Corsair Community

High temperature problems with Corsair H50?

bigboss65

Hi, I recently bought a Corsair H50 on the strength of the review in CustomPC and Bit-tech. I couldn't wait to get it and install it in my PC, this is when the problems started.

I cleaned my PC out ready to install it, making sure to remove all traces off of thermal paste from my processor heat spreader. I then installed the H50 according to the manual provided using the LGA775 bracket. Everything seemed to be okay, I booted up and removed all fan speed controls in BIOS to make sure the unit got a continuous 12V supply. The only thing I did that differs from the manual is I used a different radiator fan (120mm Scythe Gentle Typhoon 1450rpm), also recommended by CustomPC for being a very efficient and quiet fan.

I then installed a new OS and started to overclock my system again. I have previously had a Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro installed and was running at 4.2GHz. At this clock speed with a VCore of around 1.3v my temperatures were around 34oc idle and 50oc load. No problem I thought, the Corsair should be able to top this!

I fired up Prime95, CoreTemp and HWMonitor to stress and check temperatures during the burn in. Before I started the burn in I took a base line temperature of 34oc and after 9 hours stressing my processor I had a highest temperature of 57oc.

I thought I had installed the unit incorrectly, so I turned the fan attached to the radiator from an intake to an exhaust hoping it might induce a better airflow inside my case, sadly nothing. I then removed the unit removing the pre-installed thermal paste and cleaned the heat plate and CPU heat spreader with acetone and water to remove any residue and installed MX2 compound to the unit hoping this would have some effect, still nothing. When I removed the heat plate both times the thermal paste had spread evenly over the CPU heat spreader in a thin layer.

I then decided to underclocked and undervolted my processor, I reduced my E8400 to a clock speed of 2.2GHz at a VCore of 1.1v, still the temperatures were 34oc idle. This is when I questioned that the unit may have been faulty. I checked airflow in my case, but there were no cables or any obstructions.

I have 5 fans installed in my "Antéc 900", two 120mm intakes, a 200mm roof exhaust and 120mm side and back exhausts, so there should be no stagnant airflow around the CPU block or radiator. At idle I have a ambient case temperature of 30oc and around 45oc under load when playing GTA4 with my Freezer 7 installed (these temperatures were the same with my H50 installed), I can't give figures for when the H50 was installed as I returned it to the supplier, which I'm having trouble convincing may be faulty.

The supplier tested the unit on a QX9775 and received max load temperatures of 48oc in Prime95, however they did not install the unit inside a case, or have a modern GPU affecting ambient temperature of the surrounding area.

I was just hoping that someone on here might be able to give their view on things. Could the unit be broken, do you think I installed it correctly, and would testing the unit outside of a case have an effect on the temperatures recorded?

I can supply any extra information about my PC that could help in this matter in a short period of time. But I cannot supply information based on the my H50 as the supplier currently still has it.

- Thanks Simon

i hear what ur saying, but in the interests of troubleshooting maybe give the corsair fan a go and see how the temps react?

I did mention in my earlier posts that I can't test the H50 yet as the supplier still has it. I can give you the suppliers results when they used the stock fan for a test. They installed the fan and radiator outside of a case and recieved a maximum temperature of 48oc.

• Corsair Employees

If you believe your CPU temperatures to be too high then there are a few things you should make sure of.

1. If you have used thermal paste make sure it has been spread evenly and try remounting the H50 to be certain that the H50 is mounted properly and is making good contact

2. Also be sure that the power header you are using to plug the pump into is not throttling the power going to the pump, you should be able to disable any such features in the BIOS, but it may be a good idea to test a different power header on the board to be sure.

3. If you are using a 3rd party fan, try using the supplied Corsair fan to see if the results are any different, and make sure the fan is blowing cool air from outside the case into the radiator, and into the case. You can find an arrow on the fan which will point in the direction of the airflow.

Thanks for the reply, I have tried all of the thigs you have suggested, apart from installing the stock Corsair fan and the supplier still has my unit from a RMA, as I have mentioned in two posts above.

I have checked to see if the unit was getting enough power, I disabled any speed controls for fans headers in BIOS so the unit and fan would get a 12V supply, as I stated in a post above.

I also said that the two times I had removed the H50 to check I had installed it correctly, the thermale patse, both stock and MX2 had spread in a thin even layer on the heat plate and the CPU head spreader.

I have also tried the third party fan as an intake and an exhaust, this did not seem to have an effect on the temperatures at all. I first installed the fan as an intake and then later changed to an exhaust.

I hope this helps,

- Thanks Simon.

the thing i dont understand about this is you have a 65W cpu and the supplier has a 150W cpu, yet the supplier is getting lower temps than you (since they get max temp of 48 = nothing wrong with the unit itself).

forget about their test being out of a case and without a high performance gfx card, there is no way that would overcome an 85W increase.

i haven't seen you report any rpms (you said you disabled the mbs fan control), but did you check the reported rpms?

if they are not high enough then get a fan controller or adapter like this: http://www.mcmelectronics.com/content/productimages/s4/4126624.jpg a 3pin and a pwm one to plug directly into the psu.

failing that, the only remaining option would be that you're doing something wrong during installation, maybe with the paste, maybe with how you mate the surfaces, maybe something else.

Thanks for your repsonce, the fan I was using to cool the radiator is spinning at 1365rpm, its rated to spin at 1450rpm. The stock Corsair fan provided spins at 1400rpm I can't see that 35rpm is the difference between 57oc and 48oc, considering Scythe can move 61cfm normally and 30cfm through a radiator.

I'd still say that 48oc was a little hot for this unit, Bit-tech tested the unit with a overclocked and overvolted Xeon X3210 and the only reached a maximum temperature of 37oc. The link can be found here I don't think I made a mistake fitting the cooler, I tightened the screws in the way the maunal indicated as to give good surface contact with no movement and as I said before the thermale paste was spread evenly and in a thin layer. The paste I applied (MX2) is considered the best in the market and there was no residue of any paste left on either the CPU headspreader of the heat plate.

I am also using the same technique I used to apply the paste and the same make of paste on my air cooler now and have an idle temperature of 36oc at the same clock speed.

I hope this helps.

- Thanks Simon

Thanks for your repsonce, the fan I was using to cool the radiator is spinning at 1365rpm, its rated to spin at 1450rpm. The stock Corsair fan provided spins at 1400rpm I can't see that 35rpm is the difference between 57oc and 48oc, considering Scythe can move 61cfm normally and 30cfm through a radiator.

the corsair fan is rated to spin at 1700 rpm, according to the specs on the corsair website and this post: http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showpost.php?p=412476&postcount=2 (this post gives other specs such as static pressure)

the pump rpm is supposed to be 1450, do u know what speed yours is spinning at?

originally i had my fan AND pump plugged into the mb, when i booted the first time i checked the bios and my phenom shot up to 60 within 30 seconds. plugged the pump into a fan controller (fan was still connected to the mb), turned it all the way up and im getting much better temps now.

I'd still say that 48oc was a little hot for this unit, Bit-tech tested the unit with a overclocked and overvolted Xeon X3210 and the only reached a maximum temperature of 37oc.

not too sure about that, ur reseller used a 165W cpu, that website used a 105W cpu. (i know it was OC'd but i still think it would have been cooler)

Thanks for the reply, I know this sounds stupid but don't believe everything you read on a manufactures website. The fan I have installed is meant to spin at 1450rpm but as mentioned before it only spins at 1365rpm and its sound pressure and cfm are way off the one the manufacture claimed it can achieve So the stock fan under real world testing may only spin at 1400rmp (CustomPC).

Bit-tech also tested the H50 with an overclocked Core i7-965 Extreme Edition, these use more power than my E8400 and the QX9775. They only received a max temperature of 38oc under load, a link to this can be found here.

Sorry I don't know what rpm the pump was at, but I do remember HWMonitor showing all the fans in my system spinning at 100%, apart from my graphics. I have also spoken to the tester from Bit-tech and according to him my setup is perfect for the H50.

Thanks for your continued responses, I really appreciate it.

- Simon.

• Corsair Employees

If temperatures still seem high and you think that there is a good chance that the unit may be defective then we can replace it for you. You can use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace it. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

There are a lot of different factors that will determine your CPU temperature so its difficult to be able to guarantee a certain temperature under a particular configuration. Two identical CPUs may generate different amounts of heat due to differences in the manufacturing process, for example. If testing the unit in a different system yields much better results then I would suspect that the problem lies somewhere other than the H50, but if all else fails we can certainly try replacing the unit.

Thanks for the reply, I know this sounds stupid but don't believe everything you read on a manufactures website. The fan I have installed is meant to spin at 1450rpm but as mentioned before it only spins at 1365rpm and its sound pressure and cfm are way off the one the manufacture claimed it can achieve So the stock fan under real world testing may only spin at 1400rmp (CustomPC).

all the more reason to use the corsair supplied fan when u get it back?

having speed read that review it seems they did use the corsair fan also.

i reckon when u get it back, use the corsair supplied fan and plug it and the pump directly into the 12v psu, not mb = u will see good temps (hopefully good enough for ur expectations).

anyway (slightly of topic now sorry) i tested the pump and fan outside of the case using a fan controller to make sure they span at the correct rpm and test for any other defects before i put it in. i get a rpm readout on a lcd screen, and, while they were not exactly 1700 or 1500, they were both within 50 of target rpm.

Just to note that the Bit-Tech temperature of 38ºC measured on the Core i7-965 was not the maximum temperature under load it was the DeltaT i.e. the temperature differential between ambient and load. So if the ambient temperature was 20ºC then the load temps would have been 58ºC.

I am also having temperature issues with this unit. I have tried to reapply new Arctic Silver thermal paste, tried reversing the airflow, tried adding a second fan still getting temps maxing about 89 degrees C on an i7 860 overclocked to 4ghz. I am reading other people getting a max temp in prime95 around the 60 range. I am returning the unit to Amazon, and I might try one more unit.

60c would make me cringe,I would not be happy one bit. I can Prime95 for hours on end at 3.8 on my 955BE never moves over 43c but then I have a real water cooled CPU system (no dig intended).This is when its 80F inside the house.

My house refridgerated AC comes out the floor and I moved my rig that is modified for bottom air intake over the vent and the temps are crazy low,just like in a AC cooled server room.

What temps do I believe? Asus PC Probe says 42c idel/59c load after 10 hours/

Core temp and real temp say 36/33/36/31c idle and 55/55/55/51c load after 10 hours.

I'm using the stock thermal pad with a push/pull config on the radiator going from inside to the outside. The inside fan is the stock H50 fan and the outside fan is the stock 140mm case fan. I have a HAF 932 case. Ambient temps are 25c.

Summary:

i7 920 stock

Ambient 25c

idle PC probe - 42c

load PC probe 59c after 10 hours of prime95 and Orthos

idle core temp/real temp 36/33/36/31c

load core temp/rela temp 55/55/55/51

• 2 months later...

Sorry but thought I'd bring this old topic up as I'm too having heat issues with the H50 and need some advice to fix.

I'm currently getting idle temps at around 38/32/36/33 on my i7 920 (stock settings). Its an OEM supplied d0 based CPU.

Under Prime95 under load for 20 minutes this is going to around 63/58/61/60. Again this is stock. Seems a bit high to me.

If I up to BLK to around 180 (without increasing the current) I'm getting well into the 70's and indeed I'm positive if left this would be into the 80's after only around 5 minutes.

I've setup as set out in the instructions with the fan blowing air into the case using the Corsair supplied fan. The heatsink is screwed in pretty tight (without being tightened too far imo).

Going by posts elsewhere the kind of results I'm seeing are high and it looks like the current heat dissipation wont even allow for a moderate overclock.

I am hearing the pump working (its attached to the power fan header) and power saving stuff is switched off on the bios. I also used the thermal compound already supplied.

Suggestions?

Im running a H50 on a 550 BE which is Oced to 3.8 and my idle temps are 29c and around 34c under load so if I was the original poster id take the CPU out also & do a razer blade test to be certain the CPU is flat. If its lumpy might need a lapping for good cooling contact. Long as the H50 is out of the way might as well take a peek.

Im running a H50 on a 550 BE which is Oced to 3.8 and my idle temps are 29c and around 34c under load so if I was the original poster id take the CPU out also & do a razer blade test to be certain the CPU is flat. If its lumpy might need a lapping for good cooling contact. Long as the H50 is out of the way might as well take a peek.

what load? there is NO way ur seeing a temp increase of 5C using prime95 or whatever.

Sorry but thought I'd bring this old topic up as I'm too having heat issues with the H50 and need some advice to fix.

I'm currently getting idle temps at around 38/32/36/33 on my i7 920 (stock settings). Its an OEM supplied d0 based CPU.

Under Prime95 under load for 20 minutes this is going to around 63/58/61/60. Again this is stock. Seems a bit high to me.

If I up to BLK to around 180 (without increasing the current) I'm getting well into the 70's and indeed I'm positive if left this would be into the 80's after only around 5 minutes.

I've setup as set out in the instructions with the fan blowing air into the case using the Corsair supplied fan. The heatsink is screwed in pretty tight (without being tightened too far imo).

Going by posts elsewhere the kind of results I'm seeing are high and it looks like the current heat dissipation wont even allow for a moderate overclock.

I am hearing the pump working (its attached to the power fan header) and power saving stuff is switched off on the bios. I also used the thermal compound already supplied.

Suggestions?

have u disabled any fan control on the mb?

what load? there is NO way ur seeing a temp increase of 5C using prime95 or whatever.

The load is games, after I exit a game I immediatly look at my CPU temps, actually to be honest, my CPU isnt the item that gets hot its the 260 GPU that gets hot. I see no point in running benchmarks that I do not use realtime. The hardest loads my sys ever sees is during a 3D game. Thats also the best test for stability, if it dosent get hot, BSOD, freeze up, or act up in any way then its a good rig. Running benchmarks for hrs. & days is silly IMHO unless your tweaking every single parameter of the entire bios to outdo Joe blows benchmarks.

Games do not need hot running quads yet, a cool 65W dual core is all thats needed. Its easy to cool such a low wattage CPU.

I knew this when I purchased this CPU, I have no intention to buy a 965 quad etc....at 140W then expect it to run so cool not happening on a H50 unless its sitting over a A/C vent like the fella stated above.

I use my PC realtime I didnt build it for running benchmarks .................

If you want to strain a PC run a hi end 3D game, if it can handle that it can handle anything else.

One cannot expect a hi wattage quad to run as cool as a dual core of lower wattage, 4 cores sucking juice make a LOT of heat. The 550 BE is one of the coolest running CPUs on the market so long as you dont attempt to unlock the disabled cores.

The H50 cools only as well as the ambient temps its subjected to so all the hi end quad users need a cool room temp one way or another with this cooler setup. Simple logic no mystery or complicated science here.

I see the newest 965s are coming out in 125w verses the original 140w so the best setup is the lowest wattage CPU one can get his hands on, another reason im waiting for cooler running quads and will stick with my chilly dual till then. Im hoping to see a 90w version of the higher end quads.............Time will tell.

The load is games, after I exit a game I immediatly look at my CPU temps

you wana be making that clear when ur telling people about ur load temps.

100% is the universal benchmark for load temps, ur game will not be loading the cpu this high.

Peoples temps are being measured at the time, not after. whether ur checking the temps "immediately" or not, you still take a few seconds going through the menu to exit and thats not a lot of stress on the cpu, giving the cpu a chance to cool down anyway.

i understand your reasons for not using prime95 or occt, but bear this in mind when people are posting their 100% load temps.

have u disabled any fan control on the mb?

No its still on as I'm using the headers on the Asus p6t. I've monitored the rate ofthe fans and whilst they do vary they are pretty much going flat out all the time (1300-1500rpm for the pump, 1400-1700 for the radiator fan).

Incidentally I've tried oc'ing again and managed to get around 3.8Ghz at high 70's without increasing voltages. I'm happy with this but then the side of the case if off just now! :D:

I'm thinking I shouldnt be looking to reaching or going over 80C for the i7 920?

Archived