Corsair Community

VX450w Power Supply Question on connections to MOBO

bluebeam

I want to swap out an existing 300w power supply and replace with the VX450. However, the terms are confusing to me. I am good to go with the 24 pin (PWR1) power connection exchange. What I don't understand is the existing MOBO has another 12v PWR2 pin. The connector from the 300w powersupply has P2 on the plug (there are four pins).

Does the VX450w have a matching connector? It has 4/8 pin power connector. Can one of these be used? (I have no idea what P2 means in this case or P4.) Can I use this power supply with this mobo?

There's no guarantee that this PSU would work on a Dell system, as they're largely proprietary. You'd need to find out if the dell motherboard follows ATX v2.01 or higher specs. Having said that, if you do try it, the 4/8 pin power connector splits into 2 pieces, and you would use one of those.

Thanks I tired it and appears to have fried my mobo. Stopped working. There is power and fans run, but doesn't post. I put the old one back in and still doesn't work.

After much hunting around I found one of the memory modules had popped. I secured that down, pulled the battery and restarted. Got a checksum error on Windows and went thru that and reloaded the BIOS to default and then Windows ran thru a repair. Anyway, finally got Windows up and running and had to reset the date/time.

I hate to assume, but if the loose memory module was my problem it doesn't appear that the Corsair fried my board and that I can go ahead and replace the Dell power supply.

I am a bit leery after all that to try again. Any comments?

Archived