Corsair Community

Adding new memory to my system causing crashing

gothlips

Hello, first off my apologies if this has been talked about already, I did a brief search and didn't see anything directly related so here I am.

I decided to upgrade to 64 bit and increase the memory in my system. I was running XP Pro 32bit with TWIN2X2048-6400 (CORSAIR XMS2 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit).

I installed my 64bit windows and the new memory I purchased: TWIN2X4096-6400C5 (CORSAIR 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit).

I assumed they would be compatible as they both have the same speed, latency and timing.

So my system starts freezing, BSOD's, the full nightmare. I ran a mem test, found no problems. Because I'm from the Nintendo generation I tried blowing on the slots where I put in the new memory.

I then tried to run on ONLY my old memory, system was stable. I tried running on ONLY the new memory, system was stable.

Then I noticed the voltage difference on the memory. So I tried OCing the memory voltage to 1.91V, system didn't even boot up. It went to the windows loading screen, then to black, and just never came on. There are other voltage options to choose from however I haven't attempted them.

My question is, is this a normal response for combining these sticks of memory? Do you think continuing with trying to OCing the voltage could work? Recommendations?

Thanks so much for the help! :)

Hi gothlips,

I'm having same problem on my PC with 4Gb kit together with 2Gb kit (TWIN2X4096-6400C5 with TWIN2X2048-6400). At the beginning I thought was the different timing (5-5-5-18 and 5-5-5-12) or voltage or O.S (tested on win xp 32 and 64 bit) but nothing. I also tried several configuration on BIOS (put 5-5-5-18 for both or reduce/increase at steps ram voltage from 1.8v to 2.1v) but no result. Under stress (HD video or gaming) windows shows always some freeze.

Both kit works fine separately but when combined no way :( so single module has no problem. ...really dont know.

Sorry if I'm using your post but hope someone from RAM guys here could help us.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived