Corsair Community

How to remove write protect from a Flash Voyager 32GB

WildEye

Hi,

i have the same problem on the exact same falsh voyager 32Gb

and i really don't know how to unlock my drive. i allready try to format on mac and PC but it doesn't work:confused:

please help

Is there any manual key to unlock inside the drive? like the old time floppy disk...

I found an "autorun.inf" file in the drive. It doesn't appear in windows explorer but i can see it in a mac finder.

This file seem to be a well known worm, but it's locked and even on mac os i cannot erase it .

i tried RAV, flash desinfector and usbfix to erase that file, but i still can't erase it because the drive is locked...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I am having the same issue with my Corsair Flash Voyager GT 64GB drive. It keeps telling me it's right protected & I can't get my files or add any new ones.

It's FRUSTRATING! I am running Windows Vista Home Edition. Had this thing 2 months & I already hate it.

Help!

• 1 month later...

I am having the same issue with my Corsair Flash Voyager 8GB drive. Running Windows 7, trying to format it and I get the message "The disk is write protected". It doesn't seem damaged in any way. I'll try booting under Linux and sorting it out that way although I don't have much hope it will work :mad:

I have tried reformatting it as FAT-32, NTFS & exFAT - always with the same result.

I cant return it for replacement because I use it to store and carry .PDFs of documents such as Birth Certificate, Insurance, Breakdown Recovery, Bank details etc.

It is absolutely maddening. I have had this thing for about a year & I will never trust one of these again!

later edit: I have now had a play-about with this under SuSE Linux. Using fdisk, I can delete the four partitions but cant write back the results; I can't delete files or directories; I can't chmod files or directories. I can read files and copy them off the drive.

I have also tried other software and that hasnt worked either.

Using a different (512MB) Corsair Flash Voyager, I can do all of the above.

There is clearly something logically or physically wrong with it. It seems that I am not the only person to have a problem with these USB Flash Drives.

Peeled the rubber casing off last night to see if there was any way of resetting it - there isnt. Its snapped in half, crushed with pliers and in the bin now. In future Ill go for two smaller cheaper pendrives to carry around critical data.

• Corsair Employees
I don't know about that, we sell a large number of these drives more then 250K per month so seeing a few people with the same issue is not uncommon and no reason to be alarmed. Just request a RMA and get it replaced.

• 6 months later...
Try to reformat the drive with the SD-CARD Organization. format utility and then run HD-Bench software to test the performance.

Given the time since your post, is this an actual option of bypassing the write protection?

I own a 32GB Survivor that is no longer usable due to 'write protection'. I use it as temp-backup for my dissertation and run ceedo with vice versa on it to sync all important files between uni, home, laptop and actual backup drives. All licences are only for the corsair drive and now I cannot run any software any more.

I secured all data and after some online research tried

1. adding a StorageDevicePolicies key with WriteProtect set to 0

2. to get rid of the autorun.inf file that is present as well with delete tools and under DOS

3. to run chkdsk and format under DOS (cmd-prompt)

No success. I am aware of your RMA posts as well, but would like to avoid this at all costs because I'd loose my software licences then.

So, is this SD-CARD Organization-software appropriate to be used on my flash drive? Did you come across any other possible solutions to format the 'write protected' drive?

No success. I am aware of your RMA posts as well, but would like to avoid this at all costs because I'd loose my software licences then.
How would you lose your software license by RMA'ing the hardware? How does their licensing work exactly, and how does their software know that you're using a different USB stick?

Personally if its that much of a hassle, and you're syncing with that many locations / devices / PCs, I'd just use an online backup / syncing system.

How would you lose your software license by RMA'ing the hardware?

The licence is registered to the drive and the one drive only. I suppose over the product serial.

Usually it is not much hassle, plug in, run in background, all good...that is what I got the hard cased survivor for. It can survive being carried around constantly.

Online tool, no thanks. A work around is not helping much, I need a solution. If your car/bike ever needs to go to the garage, you wouldn't agree taking the bus is an easier option to go with I suppose.

Archived