Corsair Community

X256 or P256?

brand80

Hey all,

I am new to these forums, I have purchased memory from corsair in the past though. I am actually posting as I am interested in purchasing one of their SSD hard drives for my dell m1330 laptop, however I am unsure of which one to pull the trigger on. I have narrowed my ssd pick down to either the X256 or the P256, both of which of course are from Corsair.

My dilemma is, I can't decide which one to go with, they are both real close in price and have similar speed specs from what I have read however, the big thing is that is seems there is an issue with alot of the X256 drives not working (disappearing) and having to be RMA'd. As far as the P256 goes, I would like to know that Samsung was going to release a Firmware updater for it before I bought it...lol Anyway, are there users out there that are on here that have the X256 that aren't having issues with it? I just don't want to have to go through the hassle of RMA'ing either, one to have to get the firmware updated or the other because its not working properly (disappearing).

Brandon

My dilemma is, I can't decide which one to go with, they are both real close in price and have similar speed specs from what I have read however, the big thing is that is seems there is an issue with alot of the X256 drives not working (disappearing) and having to be RMA'd. As far as the P256 goes, I would like to know that Samsung was going to release a Firmware updater for it before I bought it...lol Anyway, are there users out there that are on here that have the X256 that aren't having issues with it? I just don't want to have to go through the hassle of RMA'ing either, one to have to get the firmware updated or the other because its not working properly (disappearing).

Brandon

Having had previous experience with Samsung (none of it good I hasten to add) I wouldn't even consider any SSD with their controller inside. They say they are working on a firmware updater, but then they've been saying this for the best part of 3/4 months.

It is difficult to make a concerted decision with something as costly as an SSD, but the thing to remember (as always) is that this is a "support" forum and as such there will appear to be a lot of problems; the reality is much different though. If the X- series (or any series) were as bad as some think then this forum would be overflowing with complaints.

I 'used' to have an SSD with a Samsung controlller, but now I've got myself a nice X-64 (can't afford a 256, sob) and it has been fine. If, at any time, it fails then I know I can RMA it within the next 2 years.

I wouldn't worry too much about the apparrant high returns, they are, in all probability, less than 1% of all drives sold; any more than this then I reckon Corsair would pull them from sale.

The one thing to remember is that SSDs are still relatively new (even though the technology has been around for a while) and it's nigh impossible to foresee every eventuality with every system; which are, of course, as unique and as individual as we are. Hope this helps :biggrin:

• Corsair Employees

Davyc

Did you get the Samsung drive from us? If so and you are having a problem then let me know and we can have you send it to me directly I will get the firmware updated.

But the Samsung Drives seem to offer the best performance and least amount of Bugs with software. The X Series are the fastest drives but will require some maintenance. Running the wiper utility from time to time to keep the performance up. But either drive will be a great choice for most systems and depending on the configuration of your system and how you will use it would determine which series I would suggest.

Noooooooooo - not a Corsair drive; it was another maker lol.

I can't and won't say that the samsung drives are bad - they're not!! But samsung are a law unto themselves and give the appearance of looking down on end users when it comes to support and are so slooooowwww at helping out. I've had bad experiences with Samsung for many things (not just SSDs) so I guess I'm biased towards them lol.

I'm well pleased with my X-64 and the performance is awesome - maintenance I don't mind at all; after all the old slowcoach HDDs needed maintenance (defrag) and good house-keeping will keep performance high and hopefully even out the wear and preserve longevity.

I just wish that people arriving here would quell their fears when they see people asking about their drives in comparitively small numbers and make the assumption that a particular drive is flawed because a number of people are having problems.

It's understandably annoying to get a bad drive, but Sod's Law prevails in all things that we produce and nothing is ever going to be 100% perfect; having said that, a lot of problems are probably not drive related, but in something else either in the system or something that the User has done wrong (not intentionally) because SSDs need to handled differently to the old HDDs.

I'm an old school user and have been building computers (and trouble-shooting them) for what seems like eons (lol) and I've made a ton of mistakes along the way and blamed the hardware instead of myself; always learning and always keep a hammer in my back pocket just in case lol ;-)

Archived