Corsair Community

How do I troubleshoot a PS?

Jammer53

Hi folks. First post in these forums. I'm a mod at ArsTechnica and have read the posting guidelines for these forums, so I don't think I'll be in any type of violation. If so please let me know.

So, on to my situation. In April, I purchased a Corsair HX520W Modular Power Supply and installed it in my gaming box. I'm running an Asus motherboard, 7750 cpu, 4 gigs of Corsair ram and a Seagate 500gb hard drive, XFX 9800 GT 512 vid card and a couple of DVD-RWs. No overclocking involved.

All of a sudden, the computer won't post. The cpu and case fans power up, and then I hear a click and then another, and all the fans go down to about one-third speed.

When I disconnect the power to the hard drive, the click goes away, but the fans do the same thing and the computer just won't boot.

Another symptom is that the 22" Samsung FP monitor constantly searches for a video signal.

I"ve posted on Ars' motherboard and cpu forum, and the general consensus is that based on the symptoms and previous experience, several veteran members are convinced that the power supply is the cuplrit. I don't have another 24pin ATX PS to bench test, so I thought I'd ask here for your advice.

Perhaps you have a better method to determine if it is in fact the power supply. Should it have failed that quickly

TIA for any help you can provide.

Hi folks. First post in these forums. I'm a mod at ArsTechnica and have read the posting guidelines for these forums, so I don't think I'll be in any type of violation. If so please let me know.

So, on to my situation. In April, I purchased a Corsair HX520W Modular Power Supply and installed it in my gaming box. I'm running an Asus motherboard, 7750 cpu, 4 gigs of Corsair ram and a Seagate 500gb hard drive, XFX 9800 GT 512 vid card and a couple of DVD-RWs. No overclocking involved.

Correctamundo. Haven't broken any rules... just kind of ignored the one you can ignore :) the one about specs in profiles, not in posts? eheh

Try the PSU paperclip test that's in the stickies.

Wired

Well I purchased a power supply tester from Newegg and just used it on the 24pin ATX motherboard connector and guess what?

No power.

Guess I'll be trying to get an RMA.

Thanks for the reply.

J

PS: As you can see, I figured out how to add my system specs. ;o)

Archived