Corsair Community

2 kits of TWIN2X4096-8500C5D and Rampage Formula

youngcj3

Hi, I've been running 4GB of Twin2x4096-8500C5D ver 1.1 happily at 1066Mhz for a year on my Rampage Formula ver 1.00G (BIOS ver 0902) and then I wanted to add another 4GB using the same type of memory but ver 2.1

I dutifully followed the advice mentioned in other threads, setting: DRAM Freq to 800Mhz (I also have tried 667Mhz); DRAM Voltage at 2.1v; North Bridge Voltage +0.2v to 1.45v; DRAM Timing to 5,5,5,15 and Write Recovery Time to 5. The DRAM Command Rate I've switched between 1N and 2N with 2N seeming to be more successful. All other BIOS settings are at default.

6GB works great (asynchronously) but adding the last 2GB module causes the BIOS to freeze with the poster saying "DET RAM".

I did once manage to boot-up the PC with 8GB and it worked a treat. I even managed to restart a few times but when I Shut-Down and allowed the PC to cool-down, guess what..."DET RAM" again!

MemTest86+ runs on each and every module with no errors.

The Hardware Monitor reports (despite the above settings) when 6GB RAM is inserted, the: FSB Termination Voltage as 1.2v; DRAM voltage as 1.872v; the DRAM Controller Voltage Reference as 0.928v and the North Bridge at 1.488v.

Can anyone suggest a setting to coax the BIOS to reliably accept the last 2GB module?

Thanks for the response. I've tried the advice but with no success yet.

I had already manually set the DRAM voltage to 2.1v and have tried DRAM Freq at 667Mhz but still no-go.

The good news is that I can run 6GB at 1066Mhz (and higher) but no matter what the freq of the DRAM is set at, 8GB is a "DET RAM".

Would updating "Intel ICHR9" or "Intel X48 Processor to I/O" drivers have any (beneficial) effect, or is this just a sign of a desperate man clutching at straws? - mine are currently dated Jan/Feb 2008.

Could there be an issue with using Dominator 4GB ver2.1 with 4GB ver1.1 be an issue?

• Corsair Employees
Could there be an issue with using Dominator 4GB ver2.1 with 4GB ver1.1 be an issue?

NO, did you update the MB BIOS to the latest Version and have you tested each module one at a time to be sure one is not failing and when you installed all four modules, did you also increase the memory controller Voltage to +.2 Volts (NB/MCH/SPP)

Was that No to the first question, the second question, or both? :0)

The MB BIOS is at the latest version (0902).

Upon testing each of the 4 memory modules individually using Memtest86+ v2.11 (all passed with no errors) I did stumble across an anomally that may indicate a problem...when I put any of the memory modules in slots 1,2 or 3, Memtest says it's Type: DDR2, but when any of the modules are inserted into slot 4, Memtest reports it as DDR3. Is this likely to be a bug in Memtest or perhaps something odd with my MB? - could this be what is stopping me from installing more than 6GB?

However, no matter what slot I put the individual memory modules in, the opening BIOS reports DDR2.

In case all of the above is another red-herring. May I throw myself humbly at your feet again and expose my ignorance of OC/BIOS tweaking by admitting that the setting I have increased by 0.2v is called "North Bridge Voltage" on my MB. Is this the same as the Memory Controller Voltage you refer to?

I also have the following settings available to tweak (amongst others) but they are all set at AUTO at the moment except for FSB Frequency which is at 333:

DRAM CLK Skew on channel A

DRAM CLK Skew on channel B

DRAM channel A voltage ref

DRAM channel B voltage ref

DRAM static read control

DRAM controller voltage ref

FSB termination voltage

NB GTL voltage ref

Could any of them be useful in getting the MB to accept 8GB (the specs say it should).

I'm really grateful for any help with resolving this.

I had a similar problem with my ram. Had 8500C5D 2.1 before then I wanted 8gb ram so I bought 2 more. This time I got 1.1 though. It fine etc when I ran 8gb from the start but got random BSODs in windows and tons of errors using memtest86+.

What worked for me, strangely enough was to put the 2.1 sticks in slot 2 and 4 and then new 1.1 in slots 1 and 3. When I had them the other way around I would get tons of errors in memtest86 but now when I got home from work memtest86 had run for 12h without any errors on the full set of 8gb.

Only settings Ive changed in bios is manually set timings to 5-5-5-15 and volt to 2.1. Havent touched the NB volt etc thats on auto. But I will soon start overclocking again so guess Ive gotto find the manual settings soon enough :)

Anyways just thought Id share the info incase it would help you, very small chance of it though I reckon. My motherboard is a Asus P5Q-e btw.

• Corsair Employees

With 4 modules I would suggest you load setup defaults with all four installed and sett the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

And Yes on some MB's the NB north Bridge Voltage is what you would adjust to increase the memory controller Voltage.

Success!!! - after far too many weeks playing fruitlessly with settings the Rampage Formula has finally decided to work with 8GB installed.

The secret? - well turn all settings to Auto (forget about DRAM Freq changes, DRAM voltage settings North Bridge voltages, Command rates etc) and put the Twin2x4096-8500C5D ver 1.1 in slots DIMM A2 & B2 whilst the ver 2.1 modules go in DIMM A1 & B1.

CPU-Z reports they are running at a DRAM Freq of 400MHz with timings of 5,5,5,18 tRFC of 52 and a Command Rate of 2T. This seems to broadly equate to JEDEC#2 running at 1.8v

I've not the stomach to start playing around with it again at the mo so I'll just enjoy using 8GB for a couple a weeks before the itch to OC needs to be scratched again.

When I swapped the modules over between the slots, the BIOS completely reset itself to default settings and it was then (in desperation) I discovered it would now work. Let's hope it continues to start reliably.

Thanks to RAM GUY and TriNitro for your suggestions.

Epilogue... all is rarely what it seems at first...

Chuffed with the success of getting it working I carefully fitted the fans back onto the dominator modules and refitted the panel onto the side of the PC, but upon startup the old problem had re-emerged!

I now have it all reassembled and the PC back in position but I believe the real problem was DIMM slot A2. As the scientific approach of wiggling the DIMM module whilst in situ with the PC powered-down, seems to allow the fault to appear and disappear upon subsequent restart. I guess that refitting the fans caused enough movement to spoil my initial joyful moment.

When I used Memtest86+ I inserted the individual modules into slots DIMM A1 and DIMM B2, therefore I detected no errors. I did manage to test all 8GB together without errors so I believe the fault to be mechanical rather than electronic.

The PC won't be disassembled very often (I hope) except for an annual clean so I'll just need to remember that I have a dodgy connection (perhaps a dry joint on the motherboard?).

The good news is that the 8GB now seems to be now working happily at 1066MHz at 2.1v and 5,5,5,15 2T (without any NB voltage increase) but I'll keep a watchful eye over the next few weeks.

Thanks again for your support. I'll update this thread if there is any further news.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's been 3 weeks since my last post, and here's what the current status is...

Forget trying to put the side back on the PC (it's guaranteed to make the PC fail to boot...ever), or the fans back on the memory modules. As long as I leave the PC in this semi-disassembled state, when I first switch-on the PC in the morning it'll get stuck at the DET RAM in the BIOS startup. Leave it for at least half-an-hour like this, to warm up, and then press the reset switch and hey presto everything works as it should.

The MB support says try another set of RAM modules...anyone got 8GB of non-Corsair RAM in four modules they are willing to lend me?

All settings are BIOS defaults as changing them makes no difference. Of course I could just run on 6GB at 1066Mhz and everything would be good too, and I could reassemble the PC!

Anyone any more ideas? - I can't see the MB manufacturer accepting this as a faulty MB issue.

Ram Guy, I've tried...

I dutifully followed the advice mentioned in other threads, setting: DRAM Freq to 800Mhz (I also have tried 667Mhz); DRAM Voltage at 2.1v; North Bridge Voltage +0.2v to 1.45v; DRAM Timing to 5,5,5,15 and Write Recovery Time to 5. The DRAM Command Rate I've switched between 1N and 2N with 2N seeming to be more successful. All other BIOS settings are at default.

6GB works great (asynchronously) but adding the last 2GB module causes the BIOS to freeze with the poster saying "DET RAM".

have I missed something?

• 3 months later...

Hi RAM GUY,

Last night my PC threw-up a BSOD and subsequently refused to boot into Windows 7.

Ran Memtest 86+ v2.11 on each of the 3 memory modules individually, and one of them just streams tonnes of errors. Is there anything else I need to do before using the RMA? - I bought this matched pair (v2.1) in early September 2009. The older v1.1 matched pair seem to be soldiering-on just fine (bought October 2008).

Re your last reply, when I spoke to the MB helpdesk, they said it sounded like a memory module issue but would look at the MB for me, for a price if not found to be faulty. The memory wasn't on their QVL. I couldn't afford to take the risk either in cost or downtime, so continued to use 6GB quite happily and upgraded another PC of mine to 2GB instead, with the 4th memory module.

To me, from my experince, the randomness of said errors (esspecially the no boot first thing in the morning but fine later thing) and the now dead memory module tell me that either the memory controller or a speicific DIMM slot is shot. I had a striker that would do random no posts and other spuratic problems in windows yet memtest would pass. Then one day it would get worse and one the modules would no longer pass memtest. I had to RMA that board 3 times to find one that didn't do this.

I have the maximus formula (very similar board) and have it running 8GB (4x2 modules) at 1066Mhz CAS5 with no problems. Other then for some reason if I cut the power to the board entirely it will fail to do anything but then hold the power buton down to shut it off and turn it back on it works fine until the next time I cut power completely (i.e. normal shut dows and startups work fine).

• Corsair Employees

Bun-Bun, try replacing the C-Mos Battery and see if that solves that issue.

youngcj3,

We can try replacing the modules but I suspect it may be some other problem from what you have posted.

Let's get them both replaced. Please follow the link in my signature “I think I have a bad part!” and we will be happy to replace them or it!

Archived