Corsair Community

Possible TX750 issue - pretty stumped

mrblink

I usually don't post in forums looking for help, but this one is a stumper. I am building a gaming PC for a client, and I'm having all sorts of what seems like power-related issues. Here's the build in a nutshell:

Gigabyte MA785G-UD3H motherboard, Phenom II 945 CPU, 2GB x 4 ******** DDR2 1066, Corsair TX750W PS, Sapphire HD4870 2GB Vapor-X video card, 2 X 500GB WD black HD, etc.

PC powered up the first try with no issues. Was able to set up the RAID 0, and install Vista. Shut down the PC and went to bed. Next morning it would not turn on at all. Unplugged the PS for a minute, plugged back in, and it booted for a few seconds, then turned off. Did this a few times, then gave up, unplugged it, and went to work.

Came home, plugged it in, and it booted all the way into Windows. Started installing mobo drivers, and it turned off again. Same issue. Figured it was a bad PSU, and got Newegg to replace with another TX750. Got the new PSU, installed it, and it booted into Windows again. Turned off about 1 minute later. Now it will only POST sometimes, and when it does, it only boots for a few seconds, then turns off.

Replaced the mobo with a different Gigabyte, and still the same issue. Replaced the CPU with another 945, and the same issue. Tried different video cards, a single RAM chip in different slots, using on-board video only, unplugging all items not important to POST, and still the same issue.

I am at my wits end with this thing, and I don't know what else to test. It still seems like a power issue to me, what what are the chances of getting 2 bad PSU's in a row? There's nothing else to replace. So I guess my question(s) are:

What can I do to see if it's the PSU or not? It kind of seems like the 8-pin mobo connector/power might be the culprit.

Has anyone else seen any issues with the TX750 with my mobo/CPU? Sent a request to Gigabyte too, but have not heard anything yet.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I replaced the mobo, cpu, tried a different manufacturers PSU, tried different RAM, etc. Replaced all the motherboard standoffs. Issue turned out to be a short in the power switch in the case. It wasn't even completely shorted in the closed position. It actually had a little resistance, but not a complete short (tested with voltmeter). That's why it would turn off randomly, and even turn back on sometimes all by itself. It was the strangest thing I have ever seen. I plugged the non-shorting reset switch into the power switch plug on the mobo, and things are puppies and rainbows now.

I replaced the mobo, cpu, tried a different manufacturers PSU, tried different RAM, etc. Replaced all the motherboard standoffs. Issue turned out to be a short in the power switch in the case. It wasn't even completely shorted in the closed position. It actually had a little resistance, but not a complete short (tested with voltmeter). That's why it would turn off randomly, and even turn back on sometimes all by itself. It was the strangest thing I have ever seen. I plugged the non-shorting reset switch into the power switch plug on the mobo, and things are puppies and rainbows now.

wow id be so pissed off. i remember a while back i bought a case for a client and the place i got it from told me " no returns" i said what if its defective..he says cases dont break. lol. told him to jam it. its this kind of thing that i was thinking of.... glad you solved your problem.

Archived