Corsair Community

Problems attaining reasonable temps

cjmarsh725

I seem to be unable to achieve the advertised results with my H5O cooling system as my Core i7 at stock speeds idles in the low 50s and reaches the high 80s under load. This is obviously unacceptable and I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem. I have tried adding more artic silver 5 and scraping off the excess but to no avail. I have tried switching the pump connector from the motherboard to a direct connection with the psu but it yields about the same temps. So far I am mystified and very disappointed in this product and I hope that I can solve the problem rather than have to find a different cooling solution. Any help you can provide would be appreciated, thanks.

Unfortunately I cannot take a picture of my setup but my case is a HAF 932. I currently only have the stock fan (provided with the H5O) pulling the air out of the case from the radiator. Will any high CFM fan work for a push/pull setup or is there some particular fan I should be looking at?

Any fan should work. But I believe I read that it is a good idea to have two fans that are the same. So either get a fan rated the same as the stock fan or buy two new fans to use.

I believe Corsair designed it to push in from the outside through the radiator. But the reviews I have read said doing it in an exhaust config will work depending on your case and will be helped by adding a second fan.

• Corsair Employees

If you believe your CPU temperatures to be too high then there are a few things you should make sure of.

1. If you have used thermal paste make sure it has been spread evenly and try remounting the H50 to be certain that the H50 is mounted properly and is making good contact

2. Also be sure that the power header you are using to plug the pump into is not throttling the power going to the pump, you should be able to disable any such features in the BIOS, but it may be a good idea to test a different power header on the board to be sure.

3. If you are using a 3rd party fan, try using the supplied Corsair fan to see if the results are any different, and make sure the fan is blowing cool air from outside the case into the radiator, and into the case. You can find an arrow on the fan which will point in the direction of the airflow.

Any fan should work. But I believe I read that it is a good idea to have two fans that are the same. So either get a fan rated the same as the stock fan or buy two new fans to use.

I believe Corsair designed it to push in from the outside through the radiator. But the reviews I have read said doing it in an exhaust config will work depending on your case and will be helped by adding a second fan.

all the tests ive seen online have shown very little improvement using a second fan in push/pull vs. the extra noise level of having another fan.

first of all how exactly are you measuring your temps?

what is your ambient room temp? this makes a huge difference if its really warm.

flip the h50 fan and make it an intake. i assume you have top mounted fans in that haf932 so the rear exhaust is pretty much moot. right now youre cooling the h50 using warm case air.

make sure that when you put thermal paste on that your cleaning the old stuff off very well, and that youre not putting the new stuff on like peanut butter. it should be as thin as possible. all you want to do is fill the cracks between the cpu/heatsink plate.

as for whether any fan would work...yes of course. BUT, please note the cfm and static pressures of the fan you intend to use. more cfm, more cooling power. any fan will work but not any fan would work well.

I am measuring temps with Real Temp and Core Temp. My ambient room temp ranges from about 15-30C and the measurements are taken at around an ambient of 25C.

I did try flipping the fan to make it an intake and I got about a 5 degree drop, so thanks for the tip. I also used Isopropyl Alcohol to remove all the old paste and reapplied the AS5 achieving about another 5 degree drop, bringing my temps to the mid-40s. In addition, I've ordered a Scythe 120x38mm fan w/ 133 CFM so I'm hoping this should drop my temps low enough to be able to overclock.

However, in order to achieve temps that are only a few C above the ambient, as I have seen elsewhere in these forums, I still have to bring it down another ten degrees. Is this a reasonable expectation with the fan I've ordered or do I have to increase my case's airflow even more?

I am measuring temps with Real Temp and Core Temp. My ambient room temp ranges from about 15-30C and the measurements are taken at around an ambient of 25C.

I did try flipping the fan to make it an intake and I got about a 5 degree drop, so thanks for the tip. I also used Isopropyl Alcohol to remove all the old paste and reapplied the AS5 achieving about another 5 degree drop, bringing my temps to the mid-40s. In addition, I've ordered a Scythe 120x38mm fan w/ 133 CFM so I'm hoping this should drop my temps low enough to be able to overclock.

However, in order to achieve temps that are only a few C above the ambient, as I have seen elsewhere in these forums, I still have to bring it down another ten degrees. Is this a reasonable expectation with the fan I've ordered or do I have to increase my case's airflow even more?

where exactly did you see others having cpu temps a few degrees over ambient?? a room temp between 15-30c??? i think you should buy yourself a thermometer. so you shaved off about 10 degress from putting the fan on right and making sure the paste was on properly......take a thermometer reading of the room ambient, and at the same time run your 2 programs to find out the cpu temp. your cpu temp is going to fluctuate depending on your room ambient. from temps ive seen online high 30s low 40s seems about right for an i7.

Just a note about your 133cfm fan. I installed 2 106cfm fans for pulling air out of my case. These fans blow so hard I can feel them halfway across the room. I modified my Molex so the fans only get 5V and the situation is managable but at full power its like a hurricane in the room.

As it turns out all I needed is the 6 fans on my 3x120mm radiator for any OC adventure. The other 7 case fans only give me 2C drop and I must put up with hearing them run,not worth it. 133cfm is moving quite a lot of air.

Let me check the spec on these fans I am calling 106cfm,you get working with so many fans and you may be in error,possible they were up near 190,I will pull the invoice.

Since I am waiting for the 1156 bracket I decided to install the H50 into my two other computers to see how the results are trying different configurations. In short my conclusions where that if you have a "normal" case do what Corsair says and make the fan an intake to get cold outside air.

One of my cases is a 1200 which I put a total of eight 120mm fans and the one 200mm fan up top. I was able to get the best temps in that case using push/pull exhaust. Of course that case has insane airflow and is never warm inside.

I recommend that people play with the configurations to see what works best for you. If you don't want to to that and just want a simple best way to install it use the Corsair recommendation of single intake fan. Probably their fan.

My ambient room temps are never over 25c (77).

Archived