Corsair Community

TW3X4G1600C9DHX and Intel i5

HLM

Hello,

I'm in the process of upgrading my system with a new motherboard, CPU and RAM. They are the parts listed in my profile.

Now I'm a bit confused as to whether the RAM I've ordered will work with my CPU. I had originally ordered the PC3-10666/DDR3-1333 version as I believe it was listed somewhere as being compatable with my CPU. Now it turns out this part is not in stock, and I've been offered the PC3-12800/DDR3-1600 instead.

Now what I'm worried about is the voltage on these two different sticks. I really don't know much about this sort of thing, and have no experience in adjusting any RAM settings.

Looking at Intel's website, they recommend the RAM doesn't go much higher than 1.5v. However, on the RAM specs on Corsair's site, it lists the 1600 as "Tested at 1600mhx, 1.80v..". Does this just mean the highest it can go, or is this what it's going to be set at on arrival? Will I have to adjust any settings?

The parts have not actually arrived yet, so I haven't had a chance to inspect them and their packaging, manuals etc.

I feared that might be the case..

So I see the TW3X4G1333C9 is on the list of accepted models, but what about the TW3X4G1333C9DHX? Isn't it the same except for the added heatsink part? Although the specs list that model at 1.60V - still more than the recommended 1.5. I don't see any voltage info for the standard TW3X4G1333C9.

I'm assuming that the higher frequency RAM (DDR3-1600) will always have a higher voltage, or is this wrong?

It's all a bit confusing. The CPU manufacturers recommend one thing, while the RAM and motherboard say something different, as well as the place I bought the stuff from.

If I were to keep the RAM I've bought (not that I am thinking of), would it be possible to lower the voltage to a safer level without any problems? Like I said before, I've no experience with this.

Hoping someone can clear it up a bit

I see now that I should have just stuck with that was on that link, but cna I please get an answer to my last questions?

IS there any actual difference between the TW3X4G1333C9, TW3X4G1333C9A and TW3X4G1333C9DHX other than the heat spreaders? The TW3X4G1333C9DHX is not on that page. Are you saying it's absolutely not going to work with my processor?

Also I've been told by a few sources that if I ran the TW3X4G1600C9DHX (Which I am now probably stuck with), it should default to the "safe" voltage/speed of the DDR1333. Or I should at least be able to lower it myself.

[EDIT] Now I see in this thread, Wired has said TW3X6G1600C9 would work fine with the poster's i5 processor. 1600, but not DHX. Is there such a big difference between DHX and non-DHX? Different speeds, voltages or what?

• Corsair Employees
IS there any actual difference between the TW3X4G1333C9, TW3X4G1333C9A and TW3X4G1333C9DHX

There is no difference in the modules only the heat spreader is different is the only difference. And if one is listed for a given MB any of them would work for that system.

TW3X4G1600C9DHX modules should run in that system as the SPD will be set to DDR1066 or DDR1333 just you may not be able to run them at DDR1600 on your system.

Thanks, that's all I needed to know.

I've been running the RAM for about a week now anyway. First I tried it at the default settings, and everything was good. I was originally set to 1066 and 1.5V at 7 7 7 20.

I managed to change this to 1333 by changing "System Memory Multiplier" from Auto to x10. I hope I was supposed to do that! Changed voltage to 1.6v and timings to 9 9 9 24.

No problems so far, and I ram memtest with both setups and received no errors after about 14 passes.

Archived