Corsair Community

Computer will not boot after adding 2 new sticks of RAM

Earthbolt

Hello,

First time post, so I will try and be as clear as possible.

I have had 2GB of Corsair TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX RAM in my system for a couple of years. Never had any problems.

I was planning to upgrade from Vista 32-bit, to Windows 7 64-bit when Windows 7 is released, so I decided to buy an additional 2GB of TWIN3X2048-1333C9DHX RAM.

First thing I noticed, was that although its the same model, my original pair is Version 1.1, and the new pair is version 3.3.

Both say they operate at 1.5V, so I didn't think this would be a problem.

When I put the new pair in, the machine powers on, nothing appears on screen, and within 5-10 seconds, it shuts off completely. If I wait another 10-15 seconds, it tries again, and will continue to do this until I cut the power.

Figuring one of the DIMMs might be defective, I tried adding each DIMM separately, in each of the 2 free slots.

A couple of times it began booting, but froze at Verifying DMI Pool, and a couple of other times it got to the windows login screen, but when I tried to login, I got a blue screen, and the machine rebooted.

If I simply use the new ram by itself, the machine boots up perfectly, and there is no problem.

I ran MemTest86+ on both pairs of DIMMs separately, and both tests came back with no errors or problems of any kind.

I even tried each pair in all possible combinations of slots on the motherboard, but as long as there are only 2 DIMMs, it seems to boot perfectly.

Even if I mix and match one old and one new DIMM, it still works fine as long as there are only 2.

As soon as I add the 3rd, it no longer boots.

If any further information is needed, please let me know.

Thanks in advance.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR1066 and set the memory Voltage to 1.7-1.90 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Hi Ram Guy,

I have tried increasing both the MCH Voltage by 0.2V, and the DDR voltage by 0.2V as well (seperately as well as at the same time)

However, I am still unable to boot the machine at all as long as 3 or 4 DIMMs are in place (Preventing me from running memtest)

Since my machine boots up fine when I only have 2 DIMMs in place, I ran memtest86+ on each of the pairs of DIMMs seperately, and there were no errors.

I have not yet tried lowering the frequency of the RAM from 1333 to 1066.

If somehow this worked and it did boot up, would that mean there is no way to run all 4 dimms at the proper 1333MHz frequency?

I appreciate your response, and I look forward to hearing from you again.

• Corsair Employees
I have not yet tried lowering the frequency of the RAM from 1333 to 1066.

If somehow this worked and it did boot up, would that mean there is no way to run all 4 dimms at the proper 1333MHz frequency?

I am sorry but it is hit and miss when mixing memory, and running them at full speed is just sometimes not possible. I would suggest the settings I suggested and see if it will post, if so then you can try and over clock the system if you like to get a bit more out of the memory.

Archived