Corsair Community

H50 Fan Direction

baerms

I have a case with 5 spots for fans. 1 in front, 2 in the middle at different levels. 1 in the back, 1 on top. I just bought a H50. I am concerned about how to vent the radiator. The easiest thing to do would be to hang it where the 120 fan exhaust in the back, but change it to an intake. I have two problems with this though. First of all, I only have the exhaust fan up top for the case (I have a fan in front and in the "lower" chamber but they all pull air in), second this will be pulling in air from the power supply exhaust and the graphics card exhaust. I have contemplated flipping it to be an exhaust and using dual fans for push/pull, but the reviews seem to give varying opinions on this. I could try to pull and/or vent from the top - but venting hot air out the top seems like a no brainer. I could move a hard drive in my center case and try to pull air from the front.

Has anyone used an H50 in a case like this? - How did you mount it? Are you happy with the results?

BTW - I have 4 sticks of RAM and I had to increase the voltage on my Northbridge chip already and I have to watch the temp carefully.

I have two problems with this though. First of all, I only have the exhaust fan up top for the case (I have a fan in front and in the "lower" chamber but they all pull air in), second this will be pulling in air from the power supply exhaust and the graphics card exhaust.

Everything I have read, including official Corsair documentation, states that one or more intake fans may have to be flipped and used as exhaust fans for optimal performance. In other words, you may have to choose to flip either the "fan in front" or the fan "in the lower chamber" which are currently being used for intake.

I hope that is what you were asking.

loking at the layout of the p180, i would mount your hard drives in the bottom cage. leave the middle cage empty and leave the 120mm intake fan unobstructed. if u have the abliity to add a second fan at the back of the cage i would install that as well so you get better flow to the center of the case.( the 900 has this feature) install the h50 onthe 120mm fan and change it to intake. leave top fan as exhaust, but you may want to set it one notch higher for the fan speed. your current hsf still exhuasts air into the case and either out the back or the top. at least this way you have room-temp air coming in to cool your rad and not warmer case air.other than modding or changing your case i really dont think there is much more you could do. the p180 was designed as a "silent" case, but definately not a case with much more than standard airflow.

I have 1 case similar to this. It is a p160 with a 120mm vent added to the top. I have the H50 mounted with 2 fans blowing in, the front fan is an intake, and the top exhaust. I have had good results like this. I did have a fan mounted on the side cover but found I got the same performance without it as I did with, so I put my solid cover back on. I only have a video card in the system and I removed all the other slot covers and mounted a 100mm fan on the back of the case to bring in cool air for the MB and the bottom of the case. This additional fan at the back seems to have helped the most. One thing I have found with this cooler is that are certain fan configurations that work the best. So play around a little and see which works best for you. In my experience having the air blow in on the radiator with a push/pull configuration with mid speed fans (1300-1500 rpm) results in the best performance to noise ratio for the cpu temp. On my other case with a big side fan it works best when exhausting. Top Exhaust blowing out is a given, and I have both cases front intake fans blowing in. If you have room you might try putting a fan on the back blowing in where the slot covers are and see if it helps your mb temp.

Archived