Corsair Community

P4P800 Deluxe + Twinx3200LL = Nightmare

carlosalt

hi Got an Asus P4P800 deluxe with 2 off 256MB Kingston HyperX runing at 2/3/2/5/8 for the last 5 months. Decided to upgrade to 1GB and wanted low latency as I dont overclock. After following recomendations on this site I purchased Corsair TwinX1024-3200LLPT (2x512) CMX. Stuck it in at SPD setting and booted in to XP no problem. When it came to games like FarCry or UT2004 it crashes after about 10 mins Then tried the following with the same problem 2/3/2/6/8 (Asus 2/2/3/6/8) at 2.65V & 2.75V 2.5/3/2/6/8 3/3/3/6/8 - games ran for half hour on this but when i rebooted i got the dreaded black screen. Took me an hour to recover it and had to put the HyperX back in. Also ran memtest which locked up and forced me into a reflash. Anyway WHAT NOW ? :confused: Tried everythin suggested on here and im not really into spending my evening trying all sorts of combos and staring at memtest. Legacy off, 2.65 & 2.75v (Next step up 2.85) Lates ATI and drivers as I reformatted a couple of weeks ago Mt setup Asus P4p800Deluxe BIOS 1016 (Latest) P3.2Ghz 800FSB Hercules 9800Pro 128MB Twin Raid0 SATA Raptors Maxtor on IDE DVDRom/Zip/CDr Using on board sound into 5.1 speakers Ta CArlo

Well ive been scanning all the newsgroup and I did find a recommendation from RAMMAn to set the Dram Burst Length to 4. Mine was at 8 so i did as he said.(on my BIOS its called "Bank Interleave"). Well done an intensive hour of gaming and been on the pc for another hour and touch wood no problems so far. This is by far the longest its been ok Ill keep u posted. dont really want to do a memtest at the mo CSX

• Corsair Employees
I am sorry that your post was over looked! I would suggest that you test the modules one at a time with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] and please try these settings after you load setup defaults: CPU Freq: 200 Dim Voltage: 2.75 Volts DRAM Clock: 400 MHz System performance: Standard SDRAM CAS Latency: 2T SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 3T SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 2T SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 6T SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 Bank All other settings are motherboard defaults. And with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] you will need to disable legacy USB support in the bios as well.

Tried this and got the locked up black screen. Stuck my HyperX in and booted OK. Ive given up. It sounds highly likely that they are faulty. Only had them a few days so ive sent them back. Not sure what to get now as a replacement ?. Although this was probably down to faulty sticks I just can stop thinking it may be a compatability with my setup isssue CSX

[quote name='carlosalt']hi Got an Asus P4P800 deluxe with 2 off 256MB Kingston HyperX runing at 2/3/2/5/8 for the last 5 months. Decided to upgrade to 1GB and wanted low latency as I dont overclock. After following recomendations on this site I purchased Corsair TwinX1024-3200LLPT (2x512) CMX. Stuck it in at SPD setting and booted in to XP no problem. When it came to games like FarCry or UT2004 it crashes after about 10 mins Then tried the following with the same problem 2/3/2/6/8 (Asus 2/2/3/6/8) at 2.65V & 2.75V 2.5/3/2/6/8 3/3/3/6/8 - games ran for half hour on this but when i rebooted i got the dreaded black screen. Took me an hour to recover it and had to put the HyperX back in. Also ran memtest which locked up and forced me into a reflash. Anyway WHAT NOW ? :confused: Tried everythin suggested on here and im not really into spending my evening trying all sorts of combos and staring at memtest. Legacy off, 2.65 & 2.75v (Next step up 2.85) Lates ATI and drivers as I reformatted a couple of weeks ago Mt setup Asus P4p800Deluxe BIOS 1016 (Latest) P3.2Ghz 800FSB Hercules 9800Pro 128MB Twin Raid0 SATA Raptors Maxtor on IDE DVDRom/Zip/CDr Using on board sound into 5.1 speakers Ta CArlo[/QUOTE] I think your problem could be something else. If you have tested the ram independently one at a time and receive no errors then I would think you either set the wrong settings in BIOS or something else causes your comp to hang. I have P4P800 Deluxe rev 2.00 and also XMS 1024-3200LL (Black ones). My settings for the ram voltage are auto (2.5volt default) performance mode must be set to AUTO again MAM/PAT = ENABLED Timings: 2-3-2-6 (Its rated speed) Dram Burst Length = 8 You should run your memory using the above settings. And now you can test them individually again and both after. Then... When you go to windows, go to Smartgart settings (Under ATi control panel): Disable AGP fastwrites, and try set the AGP speed to 4X and reboot. Now run your game again see if it is working fine. Mine is rock solid with memtest86, prime95, 3dmark loops, and never crashes. Also im using Cat4.1

i forgot to say im using a 9500pro Smartgart settings: AGP:8X and fastwrite ON. But it is recommended that you turn it off, and set 4X just to see if it will solve the problem.

• Corsair Employees
I would have to agree with SAUZA, it sounds suspicious, I would try what I suggested previously and load setup defaults before you make the changes and test the modules one at a time.

Archived