Corsair Community

H50 Use Thermal Paste?

thm655321

• Corsair Employees
It would not be a good idea to have both, ideally you want a thin layer which bridges any imperfections in the flatness of the CPU and the heat sink. The idea is to have maximum contact between the two in order to transfer as much heat as possible. If there is too much paste you will lose efficiency.

Thanks. A follow-up question, what if you applied Arctic Silver 5 in addition to the H50's thermal pad? Would that be (a) overkill, (b) negative or © a "couldn't hurt" scenario?

big negative, too much TIM is a not a good thing. And they might not be compatible.

• 3 weeks later...

There probably isn't a "huge" difference. Most people have a paste that they prefer so they will just use that. I used the pad at first but then changed CPUs two days later and had to clean it and use my own paste.

I say try out the pad and if you aren't satisfied then try your own paste.

I bought some Arctic Cooling MX-3 thermal paste as I didn't know it came with a pad, I'm not entirely sure which I should use now. I don't anything to wipe the pad off at the moment, so I might use it meantime as you have suggested.

its not hard to take off. u can wipe it off with a lint free disposable cloth. i would recommend cleaning off the plate with something like 98% isopropal (spellcheck much lol)alcohol and a cotton swab after you get the bulk of it off to ensure you get all the old paste off. i just used mx-3 when i installed my h50. ive never trusted stock paste. at least you can be sure of what it is when you apply it yourself.

• 2 weeks later...
one thing I found.. a couple of days after my first install.. went back and checked the screws and found that 3 were a bit loose and one was very loose. It dropped my temps very nicely when I tightened them back up.

Hmm... that's interesting. I don't think I have gone back to check the tightness of the screws. I think I'll do that in a few minutes. :D:

Archived