Corsair Community

X256 not recognized

carter3d

I posted in another thread already, but I am experiencing what seems to be the same issue as a number of others with my X256. Worked for a few hours, my system (macbook pro, last model before unibody) starting locking up, after several hard resets and corruption of my mail database, eventually the drive failed to be recognized.

I put my old Fujitsu 160GB drive back in the system and it came right up. I also have an external SATA drive dock that I put the X256 in, but it isn't recognized that way either.

Originally, I was going to send the drive back to Newegg and order a different drive (their refund policy doesn't normally allow this, but they made the exception for me). I didn't want to go through the hassle again with another X256 if this is not simply a quality issue (and is instead an issue between my SATA controller, EFI version, or the Indilinx controller onboard the X256... in this case, all the new drives in the world won't help me). I even ordered another SSD, and it is being shipped to my house right now. But the "new" SSD is using a different controller, with lesser performance, and if I'm going to drop $700 on a new drive, I want the best I can get.

So I'm going to go ahead and give Corsair another chance and go through the RMA process for another X256. I have an assigned RMA number and will ship back this afternoon. I have a few questions though:

1) Can anything be done to get a new drive out to me quickly? I'm only "borrowing" the old drive for my system (it has a new lease on life in another system). I left a message with Corsair this morning, but haven't received a call back.

2) What steps are taken to ensure that the data currently on the drive is destroyed? I would normally use a secure erase type of program to clean the drive before returning, but in this case, I can't get to the data. I can't find a statement on Corsair's site concerning this.

3) I don't see the ability to update firmware on Corsair's site, although several other manufacturer's using the same controller are offering firmware updates. Is there a firmware update coming? Can it be loaded by a consumer? And how can it be done with Mac OS (or a VM running Windows)?

All my system info is contained in my user info. Any help in answering my questions or addressing my problem is appreciated.

• Corsair Employees
1) Can anything be done to get a new drive out to me quickly? I'm only "borrowing" the old drive for my system (it has a new lease on life in another system). I left a message with Corsair this morning, but haven't received a call back.

A: I am sorry but from Tech support we can only do a standard RMA I would suggest asking the reseller if they have another way to do that type of transaction.

2) What steps are taken to ensure that the data currently on the drive is destroyed? I would normally use a secure erase type of program to clean the drive before returning, but in this case, I can't get to the data. I can't find a statement on Corsair's site concerning this.

A: Any drive coming back on RMA would be wiped clean and formatted before testing was done.

3) I don't see the ability to update firmware on Corsair's site, although several other manufacturer's using the same controller are offering firmware updates. Is there a firmware update coming? Can it be loaded by a consumer? And how can it be done with Mac OS (or a VM running Windows)?

A: ATM there are no updates available, we are using the latest reference firmware, and I cannot speak about what another manufacturer has done or will do. We will release new Firmware versions when they are available along with the update utility. And I am sorry I have no information on using a Apple system and I doubt I will until the application is released but I suspect it will be Windows only application.

Archived