Corsair Community

Problem with new system!!!

barry_kari

I recently upgraded my system to the following specs with new equiptment Gigabyte K8VT800 motherboard AMD64 3400+ CPU 2 x Corsair Value memory PC3200 512MB Dimms (VS1GBKIT400) 1 x Samsung Spinpoint SATA 120 GB hard Disk 1 x MSI DVD-rw optical drive Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 Graphics card jeantech 500w psu also old parts used - old floppy drive, old case. Here's my problem. I setup the computer OK, initailised the hardware OK. Installed windows on the new disk OK, ran windows OK, could start up shut down PC ok etc. All hardware appeared to be functioning perfectly. After three days, whilst in windows, and out of the blue with no warning, the mouse/keyboard stopped working, so I rebooted the machine. On immediate reboot, the POST Screen only got as far as the memory test, then the system hung. Screen still says "Press ESC to skip memory test" and "press DEL to enter setup". I had to reboot again. The same thing happened again. I powered off and left the system for 10 minutes, and returned. This time on startup, the POST got all the way through, past memory test and through IDE disk detection, all the way to starting to load windows. Near the end of loading windows, the system hung again! So again I had to reboot immediately to continue. On reboot behaviour reverted to getting stuck at memory test again. And again. And again. In conclusion, my system worked fine for three days. After that time, I can only get past memory test on start-up if I leave the machine cold for a few minutes first, else I get stuck at memory test. If I do get past memory test, the machine hangs in loading or installing windows. Could there be a problem between my memory and the motherboard compatibility??? Any support would be most gratefully accepted!

Hello? Is there anybody there? Or have I just got everyone stumped??? 35 views, 0 replies?!? Anyway, for anyone interested who can help me...I have made (some) progress, but still need help/guidance I Tried out all of the 6 different permutations of memory using my two pc3200 sticks, each on their own , in each of the three memory slots. System hung at memory test each time! I tried using a single PC2100 dimm (instead of my two pc3200 dimms) in the memory. I wasnt sure if this dimm was working anyway, but i thought I'd try it anyway. I got only as far as before - POST reported the memory qty correctly and then hung. Drat! So i reinserted the two pc3200 dimms instead. However, this time I put them back in together in different slots (2 and 3 instead of 1 and 2). Bingo! the system passes post each time now!!! The down side of this is now when I try to load either windows or windows setup (using either my current hard disk or another hard disk that i know works), I get a blue screen message about memory problems, and I get no further!!! So what I can I infer from this? - 1 memory dimm alone doesnt work at all - 2 memory dimms (inserted into the correct slots) gets past post, but the system fails further on I still cant really tell which bit of hardware is at fault... If any knows that my memory is just plain incomaptible for my system, please let me know, so that I can put myself out of my misery early! many thanks in advance Recap: Gigabyte K8VT800 motherboard AMD64 3400+ CPU 2 x Corsair Value memory PC3200 512MB Dimms (VS1GBKIT400) 1 x Samsung Spinpoint SATA 120 GB hard Disk 1 x MSI DVD-rw optical drive Nvidia GeForce FX 5600 Graphics card jeantech 500w psu

First off, no, that memory is not incompatable with your mainboard. Or, in another way, that memory should work with your setup! You said you got the same problems even with a different stick of memory? Do you have a nice friend who's willing to let you test your Corsair modules in their computer? Try them one at a time and together and run [url=www.memtest86.com]Memtest86[/url] if the have a 32-bit platform or [url=www.memtest.org]Memtest86+[/url] if they have a 64-bit platform. BTW, in your BIOS, what are your memory settings? Can you even get to BIOS by skipping the memory test? Unfortunately, I'm thinking you have a malfunctioning mainboard since you tried so many permutations and even another memory module, but test those modules just to double-check. PLUR CK

Hi >>that memory should work with your setup! Thanks Candykid - that's the main thing I was trying to find out I thought it should because the system ran fine for 3 days before I got any problems. I shall try and take my memory to test in another machine at work (who I borrowed the PC2100 memory from) I gave the two sticks together a go with memtest 86+. After one pass of all basic tests it said zero errors. Should I try this with 1 stick only? Part of my problem is I cant get past post with just 1 stick. I did however notice that on the memtest screen by settings it said "RAM : 100Mhz (DDR201) /CAS:2.5-2-2-6 /single channel 64 bits" Shouldnt My memory say DDR400, as it is PC3200 memory? Unfortunately it's difficult to say anything for sure about that other stick i tried as it was suspected faulty anyway. Thanks

Hi Candykid Apologies for the double posting confusion - I posted generally in houseofhelp for general guidance with my problem ( as I didnt know it's cause) and I posted in the RAMGUY forum for specific guidance related to my memory type As you mentioned in the other forum entry... >>>>Shouldnt My memory say DDR400, as it is PC3200 memory? >>Yes it should, and in your BIOS I think it should be set at 1:1 or 2:1, >>whatever results in a 200MHz frequency. >>Also, your timings should be 2.5-3-3-8, not 2.5-2-2-6 OK I have entered my BIOS and pressed CTRL+f1 to get the advanced chipset features (not that the mobo manual tells you you can do this!). I have altered the "DDR timing" setting from "Auto" to "Manual". I then changed the "Max mem clock speed" from "100Mhz" to "200Mhz". I then change the "Min RAS Active time" from "6" to "8", "Row Precharge Time" from "2" to "3", "Write recovery time" from "2" to "3" I couldnt find anything to change from "1:1" to "2:1" Anyway, I then pressed F10 to save and restart. Now I get absolutely nothing, not even graphics. I have reset the cmos, so that I can now get back to the BIOS setup. Did I do something wrong? Many thanks for your continuing assistance Regards Barry_kari

• Corsair Employees
Barry, Please just try and reset the bios and test the modules with the default settings one at a time with [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] and lets make sure one is not failing!

Hi Ramguy I have run memtest on both modules, with a reset bios (default settings) - no errors I have also tried each module alone, in each of the 3 slots. Each time I do this, I get stuck on the memory test in POST. So I cant even boot with just one stick, and thus cant run memtest because I cant boot. any thoughts would be very much appreciated thanks

• Corsair Employees
First thing, update the bios to the latest version, then set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and use slots 1-3 and set the timings manually to these settings! DRAM Timing (overrides SPD values): Manual System Performance: Normal SDRAM Bank cycle time (or tRAS): 8 SDRAM Bank Interleave: 4 SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 3 SDRAM RAS-to-CAS Delay (tRCD): 3 SDRAM CAS Latency: 2.5

Hi All As an update, I have not tried the ram settings suggested by RamGuy, since I have now spoken to Gigabyte support about my motherboard. They have acknowleged there is a problem, that they have been able to reproduce themseleves, and are in the process of looking into the cause. So it may not be the corsair memory, or anyother brand of memory, at all. I am sending my mobo back for replacement, as per their instructions. When my new mobo arrives, I'll post back here so that other people know the score with this problem. Thanks to everyone Barry_kari

• 4 weeks later...
Hi anyone As a final part of this story, I'm posting back again. I returned the Gigabyte mobo, and it was indeed faulty. So I got a replacement ASUS K8V board instead, and this works great. The corsair memory causes no problems. Thanks to everyone for the help Barry_Kari

Archived