Corsair Community

16GB Voyager GT slower than 4GB Voyager GT?

munz

I just received my replacement 16GB Voyager GT as my original 4GB Voyager GT had died, and although the read speeds are comparable (~29MB/s), it seems the 16GB version only writes at a disappointing ~9MB/s as compared to well over 25MB/s for the (discontinued) 4GB variant. Those are the speeds out of the box, so I'm still using FAT32 with my current system specs under Windows 7 x64, is the 16GB really so much slower than the 4GB version or am I doing something wrong (ie: need to reformat it)? Thanks

Also I do use large files >4GB so would formatting to NTFS be detrimental to performance?

thanks ramguy,

i've downloaded the software from here and used the settings "Full (Erase ON)" and Format Type Adjustment "OFF"

are those the correct settings? i've got the free version of HD tach which had a read speed of about 29.2MB/s, will retest and repost once the format has completed.

upon completion of the format, the file transfer speed is hovering around ~15mb/s.

i've attached the hd-bench test results. overall i've seen an improvement of ~6mb/s but it's still far from the 4GB GT's +25mb/s write speeds. is this normal for the 16GB GT?

http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/5880/hdbench.jpg

• Corsair Employee
Speeds are slightly slower than we would expect. Your 4GBGT will be faster since it used SLC technology but cannot on Flash drives any bigger than 8GB for what I can remember. In this case your Flash drive is now MLC which can be slightly slower.

Archived