Corsair Community

Can HX520W handle GTX275?

PrTv

I'm using HX520 now and considering upgrading my VGA from 9600GT to GTX275.

After reading official NVIDIA's recommendation I found that it requires at least 550W PSU with 40A 12+ rail.

I know that HX520, although does not meet the requirement in respect of total watt, delivers just that (40A), but I'm not sure if it cut too close.

My setup is:

C2Q 8400 @3.5Ghz (1.36 Vcore)

Gigabyte EP45-UD3R

2GB*2 DDR800 @2.1V

Audigy 2

3 of Seagate 250GB Sata

3 80cm Case Fans

1 CDRW

Other people in other forum said HX520 should be able to handle it without a problem since in real life, this setup won't even come close to 500W usage, and many people use 5xx watt PSW with this card with water cooler and a lot of fans without a problem.

But I'm still worry if this PSU can really cope with this configuration. If not, I may get GTX260 instead since I can't buy another hi-powered PSU ATM and the cost of both (GTX275 and some 6xx or 7xx PSU) is too much ATM.

I aksed just about the same question on this exact Forum and it was explained that I would not have room for any expansion, I moved up from 850W to 1000W,the P/S is not a area you want to cut corners,its the heart of the beast.

I run the same GPU I think you will be very happy,it is a hot runnig GPU though. I can get between 75-105 fps in FarCry2 benchmark,Flight Simulator and and Crysis run fantastic.

Since you have decided that your current P/S is going to be the one there does not need to be any more discussion.

Thanks for the reply.

I tried that PSU Finder thing, and found that if I ticked "extreme overclock" and/or VGA overclock, HX520 was out of the list.

As my CPU is overclocked @3.52Ghz (around 30%), I think it's "extreme overclock" by that PSU Finder's standard, and I will surely overclock the VGA to squeeze any extra juice. When both of that combined, HX520's gone. :[pouts:

However, I've heard of many people running even more demanding setup with this PSU w/o any problem, so I don't know if the PSU finder is too much on the safe side.

That worries me, as I don't know if it can comfortably handle that configuration.

It'd be great if someone who runs this setup would share his/her experience.

BTW, if my PSU can't handle this setup, what will happen?

If it runs normally (no restart, no performance degration, etc) how can I know if it really handle things comfortably.

Thanks

EDIT:

I aksed just about the same question on this exact Forum and it was explained that I would not have room for any expansion, I moved up from 850W to 1000W,the P/S is not a area you want to cut corners,its the heart of the beast.

I run the same GPU I think you will be very happy,it is a hot runnig GPU though. I can get between 75-105 fps in FarCry2 benchmark,Flight Simulator and and Crysis run fantastic.

Since you have decided that your current P/S is going to be the one there does not need to be any more discussion.

I didn't see your post when I post mine.

You said you "moved up" from 850W PSU to 1K? Just because you want this beast to run comfortably?

I think the more I read the more I realise that my HX520 isn't gonna cut it.

Since I really don't I think I may have a better chance with GTX260 then.

Archived