Corsair Community

HX850W problems in less than 24hrs

MUGEN

I replaced the PSU in my system specs with a HX850W yesterday and got a weird problem where it would just shut down the pc randomly then restart then shut down or not even turn on. I checked all wiring and found no problems and I think the wired PCI-e connectors can handle my OC GTX 295, modular doesn't make a difference? I'm well under the max rating of this PSU and I already put in my older 850W PSU and it's having no problems running my PC now. I also noticed that the HX850w would trip my APC surge protector saying the 120v is low every time the pc was turned on. Also when it shutdown restarts it sets my ram back to 1333vs1866and says the OC failed.

2 questions

-would this restarting hurt anything on my PC?

-I have a Koolance external cooling system that runs off one 12v molex connector which uses 30-50W. Does it matter which modular 4 pin port I use on this PSU and can the cables handle this power?

PS. First my Dominator GT's and now my HX850, what next my 2 SSD's:bigeyes:

I tested the voltages with a multimeter and they are all fine. My APC surge protector's AVR was tripped every time I turned on the PSU even with no load on it.

Since no one posted in here yet I'm going to do the smart thing and request a RMA now.

Have you tried plugging the PSU directly to the wall outlet?
Nope. The APC surge protector is rated at 1500w and has no problem running a 12 amp vacuum cleaner or an 7 amp laser printer. The voltage is at 120v so their is no reason for the APC's AVR to turn on even with nothing running on it and it only turns on for a quarter of a second then turns off. This shouldn't happen unless the PSU is maybe using it's max power when it turns on which would lower the voltage down to where the AVR would turn on.

• 5 weeks later...

I got A new PSU back early this week and It doesn't have the problems listed above and hasn't randomly restart either yet. I've noticed at idle it's around 50w more efficient than the old psu I had.

Now I wait on the corsair store to have the H30 waterblock again:sigh!:

Archived