Corsair Community

120MM fans on top of the Obsidian 800D

smetten

I recently ordered my Obsidian 800D and I was just wondering about 1 more thing.

Namely, if 120mm fans fit outside the case on the top. I notice there is an edge and I'm afraid there will be space between the fan and the case.

http://www.legitreviews.com/images/reviews/1036/corsair_obsidian_top.jpg

Reason for this is that I want to put my fans with a shroud outside the case. As I'm building in a watercooling system, and I will have fans pushing inside the case, and I want the fans pulling to be outside the case.

Here is a pic of the shroud:

http://highflow.nl/images/detailed_images/detailed_image_1432.jpg

Note that I do not want my radiator to be on the outside, just the shroud and the fans.

Kind regards.

I'm planning my watercooling setup. And by putting the setup: fan-rad-shroud-fan inside the case will block part of my motherboard, most likely prevent me from adding the watercooling block on my memory, and will also block the back holes for the tubes to pass through. Which I need for the 140 rad I'm installing at the back.

So I just want to know what my options are.

I can't see Corsair building a case with a indent for 120mm fans that won't fit, would be pretty big oversight if they did. But alas my case has not arrived so I can't say for sure.

Also I think Peter is correct, due to the spacing between the rad and shrouds (as you have them arranged) I don't believe they will buy you much. Why, because the dead air space behind the fans will have been taken care of by the holes in the top of the case. If you put them on the inside against the rads then yes you will get the benefit of the shrouds.

John

From my Novice understanding, in order for the shrouds to work properly, the fans need to push air through the radiator from outside of the case, at least with the feser ones. If this is the case, then you will in effect be pushing too much air into the case? I have the feser radiator with the shrouds and Yate Loon Fans. I am also running the Corsair H50 but it is also supposed to push the air into the case. Add to that, the bottom intake fan and no exhaust fan to speak of. Anyway, I guess my question with this is what is the best way to run this WC setup. I was thinking I will have to push the air out of the case on my Feser radiator in order to at least have some exhaust, how will that effect the water cooling ability and does this pre-empt the use of the shrouds?

From my Novice understanding, in order for the shrouds to work properly, the fans need to push air through the radiator from outside of the case, at least with the feser ones. If this is the case, then you will in effect be pushing too much air into the case? I have the feser radiator with the shrouds and Yate Loon Fans. I am also running the Corsair H50 but it is also supposed to push the air into the case. Add to that, the bottom intake fan and no exhaust fan to speak of. Anyway, I guess my question with this is what is the best way to run this WC setup. I was thinking I will have to push the air out of the case on my Feser radiator in order to at least have some exhaust, how will that effect the water cooling ability and does this pre-empt the use of the shrouds?

The key word, push. Put the fans and shrouds on the inside pushing the air through the rad to atmosphere. If you want you can put fans on the outside as well.

Not sure where you read to "push air through the radiator from the outside", you can do that but why push hot air into your case? Putting the fans and shrouds in the case blowing air through the rad. to atm. would seem to me to be a better solution. Although it still remains to be seen how cool the chassis will run.

Which rad. are you using? I have a TFC360 on its way :)

On the Installation Guiide card for the shroud it states:

"It only makes sense to install the fan in an Air Blowing direction, not!!! air sucking direction. The Xtender does not work with a fan installed in air sucking mode."

"It is always better for the cooling performance to blow outer surrounding air, with ambient temperature into the base and through the radiator than clowin warmed air out of the PC through the radiator to the outside."

Now granted I am a novice at Water cooling but that seems to say to push the air from the ouside across the radiator making it an intake air flow much the same as the H50 says to make it an intake as well. It seems to me that that is all intake and no exhaust and would adversely affect the air pressure inside the case.

I am starting my build this weekend but this has me confused. I guess if nothing else, I could mount the radiator inside on top with the fans/xtenders pushing the air from the inside of the case through the radiator to the outside, there should be enough room for all of this inside the case. I just don't see another way because of air pressure requirement. Any help is appreciated on the configuration.

You are discussing two separate issue's.

"It only makes sense to install the fan in an Air Blowing direction, not!!! air sucking direction. The Xtender does not work with a fan installed in air sucking mode."

Is a validate statement, as a shrouds design is to get rid of dead air space. But that doesn't mean you have to push air from the outside in. You can do it the other way around and it will work just fine.

As for the case air flow dynamics we will need to balance the air flow some how so the air does not stagnate. For that we need to know fan characteristics, which Corsair is not giving us at this time. But so far it would appear that if we put three good fans on the top, 140mm sucking out the back as well as the PSU pulling air out we are not going to have enough fresh air coming into the case. One solution that's been mentioned is reversing the 140mm fan at the rear, which should help a lot.

Sounds like we will have our work cut out for us in order to get the proper air flow !

• 2 years later...

Archived