Corsair Community

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UD3R and TWIN2X4096-8500C5D

Arnault

Purchased the motherboard and RAM in June 09 for my PC at home. All seemed fine for the first month or so then I started to get random Blue Screen Of Death (BSOD) resets. Over the next 2 months I labouriously checked components for temperatures not understanding what the crux of the issue was. However, having found this forum and done a bit of investigating with other RAM I've come to the conclusion that the problem has been the Corsair RAM all this time.

I've had all different types of errors but the most common was the "IRQ not equal..." one, and just recently I've been getting Windows 7 64bit reporting that I have "memory problems". Allowing the memory test to run has confirmed that I indeed have problems with the Corsair Twin2x4096-8500C5D.

I called the Australian store that I bought the memory from and they were adamant that they would not refund me the cost of the RAM so I reluctantly bought a different manufacturer's memory and installed it.

Since installing the new memory my PC has been running without fault and at stock timings (1066MHz).

The purpose of this post is to allow other users of the same motherboard and ram configuration to see that it is indeed the RAM that is at fault and not other components or the motherboard itself. I certainly was greatful to finally discover the reason why my PC would reset randomly.

I swapped out both sticks and tested each with the Vista memory test done after a reboot. I had errors on both at 1.8V. Thanks to this forum I upped the voltage to the recommended 2.1V but still had errors.

To be honest I did not know that an RMA was an option for me. I approached the retailer and explained the problem and they were adamant that they would not issue me with a replacement OR refund if the RAM was working.

How do I explain that the RAM was working for the most part, just every now and then it would cause a BSOD? They argued that if they tested the RAM in another motherboard and it worked then it was deemed to be working... even though it doesn't work reliably in my GA-EP45-UD3R.

So I bought new RAM thinking that was my only option.

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update to my experience:

2 weeks ago I replaced the Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5D with another brand of memory. 2 x 2Gb PC8500 memory was installed in the same slots as the Corsair sticks. Not a single crash, reset, or Blue Screen of Death. Clearly the issue was the Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5D.

Thankfully after lengthy conversations with the retailer about the memory, and showing them this forum they have agreed to credit my account with the cost of the Corsair TWIN2X4096-8500C5D.

If it wasn't for this forum I doubt I would have been able to resolve this problem as it wasn't always presenting with obvious memory errors.

Archived