Corsair Community

Does 3 TR3X3G1600C8D G work with one 9.24 cas module?

Corsair_D

I am building a new system and first i got some TW3X2G1600C9D G modules and I thought it was not enough so I found someone selling a trichannel kit (the TR3X3G1600C8D G ones)so I bought them and now I want to know if this trichannel works with one TW3X2G1600C9D G module in dual channel (the only difference is the CAS which is 8.24 for the trichannel kit and 9.24 for the dual channel one).My mobo is Crosshair III Formula.

P.S:Apparently none of these modules seem to be on the compatibility list of the Crosshair III Formula.So do they work properly or not?

Thank you!

They don't test them like that, nor is it recommended. If you try it, you'll probably have to lower the speed a notch or 2 and loosen the timings. Keep in mind there's a good chance they could be using different ICs as well.

There is no such thing as Dual / Triple Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual or triple channel.

Also note that memory bought from another end user does not have a warranty.

TW3X2G1600C9D is on the compatibility list for your motherboard. The 3 stick kit isn't because your motherboard is a dual channel motherboard.

I do have warranty for the trichannel kit.And yes I see that the 2GB kit is compatible,my mistake.I was thinking about some changes in bios regarding the timings but my primary concern is that if it is compatible if I put only the 3GB kit and eventually buy another module that is the same,because I don`t see it on the Crosshair 3 list.

Thank you!

It's not listed because it's meant for a triple channel system, not a dual channel system. 2 sticks out of the 3 will probably work just fine on the motherboard, but it's always recommended to buy all of your memory in one kit at the same time. You may want to return that memory to the store and just pick up an 8 GB kit since it sounds like that's what you want.

Archived