Corsair Community

PSU Failure

vash5191

Hi, I have a CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX PSU that I bought 8/1/2008 of last year off Newegg. It's been great so far and I love the sturdiness of it. Unforunately, last week I started having a power issue that I believe I've narrowed down to be the PSU.

The first time this happened I had just pressed OK on one of those silly "please don't leave out website" alert boxes and my computer just completely shut off, instantaneously. It wouldn't turn back on after this, so I screwed with the power cords (unplugged and replugged a couple times) and I got it turn back on. After a couple few times of this, about 15 minutes after boot it will shut off every time.

What I did was a friend told me about the paperclip trick. So I tested it once with nothing plugged in (except a fan), and it worked. Then I plugged everything back in, and waited for the comp to die. I then unplugged everything except a fan again and shorted the green and black wires, but the PSU didn't start this time. Unplugging it and replugging it only caused the fan to move for a short second.

I can only assume the PSU needs to be RMA'd, but is there anything else you'd like me to try?

Archived