Corsair Community

Question about Memory Installation

chenc22

Hi. I recently brought 2 x 2GB Corsair XMS2 memory modules (800MHz) and installed them into my computer. When I looked at computer properties, I can see about 3.5gb available. When I ran SiSoftware Sandra for system analysis, I saw that I have four memory slots and 1GB maximum installable memory. Does this mean that each slot can only support up to 1GB and that I should have brought 4 x 1GB memory modules instead? Is installing a 2GB module a problem? I contacted Dell and I can install up to 4GB memory, with 2gb max per slot. So is Sandra messed up? My system is also rated for 400-MHz and 533-MHz DDR2 unbuffered SDRAM. How does that affect my computer? Any serious problems? Is that also why SiSoftware says "Memory bus speed exceeds Chipset rated speed. Reduce FSB/memory multiplier"? What can I do?

• Corsair Employees
From the information I could find, we could only recommend using a 1GB 533MHz part with your system, such as our VS1GB533D2. If everything is stable then it sounds like your system is recognizing the memory properly. with a 32-bit operating system you wont detect more than about 3.5GB due to software limitations.

Archived