Corsair Community

Asus Rampage 2 Extreme

tony_1985

Hello,

I am currently building a new pc and have decided to use an Intel Core i7-950 CPU, with an Asus Rampage II Extreme Motherboard. My intention is to put 12GB of RAM in this rig. Asus lists as compatible only the xms3 range from corsair. However I would prefer to have a DHX model, but i dont know which ones are compatible.

For example is it possible to run 2 sets of the TR3X6G1866C9DF model @ 1866MHz? If not, which is the best choice for this combination, and at what speed?

Thanks!

Today, i went to the store where i buy my stuff from and they suggested i use two sets of the CMG6GX3M3A1866C7 (12GB total). They also told me that they have built a number of systems with i7 950 and rampage 2 extreme with this RAM and that it is stable at 1866MHz. Is this the case or do you think they are just saying that so that i buy the more expensive product?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

Corsair can only guarantee memory speed / timings as they were sold, e.g. as one pack. They can't guarantee that 2 packs that haven't been tested together will run at their rated speeds together (especially if you mix versions / ICs), especially since it's up to the limitations of the CPU's memory controller.

Having said that it's entirely possible. May want to see what their return policy is if it doesn't work though.

Corsair does sell 12 GB packs but no 12 GB DHX packs.

Archived