Corsair Community

Issue with new HX750 - DOA?

gnesterenko

For a few weeks now, my system radonly refuses to boot. Sometimes nothing will spin up at all and no system noise is made. Sometimes the boot will start but die before Windows gets a chance to load fully. The only way I have been able to fix it (each time) is to flip the off switch in the back of the PSU (This is my old 420W enermax) for 30 seconds or so and then flip it back. Improves chances of successfully making it to Windows. Once IN windows, computer runs just fine with no sign of trouble - now i'm just afraid to turn it off!

I should mention that before I take this step, the green PWR light

on the motherboard blinks instead of remaining solid - which wound indicate all is well.

Now, I figured my power supply was going, as it was over 5 years old at this point, so I pulled the trigger on a new HX750 as I've been wanting one for a while anyway.

It has never booted my computer properly. All I get is the blinking green light and nothing else. I figured - faulty PSU - though I haven't done the plug in a single fan and jump the power connection test yet, gonna do that sometime over next few days. In addition to that, even though it won't even begin to boot my system, the PSU makes a distinct buzzing noise when plugged in. This led me to hypothethize that I simply got a DOA unit. So I went about trying to confirm it.

Since the Corsair wasn't working, I decided to first, throw in a new CMOS batter as THAT's years old as well. That done, the 2nd thing I did was put in my old PSU for the time being. Before doing that however, I took the covering off and for the first time in its 5 year life, cleaned the heck out of the insides. They were VERY dust-clogged. SINCE doing that, I've had absolutely no trouble booting the computer - although voltages are still below nominal levels on all rails (but they have been for a while, or even always as far as I know). Maybe there were just shorts/overheating going on due to the dust-clog?

Anyway, since the system works and the old PSU works, there's no reason the new PSU shouldn't work, right? Well here is the thing - I know that the blinking LED is tied to the 5V rail. That got me thinking.

My motherboard that I am experiencing these issues on is an Asus A8N-SLI Premium - which uses the ATX12V 2.0 specification. Now checking out Wikipedia on the ATX12V power specs, the 2.0 version moved the 5V circuit to the 24 pin connector and significantly reduced the power flowing through this 5V circuit. All well and good.

Then I took a look at ATX12V 2.01 specification. Quote "This is a minor revision from June 2004. The −5 V rail was completely removed from the specification."

Then I took a look at my new Corsair HX750 specs and saw that it purported to support ATX12V specs 2.3, and backwards compatible only to 2.01 - not 2.0.

Could the fact that the 5V rail was removed in 2.01 be the source of my troubles? Going to test the power supply by jumping the pins and/or with my dads computer which uses a newer mobo and a modern ATX12V spec. To get some further data.

So what do you guys think. Bad Corsair PSU, mobo going, both? or what?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Your motherboard was made well after ATX v2.01 was implemented back in 2004, so it has nothing to do with the -5v line missing. Note that it still has the +5v line.

As for your employer - no one cares what they think, so you're safe :) Might want to change your registration email address to a non-work one though :)

roger - at least it SHOULD work. Now just gotta figure out if the problem lies with the PSU or the mobo.

And good call on the e-mail. Changing that now. As for the disclaimer - company policy, not much I can do there.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I don't know exactly, but I imagine that my IP could be logged, traced to a provider and finally an account, or something along those lines. It may be a faint risk, but these folk take risk and security very very seriously. In fact, I am not even allowed to plug in any usb devices for the risk of infecting the intranet.

Still haven't tested the PSU though - heh. Hopefully it works, but that buzzing sound I mentioned that it makes when power switch is on doesn't seem natural. Have a feeling and RMA is coming.

Archived