Corsair Community

HX1000W help

barnhartmd0519

I have the classified Mobo. As we all know that there are x2 8 pin right? The PSU has x4 blue connections that are for the pci-e. One of them are also blue but have a 8 pin. So that makes 5 blue connectors?

I have x3 285's. ALL 4 blue's are occupied on the PSU. so where does the 8 pin BLUE connector go?

I have all the blue connectors filled with the GPU's where does the esp cable for cpu go when u r out of blue slots????

No they r not hard wired, read the post carefully... EVGA has so much better service...

OK last time X58 SLI CLassyified requires TWO 8 pin ESP connectors If you own the HX 1000 as I do You would know that it only has ONE 8-pin ESP hard wired, and Two 8-pin PCI-e hard wired...

So with the paragraph above I have half of my motherboard powered with ONE 8-pin ESP HardWired, and ONE GPU powered by TWO 6 or 8-pin PCI-e HardWired cables...

Do we have it so far are we all on the same page???

Ok then I have TWO more GPU's to Power, SO that covers the FOUR blue 8-pin Slots on the PSU, OK SO NOW WE ARE OUT OF BLUE SLOTS...

I still have to Power My other 8-pin ESP connector to my MotherBoard... So asy the instructions say use blue slot 12v1 thats great I would love two but it is full...

So where does it go????

Sorry if i sound upset, but with EVGA or COOLER MASTER I call or E-MAIL and the problems are resolved, Here with CORSAIR a company I love that has great products, But has the worst customer support... Where is the phone number to contact Customer Service, E-mail, Live Chat, Something instead i am forced into a support forum...

Then I get an answer from someone who didnt read the whole post... WTF

Someone just please answer the question???

PS thanks for removing the double post and not being able to answer the question, try answering the question correctly and then removing the double post after one of them are resolved...

Where is the phone number to contact Customer Service, E-mail, Live Chat, Something instead i am forced into a support forum...

http://www.corsair.com/contact/default.aspx

You can fill out one of the forms to contact them, or you can call them at the number listed on that link near the bottom. You are not forced to use the forum. It is largely here for troubleshooting purposes and convenience, as some people prefer forums over email support.

The Corsair Forum has suprised me. I have come to learn that people make heavy use of it for support and not very much use of it for idea exchange or relating experiences performing certain work on your machine. The Forum is much more a place for people to post about products that don't work like they think they should and not an experience exchange. Not all Forums are the same,it is what it is.

I can see how "barn' posted and expected a qualified response first and formost and didn't get it.

@ Wired

I have filled out that form... I have filled it out once a week for the past three weeks, and no responce... Dont get me wrong I am not mad at anybody here, and I should not have vented the way I did... I came here cause I could not get results by the contact corsair page...

Figured this would be the same as EVGA and Cooler Master forums, where There employees watch the forums... But like PCCstudent said not all forums are the same... My bad, The other manufactures I contact while doing builds have live chat so u dont have to wait days or weeks or in my case here almost a month now, some of them also have chat rooms for people to get in and talk to their webmaster or tech support or just chat with other people... By the way my client loves the fact that I put what I say is the best of ram and PSU on the market in his build and I cant even get an answer on How to wire it correctly do to the fact the were not ready for EVGA to release a dual 8-pin mobo and have the person who can afford the mobo not Tri SLI cause of a lack of slots on there PSU...

Anyway I aam sorry for venting on you guys like that, but I have never had this problem with a company before... The Sad part is I have built alot of computers, I only use EVGA, CORSAIR, INTEL, and COOLER MASTER... So its hard when word of mouth gets u more builds or clients and now i have one client that is waiting on Corsair to respond for me to finish his build... If you guys want I can photobucket some pics of my last one, just and average client no sleeveing no nothing really just put it together set it up and Oc it to 3.36ghz...

Anyway thanks guys...

I'm wondering if their responses are in your spam folder?

Yeah, I've suggested a live chat before, no go.

Either way, depending on which cables came with your PSU (my HX1000W is from a year ago so I got some 6+2 pin PCI-E cables, some 6 pin PCI-E cables), but I believe you can hook up just the 6 pin part of the 6+2 pin cable to a 6 pin connection. Not 100% sure on that, but electrically I can't see why not.

I have also been told that just using the 6-pin cable on a 6+2 will work. I spoke with Performance PC's about just what the other connector on the 6-pin PCIe HX 1000 is for (I have one also). Strange a retailer is answering questions about your product that I could not get a answer for here. They call the connector a PCI express 2.0. They are very helpful answering questions about Corsair products,I guess they want you to buy your Corsair products (at least P/S) from them.

I recieved 4 6+2 pin PCI-e connectors with blue ends, and one 8-pin ESP connector for the MOBO with blue end... I thought about useing the 6-pin black side with molex to 6+2 pin PCI-e adapter, but after reading the manual more than once it says ESP 8-pin goes in 12v1 blue slot for mobo... So that would now give me both of my mobo connections... It reccomend that all GPU or 6+2-pin PCI-e go in the blue slots ( I thought that was common sense as they are 8-pin and the black slots are 6-pin) which is great if you only us two gpu's cause 2 6+2-pin PCI-e connectors are hardwired like the one ESP 8-pin for the mobo is...So with the mobo hooked up know and two GPU's I have one blue slot left, So i read instrustions again and it states It reccomends only using the blue connectors for CPU and GPU usage only, not the 6-pin black slots... Thats where I ran into problems it RECCOMENDS, well usually that means there is a reason for only using those slots... The reason is unknown to me other forums say cleaner power comes from the blue slots, others say stable power comes from the blue slots, honestly IDK... I just wish someone at Corsair would let me know what to do in my case as I only have one card left to hook up, and really half hook up cause I have one 6+2 pin PCI-e going to it already which is the last of the blue slots.... Who know maybe they are building a bigger power supply as we speak... IDK

Yeah I checked MY junk mail box nothing, I just hope they went through, last year I ran into a question on one of there products I must have sent an e-mail every other day for a month i finally called them and their program did not like comcast or something like that and it was putting all my mails in their trash or junk mail or spam box so they never recieved one mail i wrote them, So i tried the form this time around I dont think it works any better...

As far as Live Chat, even if the did like EVGA and put a chat room in here so that one of there techs and one customer service person could monitor it it would be nice, Evga has the webmaster on theirs and he will usually when he is not up to his ears in his regular work, answer ur question or send u to one of the techs... EVGA charges alot for their products but the are the best, Corsair does the same and they have the best products, but the hard to nav web site and the lack of customer support is the only thing holding them back...

I think they should send their webmaster and support team over to EVGA's site and check it out they my learn something...

But You Know What I still think they make the BEST products...

Cpl Barnhart

USMC

barn, I am going to really read my manual and get on the same page as you. I don't ever plan on a mobo that needs 2 8-pin and 3xPCIe GPU's but it would be nice to know just where the limits of the HX1000 are and why it is so.

I will post back later today as today is server 2008 class (5hr class).

I checked the the blue ends of the 6+2 PCI-e cables and that end of the cable does not split... The only other option I have is to run a 6-pin to molex, another 6-pin to molex, and then use the adapter that evga sends 2 molex to a 6+2 PCI-e end... Just wanted tech support to send me an e-mail and conform that even though the instructions advice against using the black 6-pin plugs for CPU and GPU usage for some unknown reason, it it would be ok to hook it up that way... I filled out the form again today, so we will see what happens...

• Corsair Employee

Let's set some things straight, Our office hours are 8:30 AM to 5:30 PM Pacific Time Monday Through Friday excluding holidays and you can call and get a live person on the phone during these hours. You can get the number from our Contacts page on the main web page.

The forum is here to help users of our products and for sure if someone has a suggestion we will listen to it and use it if it makes sense.

barnhartmd0519

Please look under the resources Tab for the HX1000 PSU on our Products page of the web site. The scroll down a bit, it shows all of the connectors and how many are there and what they are for if you do not know.

There should be 2 8 X 4 Pin EPS/ATX 12V these are for your MB only and the MB will take either one 4 Pin and one 8 Pin unless ts a dual CPU then it may use two 4 Pin 12V or 2 8-Pin 12V connectors. One of which is modular

It has 6 6+2 Pin PCI-E connectors and 4 of which are modular.

This week has been a bit longer than normal for replies because we have an internal conference once a year and that is going on now. So some of Support Staff are involved in this event and there is some nasty cold going around so we have been a bit under staffed.

I checked the page u told me too in ur post and it still does not answer the question... You are correct the HX1000 does have 2 x EPS/ATX12V 8-4 pin, One is HardWired and is connected to the 1 ATX/12V 8-Pin on my EVGA X58 Classified, The other EPS/ATX12V 8 pin is a modular cable with a blue end that plugs into 12v1 on the PSU, which is plugged into the other EPS/ATX12V 8 pin on my EVGA x58 Classified... And once again you are correct the HX 1000 does have 6 x PCI-E 6+2 pin... Two(2) of them are HArdWired and are on my first GPU, 2 x PCI-E 6+2 pin are modular and plugged into GPU # 2, Now the quest I want answered is I have one blue slot left where I plugged 1 x PCI-E 6+2 pin and ran to GPU # 3, I am now OUT of blue slots on the PSU and I have 1 x PCI-E 6+2 pin left to pluge into the GPU # 3, But no place to plug it into the PSU cause as explained above there are no more blue slots left... So where do I plug it in at???

Which now Sir brings me to the part where you r wrong, my board is not a server board or a dual CPU board it is a gamers board and it requires 2 x EPS/ATX12V 8 pin connectors...

Which leads me to my next point I am not here to put down ur company in anyway as I have alot of builds under my belt, and all I have ever USED is Corsair RAM and PSU's, and I understand that u guys r busy, but I have a full time job and I have a part time job after my full time job, and then I run my business building computers for my clients... I dont have time to call all the time and when I do like right now the noise level is so high that I have earplugs in so it would not do me any good to waste my time and customer service reps time trying to yell over the noise and not being able to hear what i need to hear anyway... Again I understand u guys r busy...

That is one reason I suggested you guys incorparate a chat room not a live chat just a chat room like EVGA has there web master and techs are in there doing working hours and they do not always answer as they have work to do... But everytime I walk buy i type the guys name in and sooner or later he will answer I ask the question, I get an answer or he finds the answer or person who knows the answer... I am done... They also use it to have a Q&A about new in up coming products they will set a date and time for these sesions...

I will end with I think Corsair is the best in the business as far as RAM, CASES, and PSU I am a loyal costumer, every build I have done for a client has had Corsair RAM and PSU in, and the next client will have a Corsair case... I am also loyal to EVGA every build has EVGA GPU's and MOBO's, and some with there NIC cards... I dont know about cooler master anymore I think if i really enjoy the Corsair case I will drop cooler master from my builds...

Thank You

Cpl. Barnhart

USMC

Ps I still did not get an answer on how to hook up the last card...

Just checked out the EVGA Support Manual for EVGA X58 Classified:

PW12-1,PW12-2, the 8-pin ATX 12V power connection, are used to provide power to the CPU. Align the pins to the connector and press firmly until seated. You can plug in an extra one if your power supply comes with it. It is not necessary and the motherboard will function perfectly with just one connector in either socket.

I'd ask them to clarify why they have 2 8-pin connections when they say it's not needed. I'd be interested in their answer. Seems the answer to your issue would be to simply only use one 8 pin connection. That would free up a space on your PSU to connect the last cable to your third video card.

They have two for the people like my client that are going to use extreme cooling ie: Liquid Nitrogen Cooling... and other reasons two but that is one of them... also to provide 600watts of clean power to ur CPU...

I know what I am doing here guys and all I want is a simple answer... You can check my work all day long i do my research I have done 5 builds with this board where I did not need the second 8 pin... But this client wants to Liquid Nitrogen Cooling so I have to use both connectors...

Trust me I ahve already spoke with EVGA techs in there chat room and by PM's and e-mail regarding the issues, and once this thing leaves my shop all warrenty are void, the client already know that...

I just wanna get the answer so the client can play with his toy...

I know, ur just trying to help... its for extreme cooling and overclocking it uses the 2 8pin +12V connectors capable of delivering 600 watts of power, 10 phase Digital PWM with a switching frequency of up to 1333KHz, this in not really and everyday use kinda thing I would say, but the amount of money the guy has dropped into this thing so far he gets what he wants sorta

• Corsair Employee
For your setup, you would need to use a 4-pin molex to 8pin ATX12v adapter or a 4-pin molex to 6/8pin PCI-E adapter. There are only four blue connectors on this PSU, if they are all occupied by your video cards, then using a 4-pin molex to 8pin ATX12V adapter is the only way to connect the other ATX12V on the motherboard.

Thank You Sir...

I thank you very much for you time in answering my question... I would like to apoligize if I caused in trouble or stirred the pot any, but when your building a 5-10K systems you want a respectible answer from the source...

I did as u suggested and it works fine...

Thank You Very Muck...

Also I have another Question I will PM u..

Not to be rude but you should have known better if you have built so many high-profile systems.

You said yourself that you have done many builds with the classified requiring only one cpu plug, and this particular PSU. Common sense tells me that after building at the least 2 systems with this exact configuration that you would know the plug-side of this power supply pretty well.

What happened here is that your application is different, and you should have been aware of that. You chose the wrong PSU for this system. Here is an example of a PSU capable of powering this system.

If you are so experienced and know what you are doing so thoroughly, then surely you would have thought "Hey, this guy is expecting the system to be on a different level than all of the other classified builds that I have made...doesn't that mean that he is going to require different hardware?"

Surely.

I am glad that you finally managed to find a way to adapt your problem to fit the situation, but from my own experience the one single time that I ever used molex adapters to power anything, it resulted in the PSU sending fluctuating voltages down the 12v line. This left me with 2 dead video cards and a dead mobo.

Again, not to be rude, but after reading this thread...I must say that I am ashamed to call myself a modder/builder when someone of your 'experience' is posting with such ridiculous grammar, blaming corsair for your own mistake of thinking that the PSU would be able to meet such different needs.

Personally, my HX1000 has performed magnificently. But this application just simply requires something with more flexibility in the selection of connectors.

Archived