Corsair Community

Firmware Update Time-Frame?

hardwickj

Is there any time-frame at all for when fresh firmware updates will become available for the X-series drives? It would be great just so we know what to expect. Other Indilinx-based SSD's are releasing them nearly weekly, yet we haven't seen a single one yet from Corsair. Were still sitting at "1.0" which the drive shipped with, and I have no idea what is even entailed by that version number since I cannot locate a description anywhere.

Please Corsair, give us some information! I realize one of your sticky posts mention they will be available from the forums "soon", but that isn't good enough!!!

I am mega-close to getting a Corsair Extreme SSD. Just waiting for the fabled Windows 7 to make it's debut :)

I read in the sticky a SSD Download Archive will be created. Where will this be created / has been created, do you know? At least then keen-eyed people will have a place to look and constantly monitor in the hope of a firmware update...

it saddens me seeing so many people upset over a technology that is far from perfect. purchasing the SSDs and expecting this "TRIM" function to work right out of the box when M$ has not even guaranteed functionality just yet. like i read in another thread, someone posted that there is nothing wrong with the current SSDs or firmware, they are way faster than platter drives as is which is very true. anticipating a future function and actually getting upset or anxious because its not available yet is ridiculous and a waste of time complaining about it. had you complaining users done your proper research before purchase the staff here would not have to sound like a broken record citing the same info for months over and over and over.

by next spring im confident that M$ and SSD manufacturers will be on the same page.

reading through all these complaints reminds me of all the folks that bought HDTVs and complained that the picture sucked but they never bothered to call their signal provider and order an HD receiver. or even make sure HDTV signal was available to them. see my point?

do i want an SSD? sure i do but since ive done my research i will wait until all the proposed functions are fully implemented and supported by the OS and the equipment before i suffer from anxiety or buyers remorse.

kvetching to the staff here about firmware and such is just a waste of time, are we even certain the firmware will absolutely be end user installable? you may have to not only send in your drive but will also probably lose every byte of data on it in the process either way.

just my .02 here, if the staff here thinks im out of line, go ahead and delete my post but i've said my peace.

Gotta agree with you Synthohol - SSD technology, whilst not new, is new to an end user environment. Under lab conditions you can create the optimal environment for an SSD to function under, but let loose in the wild and all sorts of unforseens arise. In effect, as always, early adopters are set into the league of guinnea-pigs (also known as beta testers) and we rely upon them for feedback into the lab so that the variables can be tweaked.

If you don't mind being a guinnea-pig (and I don't lol) then great, get on with using the device and report back anything you find - either good or bad; that way we can strive for perfection, but to expect perfection straight out of the box .... well, I suppose dream worlds do exist somewhere.

Question: would you prefer firmware that works with a minimum of gliches and be preapred to wait, or would you want the latest and maybe not so greatest now and perhaps end up with a brick? I would rather wait until the firmware is tested as best it can be before being released. Indilinx are known to be pretty much on the ball, but they also err on the side of caution through past experience of letting their babies out into the wild. On the Samsung front, well I really don't want to go there ........

Yes, but when your disk degrades to the point where it performs less than a harddrive and there is no way to restore this performance than a destructive erase, this is a problem.

At least other SSD manufacturers offer tools, while a little inconvenient still allow performance to be restored. (OCZ Wiper)

I bought the Samsung-based drives because I was under the impression that self-healing was built in. Too bad its on a firmware that I cannot flash myself.

I like Corsair and this forum is full of great people, but Samsung should be held accountable.

I agree that Samsung should be hauled over the coals, but that's not going to happen. The press are hammering them, end users are hammering them - but, in the end, they produce so many products under their own banner and for others who rebrand them and they are so big (and I mean BIG!!!) that they couldn't care less what anyone says to them or about them; they will, in the end, do as they please.

I can understand your anxiety with regards to performance - you can recover some of it by utilising Perfect Disk 10 (and yes it is ok to use it occasionally); it won't give you a 100% refresh but it will help restore a percentage of performance.

You can help stop the rot by disabling the usual services that write often to the SSD and move your paging file and scratch (temp) files off onto a HDD. Look out for a tweaks post coming soon that will guide you through all the things that can help preserve performance and the life of your SSD.

As for Samsung, they do make great products and they do a tremendous amount of R&D and they can be quite innovative little buggers, but they suck big-time at customer service. Should rename them to SHAMSUNG lol

• 3 weeks later...
Off-topic I know, but an interesting comment on the Tom's Hardware September SSD round-up article.

"Today, key vendors are assidious about providing firmware updates every few weeks".

Says it all really.......

jimwillsher

I don't know that statement has any relevance here.

You don't know if it has any relevance? That was *PRECISELY* the point I was trying to make with this entire thread!

Corsair tells us nothing, let alone releases anything. Numerous other Indilinx based manufacturers are not only keeping their communities informed, but releasing updated firmware on a consistent and regular basis.

Hell, their primary competitor (I can't type it out here, Corsair humorously blocks it when posting) even went out of their way to create a tool that would allow the TRIM functionality of their drive to work regardless of if the OS supported it or not. It might not have been as elegant of a solution as native OS support, but *THAT* is caring for your customers!!! Not only have they released improved firmware, but they've released tools to allow you to do what your OS might not ever be capable of!

As for the P series drives, they are Samsung based and most of us here know that we likely can't expect any updates to come out for those. So all of you P series owners, please stop hijacking this thread!

Hardwickj I understand your frustration - but Corsair can't tell you something they don't know. Obviously Corsair have been communicating with Indilinx about a firmware update, but until Indilinx come back with something worth mentioning then it would be pointless to speculate on a date.

As for the other m/f's who have provide tools or firmware updates - they haven't been without consequence. Many people who used these tools have had their SSDs turned into bricks - they're not fully tested and at best your could call the Alpha Beta's, something which shouldn't really be released as even first release Beta's until more testing has been done under more stringent test conditions.

I know of two m/f's who released so-called finished firmware updates only to have them recalled because they were not ready and not fully functional. Everyone wants the latest and greatest - but in some instances (and this is one) the latest is not always the greatest. Best to wait until nigh on all the bugs are ironed out and all the new features are properly tested before implementing an update.

As for the P series owners, they have their own gripes to bear with Samsung and I fully appreciate their frustration and anger.

Coming from a mining village there is a saying around here that goes - "If the pit is working leave it be" .... in other words if it works for you then why change it? Good to know you're drives are doing what you want them to :-)

I agree with you Davyc, because my X128 is running as it should.

But as a Windows7 user it would be nice to have a firmware with trim support enabled.

I now that Indilinx is the one I have to talk to, but I am enduser and my counterpart is Corsair. I decided to buy a Corsair SSD because I only made good experiences talking about my memory and my psu from Corsair and the support of both.

We all know that we have to trim or wipe our ssd from time to time, but until today there

is no "wiper tool" from Corsair. I have to go to a competitor to download this little tool.

The X-series FAQ from Bluebeard says it will be available shortly in the ssd download section but until today there is nothing.

We all know there is a new firmware from Indilinx and it would be nice to get a time frame from Corsair to know when it will be released or if Corsair decided not to release it

because of bugs that where found.

I'm pretty sure that Corsair are in communication with Indilinx and Samsung ..... but, there's the dreaded "but", the timeline is in the hands of those outside of the Corsair framework. We can speculate and assume many things, but one thing is for sure there is no way that Corsair will slip behind other SSD companies.

As I previously mentioned, some of the tools and firmware (beta, term used lightly) they have released has caused numerous problems for people; I think and believe that Corsair are treading the safe route to ensure minimal disruption and problems to their customers.

I'm happy to wait for the firmware, my X-64 is blazing along and doing everything I want; anything over the top of that (i.e. Trim or Wiper) is a bonus, not (at this time) a necessity :-)

Archived