Corsair Community

Need Help With My System

moonece

Hello all,

I've been having major problems with my relatively new build from 1 month after the build occurred. I built my computer from scratch with parts from a well reputed online provider. This is only my second build, so I could have made some mistakes, however my general computer knowledge is quite high. I determined compatibility among different hardware components and upon starting the build had high hopes for my new system. Please see below for my system components.

This system worked like a dream for the first month. Out of the blue, pun intended, I started getting BSOD's. A few random ones at first and then more and more often. They never occurred at predictable times such as when a certain program was opened or when the computer was Started or Shutdown. I downloaded WinDbg and taught myself to find the cause of each BSOD. All of the analyzing pointed at Memory Corruption as the probable cause. I tried uninstalling programs prone to errors, I chose a restore point, I even reformatted the hard-drive and reinstalled Windows to no avail. I then ran Memtest on each individual stick and to my surprise came up with errors on all 4 sticks of RAM! I immediately contacted Corsair to RMA my RAM and they were a big help. Within 2 weeks I had received my new RAM and thought everything would be fine.

When I tried to install the RAM, however, my computer would not start. I narrowed it down to one bad stick and RMA'd it to Corsair along with it's partner. After receiving my new RAM yet again and installing it all my computer ran perfectly. I thought my problem was finally solved and set to work installing all the new programs I would need.

One month later the computer started to BSOD again. This was two weeks ago. The BSOD's have slowly started building up again and now occur randomly at least once every hour. I have not run Memtest yet but I am sure the RAM is bad again. I'm sure everyone here can understand the frustration I've been experiencing with these problems. My brand new system is unusable due to the instability issues I've been experiencing. I feel like something must be going wrong with my system and causing the RAM to consistently go bad. I cannot imagine that Corsair RAM would fail on me multiple times within one month of the computer running. I am not overclocking my system at all. The RAM is running at 1066 MHz as advertised and I have my voltage set to 2.1 V as instructed.

If anyone knows anything about computer hardware I would be in debt to you if you could help me explain these issues. Some hardware component seems to be frying my RAM over and over again and I can't figure out what the problem could be. Thank you for reading!

TLDR: My RAM has gone bad multiple times. Each time within one month of install. Need suggestions on my system. Could some other hardware component in my computer be causing my RAM to experience errors? Please help!

Thanks for the reply, Wired.

What can I do if I don't have a second system that supports DDR2 RAM? Is my only option to take it to a reputable repair shop and have them check for me? After spending $65 to have the last shop tell me that my RAM was bad...after I told them I needed to know the cause of the RAM errors...I'm not too keen on bringing it in to be looked at again. Thanks again for the reply.

I have not yet, but I fear that the memory is bad nonetheless. Please understand this is my second time experiencing the same symptoms. I will attempt to test my computer using Memtest again tonight. I will post my results as soon as I can. Even if the results come back with errors, which I strongly suspect will occur, I still need to know what other hardware components could be frying the RAM.

I'll post results tonight. Thank you for your help.

Alright RAM GUY,

I tested all four sticks of RAM and only 2 ended up giving me errors using Memtest x 86+ v2.11. One of these ended up giving me over 1 million errors (all tests combined, errors were found for every test) whilst the other gave one error during test 7. The other 2 sticks passed the tests flawlessly.

My main issue is the number of times I've had to RMA my RAM to Corsair. This will be the third RMA attempt for this type of RAM and the second that must be RMA'd after functioning perfectly for up to a month. To me this indicates something else in my system is frying the RAM. Other than the motherboard and the PSU are there any other components in my computer system that could cause the RAM to fry? Is there any compatibility issue I've missed that would cause this continuous issue as well?

Any advice on a direction to take would be very much appreciated. I honestly am not sure what to do first. In addition to RMAing the 2 bad RAM sticks. Should I: replace my motherboard?; replace my PSU?; do nothing and hope the next sticks of RAM solve my problem? In the five months since I built this system I have only had about 2 months of inconsistent use out of it. I need to have it up and running for the coming school year. Thanks again for any help you can provide.

Seeing as how I received much less assistance on these forums than I had hoped I took matters into my own hands. I feel as though the only components that could damage my RAM are the Motherboard and PSU. I went to Microcenter and purchased both today. I opted for an Asus board and an ******** PSU as I've had great experiences with both in the past. I will be RMA'ing the faulty RAM to Corsair as soon as I can and hope to have a working system built within the next few days. I will post back if things do not turn out as good as I had hoped. If anyone reading this has an idea of another computer hardware component that could cause RAM to fail please post here to let me know. I will monitor this thread daily to see if anyone has posted anything.

Archived