Corsair Community

P128 AHCI vs. IDE mode performance difference

markd89

• Corsair Employees
More then likely none, I have not seen any real difference in IDE or AHCI mode and with some MB's I was able to get a bit better performance in benchmarks in IDE mode. I suspect that it was mostly driver related for the specific MB I was using.

Thanks for the fast response.

I have it ordered and should get it in a couple of days. I'll use Acronis to image my existing hard disk onto the SSD and leaving things in IDE mode makes that much more straightforward.

Thanks again,

Mark

You would be better off doing a fresh install (I know its a pain) and then take an image afterwards for future reference. It's always a bit dodgy taking an image from an old spinning platter and putting it on an SSD. You might face alignment problems and that would affect performance greatly.

If you're using XP then you will have to manually align your SSD - if you're using Vista or Windows 7 then things might go smoother. If the image fails to produce the results you expect then a fresh install will be required.

I received my P128. It has the latest firmware "Q". I cloned my existing XP Pro system onto the P128 using Acronis.

Per RAM Guy, I didn't do any special reconfiguration - aligning or disabling of any of the XP features. The only change I made was disabling a background defragmenter I had been using on my old spinning disk.

Unscientifically, my system is noticeably snappier. It boots faster, web browsing is a snappier, launching apps faster, etc. It's also noticeably quieter.

I ran ATTO and got peak reads of 200MB/s and writes of about 150MB/s. My previous spinning disk drive got about 50 MB/s on both, so this is 4 times faster on reads and 3 times faster on writes.

I appreciate all the help!

Take care,

Mark

Archived