Corsair Community

Recommend Ram for 3Ghz AMD

What up all. Last month I got a hold of a XP-M 2500. I killed a DFI Lanparty NFII Ultra B with it. (yes, the proc survived whoo hoo!) Best guess is the MOSFET gagged up a couple of intestines although theres nothing visually wrong with the board. Anyways I've got an Abit NF7-S now and everythings holding strong at near 2.8Ghz. Gotten it to post at 3 but afraid to leave it on past that till I get a peltier/water cool setup. Anyways I want good ram for the job and everyone knows the Latency/Bandwith trade with ram and how it can hurt AMD's. It is a Dual channel board and I am willing to use active cooling on the ram. I've gotten it to post at 246 MhzFSB. What do you think would be the best ram for the job?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I'd agree with CK on 2 things, that's a great OC! and to use the PC4000 or PC4400. I have both here but I have not been able to fully test the PC4400. I "think" however, that the PC4000 will actually run slightly tighter latencies though so I'd lean that way. They do have different ICs , PC4000=Hynix D43 Rev B, and PC4400 is Hynix D5s. My PC4000 has run stable at 265 mhz at 2.5,4,3,7 timings. Unless you think you you'll go way past 250mhz, I'd pick the PC4000. FWIW, mine likes 2.75v better than 2.85v, go figure. Mike.

Thanks for the input. Yes, this is a rather nice OC. I guess it should be though, this is the third board and 3 proc I've worked with trying to accomplish this. Only killed one of each so far. Cooling is starting to get alittle expensive too. Aight, cool, I'll probably go with the 4000 then unless theres any better suggestions. The main problem I've run into up to now is all the higher clocking ram says "intended for Pentuim" and the benchmarks I've read and how far they were able to push it seems to vary greatly from chip to chip.

Most RAM of PC3700 and faster is intended for Pentiums. But, that's because VERY FEW people get the FSB you have out of an AMD CPU. So, I think you are safe with the PC4000. And, since the AMDs run better synchronously, you prolly need to stay at 1:1 which means PC4000. I have not seen any RAM of any brand of PC4000 that will run any tighter timings than the Corsair. Let us know how you make out. Mike.

I have had my Shuttle to 242. Won't go further. But that's pretty good for PC3500:) Had to ratchet back timings to 2.5 7-3-3. Still great performance for the money. If I had H20 I think with Corsair 4000 I could get to 250/250 1:1.

[quote name='Lassiter']Still great performance for the money. If I had H20 I think with Corsair 4000 I could get to 250/250 1:1.[/QUOTE] That is great bang for the buck. I'd like to see the 250@1:1 out an AMD rig. That would be kool and prolly be an exceptional gamer's rig. Mike.

Yes it would :sunglasse but I would need active cooling on the northbridge, and possibly a mosfet job and I would use 8RDA vcore. But - Im thinking of going A64 3400+, or wait a tad and get FX53 later. 2.5 Ghz totally stable now with P95 9 hours and all game stable. For what I paid im happy as I get basically P4 3.2C performance, save the mem bandwidth. On a DFI ininity or LPB I would easily get 250. But getting a fully funtional board with high FSB with DFI is another thing as a previous poster eluded to. I getting away from K7 tech soon anyway-

[quote name='Lassiter'] I getting away from K7 tech soon anyway-[/QUOTE] No kidding. It's sad, no matter how good it is, or how well it runs, it's almost obsolete before you finish paying off the credit card bill. Happy Computing. Mike.

Na, don't get me wrong. This isn't a PC I really plan too much on using. Justa toy to tinker with. I'll be sticking with my 64 3200, unless this box blows me away. This is mainly just to give me something to do untill the first quarter of next year when I build a new power house. Also I've never really OCed like this before. Most times when I build a pc the parts are to expensive to want to risk. This thing as far as parts go has been fairly cheap so far and the money I spend on cooling is ok because I'll end up throwing it all on one of my power house PCs later on down the road. Who knows, I might actually replace the proc or motherboard if I burn it. I'll be getting in my water cooling stuff for the XP-M 2500 by the end of the week. I'll post results by Sunday. Who knows, if this turns out to work fairly well I might jump at some peltier cooling supplies.

My next setup won't be overclocking based. I might clock slightly but this time I don't want to fool with it. I'll just get a fast chip and fast chipset, and the fastest graphics subsystem that can be had - and leave it at that. No foolin' around with it for at least a year or more.

Basicly yeah Lassiter thats what I do too, but I heard about people taking these XP-M procs to crazy heights and figured I'd try it and see if the results were really worth it. If I only wanted to fork out like lets say $400 on a system see if I could make it run with the new "big dogs". After I found this to be to be true (as I said this cheap little bastard out benchmarks my 64 3200 @ 2.15 and my roommate's fx-51 @ 2.3) I figured why not try and see what it'll do with a little money put into it. Justa project. When the FX-55s come out on a Nvidia 3 250 chipset with DDR2 ram and PCI express I'll jump on that with probably the Nvidia 6800 or 6850 (or whatever is the graphics big dog will be at the time) I'll be jumping to that and like you I'll probably be clocking it very little because it'll be too expensive to fry.

i am expecting an abit nf7 v2.0 and a mobile xp2500 with 2x 256 xms4000 to be delivered n e day now.. though i aint purchased a hsf yet... i was goin for the Tt volcano 12.. but considerin that the oc potential is that high.. i might splash out.. what hsf are u using??? surely a thermalright slk full copper at the least.. like even the one with the heatpipes.. or a big ass swiftech. i got the xms4000 at an amazin price (about as cheap the generic pc3200), and id like to think i could take full advantage of the ddr500 So, can u write yur full system spec.. inc everything u know.. also, what version of the abit nf7-s do u have, im guessing v2.0 ... it must be... also include all the stuff like psu rail amp's if u can.. cheers

Well, the things is that going ultra cheap like I did is not really the best way to go unless you like spending alot of time tweaking and inside your case. I have an SLK900 with a 92MM Panflo to cool things and for quietness. First of all, I want to spend less time tweaking and more time on task and not inside the case anymore. I have actually 'graduated' from overclocking (if there is such a thing). I have been doing this since the celeron 500 days, and being a little older and with business growing I need to [U]not[/U] be overclocking as much, if at all, unless reviewing a mainboard. Quite frankly I have done a 180 and gone back to the roots of building -no case windows, no round IDE cables, no expensive HSF, no overclocking - just a fast stock system. Im actually more interested in the new Dell (samsung built) 20" monitors that will do 16 MS with no ghosting,and a Sonota case for my personal use. No rounded cables, just superbly folded IDE cables. No trickery or funky circus lights. I want a great LCD like I said and a quiet system, and no reason to open the case other than to blow out a few dust bunnies. This also means not having to read so many overclocking threads endlessly. Just productivity threads ;)

Ahright, TheCleaner here are my system specs thus far. Abit NF7-S Ver 2.0 SLK-900 with Artic Silver 5 MCX159-A on the chipset with Artic Silver 5 Generic 3200 ram running dual channel at 333 Heat sinks on all chips and MOSFET Vantec 520A PSU Case type is irrelevant because it and the dremel have met on a couple occations and are close friends. First of all, if you're going to do any clocking with that board get that chipset cooler off of the board and replace it with something functional. The one thay put on there is not only pointless (almost) but the factory put very little thermal compound under it. Taking mine off I found that it only had a little spot of silicon compound that spread out to the size of a dime. If you arn't into putting too much money into it you can run the SLK-900 heat sink on that proc at 2.2-2.4 Ghz with a quiet 92mm fan. 2.4-2.6 as long as you have exceptional air movement in the case. I wont buy a "sky rise" HSF like the Coolermaster Hyper 6, Thermaltake Tower 112, etc because their weight and leverage scares me. The Hyper 6 weights 2.5 pounds with out a fan and that weight at 4.7 inches tall seems excessive. If you are willing to watercool it and want to put the time into it for 2.6+ I recommend it. I'll post watercooling results this weekend. Please not that with a water cooler you will not have nearly the same amount of cooling air flowing over the MOSFET. Adding heatsinks and maybe mounting a 40-60mm fan should make up the difference. I'll probably be putting in Corsair TwinX 1024-4000 or 3500. I choose the Vantec 520A PSU for several reasons. Many powersupplies are rated in peak wattage rather then RMS. Also Many say that they are a higher wattage but can only hold that wattage for no longer then 15 seconds. The 520A is rated at 520 watts but can hold 620 for up to a minute (wow). Also this power supply has a built in power out that turns on wil a relay only when the PC is turned on. So cut the plug off of a power strip, opened up the PSU and soldered the power strip into the back side of the PSU plug outlet. This'll help when I put in a water pump and maybe if I ever install a peltier system. Basicly it'll apply power to powerstrip and everything when I turn on the PC so there is no extra wiring to plug in and no extra relays. Also someone else could turn the system on with no knowledge of the system and not fry it because they for got to plug something in or to hit a switch. NOTE: If you do try this KNOW WHAT YOU ARE DOING. Not discharging the caps in any PSU + opening it up + oops = Hospital/Pain/$100 lost. There are other ways of doing this. At any rate also remember water + AC could = unhappyness too. I'm building my own water cooling system. This is the variable in whether or not I post results this weekend. I need to test my reservoir will hold 600GPH. I'll leak check it in tomarrow for 48-72 hours. Sorry for those who don't like reading, but for those who do I hope it helps. I was going to write more about the PSU and my experiences but most people wouldn't care enough.

I got it to 2.7 - but I have added mosfet HS's and active cooling with AS5 on the northbrigdge. I also use 8RDA vcore to get that higher vcore to get an extreme clock, havings said that this is my rig, and .. I also have actual things I want do do production wise so I wanted it supremely stable. 2.5 was the sweet spot for me with moderate voltage, and the system is fairly quiet. The hyper-x is of the BH5 variety. So it's very, very good with respect to nforce2. Wirth this clock dialed in like it is I really dont need an upgrade immediately. Im fine. Hey - Enlight 8950 is a nice case. I like funtional biege cases. YoueatLard has superb advice there. Best stuff I have read in a while. He knows what he is doing, and I would welcome YoueatLard to go on with the overclocking description if need be. I enjoy readiing what the expert like him has to say just as I do the total rookie. It's all good! Nice info YoueatLard! Sounds alot like what I did minus the H2O project. Next rig for me is totally stock (I think?!?). lol.

I got my nf7 V2.0 and mobile xp2500 today, but cant even test them yet :(: basically because this is all i have of the new system, i expect t have the 512mb of xms4000 by saturday, but even then i still ownt be able to test... but by monday, i should get the latter of this build (btw its my first system build from scratch) which will be a Tt Extreme Volcano 12, and a 120GB Western Digital Caviar SE. So monday night, the dawn of a new computer for me... just take a look at my sig at the moment, a duron 700mhz system, ubber rubbishness, though i shudnt bad mouth it, its worked hard for me, and has been rock stable running stuff like Half life : counterstrike, but in reality this game it like 6 years old, an d the system just aint upto the stuff i need to use it for (farcry, photoshop 7, boots less than 5 mins) So without further adu... this is guna be my new system, any guesses on what ill get out of it.. i wanna at LEAST get to 200 x 11, that will make the money i spent worth it, cus im gettin xp3200 speeds for a fraction of the price. Abit NF7 (no sata/raid) V2.0 Mobile XP2500 AXMH2500FQQ4C IQYHA 0402SPMW <<< What are yor steppings lassiter and youeatlard Cooled with Tt Extreme Volcano 12, stock TIM 2x 256 Corsair XMS4000, black heat spreaders 120GB WDE Caviar SE 8mb cache 7200rpm (partitioned, 10g windows, 50g documents, 55g programfiles/games, 5g virtual mem, all ntfs) Im indecisive about the sound.. i have a sb live 5.1, but the onboard might be just as good, plus ill finally be able to connect my front audio/mic (seems to be no relevent headers on the sb live) 400W encer temp controlled PSU Ill be still using my current stuff like the fx5200, cd-rw, and 2.1 speakers... but this aint permenant.. ill probs get at least 5700ultra, cd-rw/dvd-rom, and inspire 5.1 in the near future Well that my rant over with, ill keep u posted on how i do

I don;t know my steppings. I ordered the Mobile and popped it in. When and if I take it out I'll let you know. I knew it would get 2.5+ wasy in this motherboard with a few mods. The Shuttel I have is know for pretty high clocks it it's own right, and since im not crazy about SATA I didn't need the Abit.

yeah, iwas going to get the msi k7n2 delta-l (no sata/raid/fire) with the retail version of the desktop 2500.. but it was only going to be about £15 - £20 more for the abit, and a mobile 2500, which is guarenteed unlocked, and as u obviously know runs at lower stok volts (even better than the 'before week 39' unlocked bartons) and some people would stupidly pay massive amount of moey for a -week39, not knowin a mobile one does all that, plus more, for less... also, i suppose if u were ever wanting to build a very quiet pc, not overclocked, u could probs use a low speed cooler, and temps probs wouldnt be too bad.. after all, we are using laptop cpus in full size cases with lots of gusty fans one question though, what fsb does this processor go to at the first post.. 333 (like all desktop 2500's) or 266 (as the last letter in the stepping code would suggest(the c stands for 266max fsb))

Same way on the steppings. Sorry. I'll be installing the waterblock hopefully today (Friday 07May04) so I'll be able to update then. The NF7-S along with several other boards are clueless what type of proc an XP-M is and will default to lowest speeds possible. If I remember correctly the NF7-S board defaulted to 100Mhz X 5. I think my DFI did 100Mhz X 6. Getting a stable 2.2 should be cake. The 2500 and the 3200 are the same proc with different bus speed and multiplier. The difference between them and the XP-M is only factory testing. AMD first tests the proc to run at stock 1.65 volts. If yes they test for 1.45 volts. If yes then it gets labled XP-M. If no it goes further down the like to have the fuses burnt for 2500 or 3200. This is why there is a demand for the unlocked (pre week 39 03 I think) and XP-M procs. Getting the XP-M just means that overall it is a better proc that should clock well. I believe they do this testing by batch so there is still room for some to clock poorly. I'm still fairly certain you'll attain 2.4 with little voltage adjustment. The Volcano 12 is an impressive heatsink that should give you some clocking room. If you do run it high and wish to keep it up there a ducting kit should help temps a little. Make steps not leaps when clocking. Also you might start by setting the RAM divider to 6/5, proc multiplier to 8, and experiment with the FSB. This'll tell you how far the board will go. Good Luck.

Well i now have the ram, mobo, and cpu, enough to make a system.. i got 2 256mb modules of V3.1 XMS4000 Unbuffered Non-ECC, and all numbers, including lot# are the same, so ive basicall got twinx, cept seperately it came in much skimpier pakaging than i ever would have imagined.. basically its one of thos pop together plast things, which can be opened so easily, id never do anything like this, but i must say, any shifty characters out of view in a computer store, this stuff would be too easy for sum1 to pinch well i dont care cus i bought mine fair n square im almost temped to put my current duron 700 coller onto the mobile xp.. but with no therm grease.. i wudnt even bother.. ill anxiously wait until monday night.. (maybe even tomorrow, if they company is extra kind to me, and send the stuff early) as you may guess, this is the BEST equipment ive ever owned, or even used for that matter, ive been on loads of computers, but i dont think any will rival what im about to create, (all the top end ones ive been on are all 2.summit Ghz P4 with the old 533 mhz bus), non of my mates oc, so look like im the first to own such a rig So.. combining an abit mobo, with a mobile cpu, and xms ram, i should be in oc heaven.. but im limited by the fx5200 and all but average case cooling (all 80mm, 4 front intake, 2 rear (3inc psu) exhaust fan (used to pull air over fx5200's passive heatsink) and a side intake, which i might remove as its a lil noisy... Also, startin my road to moddin, i hope to mod the case, so it will take a 120mm in the front, cus i dont think i cud bear 4 noisy 80mm fans... :eek: Well, 2mora, or monday, i should be on the path of ritual... ill keep u posted

i just a lil aprehencive about the initial boot... and dont wana get my hopes up too much.. all of the kit its brand new, no second hand auction stuff in this system.. but ill be just glad to get the thing running at the stock 1.8ghz and the ram running with it ok at that speed... the volcano 12 cooler should be more than ample for a mobile cpu at stock speed.. so temps should be nice n chilly.. as soon as xp is fully installed, all the drivers etc r installed, and partitions properly setup.. then, and only then, will i start to overclock so n e way, pershoot, whats this L12 mod, does it involve invalidating yur mobo.. by doin summit physical (like permenantly changing the socket).. i know it involves connecting sum pins on the socket.. but is n e thing permenant one thing for youeatlard and lassiter, when the mobile 2500 started at its lowest speed, did u still have to take the safe 5mhz at a time, to get it back to stock speeds, or did u just go straight in there from 100 x 6, 166 x 11.. as technically, yur not overclocking it, just bringing it back to norm speeds

Archived