Corsair Community

Low Voltage on 12v+ rail on both my TX550 and TX750

stevieu

Hey there!

Well, I bit the bullet last week and decided it was time to upgrade my hardware.

I inititially decided I'd go for a graphics card alone (an NVidia GTX 260). Along with this, I bought a Corsair TX550. I hooked it all up to my old rig (an Abit IG-81, P4, 1gb DDR, 2x250gb HDDs) and it did not work. Well, everything booted, but I got no signal to the monitor, despite all relevant connections being made and fiddling around with BIOS settings.

I decided I'd buy a complete new system, as it was overdue and opted for a TX750 (due to great reviews) to power my i7 920, GTX260, Asus P6T SE, 6gb DDR3 setup...

Again, all is fine until I install the GTX260, which again, sends no signal to the monitor (regardless of which PCIe slot it is in).

If I plug in my old GeForce 6200 TurboCache card all boots ok, albeit I seem to be getting low voltage on thr 12v+ rail. It seems to fluctuate between 11.20 - 11.35v on the TX 550 and even worse, 10.24 - 11.80v with the TX 750 (this is at idle). All other rails seem ok.

These readouts are with both SpeedFan and the system BIOS. Surely they can't both be wrong?

I was about to RMA my graphics card, but it also seems these voltages are also way under what they should be, so now I'm not sure what to do, or what to try.

Any ideas? :)

SpeedFan reading with TX 750 installed:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevieu83/psutx750.png

SpeedFan reading with TX550 installed:

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/stevieu83/psutx550.png

(at idle, with no overclocking)

Do you have a friend that will let you put the gpu in his/ her computer to see if it works in there system???

Unfortunately not. (not unless they choose to upgrade their old beast!)

Is there anything else that could be causing such a voltage drop? Bad motherboard?

I have no other ideas, really. All I can say is that everything boots up and runs fine with the OLD GeForce card installed, alas, with those bad voltage readings. So either the GPU is ok and just not working with these setups, or I have a mixture of problems. Argh!

I have had people have problems with the 260 but it is usually a seating problem in t the pci slot, or that the two 6-pin PCI-e pins are not seated all the way...

It makes it hard to norrow down whats wrong when you dont have friends with up to date rigs to try stuff in...

I have never really had any problems with any corsair product I have purchased besides my own user error... But anything could be possible... I cant believe two PSU's i a row would be bad... Not that i dont trust the bios or speedfan, but i use a fluke meter to test PSU, and some special plugs...

Worst case is take the card to a local comp store or comp repair shop and ask them to hook it up to see if it works, take the PSU with you they may test that too, Alot of places aroud where I live will do this for free...

Just another thought, like I said it is hard to tell when you dont have the spare parts or spare machine to test them with...

barnhartmd0519;416739]I have had people have problems with the 260 but it is usually a seating problem in t the pci slot, or that the two 6-pin PCI-e pins are not seated all the way...

Yes, I've read quite a few queries regarding people forgetting to plug the extra cables in, but I have definitely done so.

It makes it hard to norrow down whats wrong when you dont have friends with up to date rigs to try stuff in...

I have never really had any problems with any corsair product I have purchased besides my own user error... But anything could be possible... I cant believe two PSU's i a row would be bad... Not that i dont trust the bios or speedfan, but i use a fluke meter to test PSU, and some special plugs...

Yes, I agree. I've tried it in two rigs, without any other devices attached and I get the same thing. Nada. It would point more towards a faulty card than two bad PSUs I would have thought. The low voltages reported have not seemed to have had any affect on my system's uptime or performance so far, regardless of what I've been doing, so maybe the readings are just off. I don't know... I would need a multimeter to be sure, like you said.

Worst case is take the card to a local comp store or comp repair shop and ask them to hook it up to see if it works, take the PSU with you they may test that too, Alot of places aroud where I live will do this for free...

Just another thought, like I said it is hard to tell when you dont have the spare parts or spare machine to test them with...

My RMA request for the card has been accepted by the supplier now, so I will see if they find a fault and send a replacement. If they don't, I guess I will try the above and TRY to find what other options I have.

Ah, the joys of computer building! :)

@barnhartmd0519

I would do it full-time, but I swear too much ;)

Cheers... I shall see what the outcome is from the GPU... if they say it's not faulty, I guess I shall have to push this PSU issue further. I don't really trust software readings, although the BIOS reading does get me a tad nervous.

Have fun with those builds :)

Archived