6655,

How do you know the HX620 is a single rail supply?

a) Because RAMGUY just confirmed it, and

b) Because JonnyGuru opened it and through physical inspection confirmed that the 3 virtual "rails" all terminate at the same place, and

c) Corsair confirmed it.

Thanks for the confirmation, RAM GUY.

FEAR6655,

Well your 2nd reply came after RAM GUY, so a) and c) are invalid in this case. Reply b) is good to know because then there is a third-party effort to corroborate RAM GUY's statement. Beer's on me if you were just joking around.

I was reiterating the 3 pieces of evidence I have to backup up my statement. c) was a report from a Corsair representative (not RAMGUY) some time back in response to a request for confirmation that it is in fact single rail. So while part of that reply may be "null", it isn't invalid.

Archived