Corsair Community

BSOD and memtest memory errors - 2 pairs of TWIN2X4096-8500C5D

rubendn

I originally had 1 pair and purchased another pair of the same memory.

I started having weired errors happening some times with services crashing and a BSOD every once in a while. The 2nd pair was RMA'd a little while back but the problems have continued.

I have tried all the voltage and other settings suggested by support and this forum to no avail.

What I have discovered:

When an error happens and I reboot (without powering down) from CD into memtest, I can see a bunch of errors, but if I power down then boot into memtest there are no errors. Same thing after a BSOD.

After the power down the computer will be stable for a while (sometimes even a whole day) before the problems start happening again.

If I take out either pair, the system has no problems running on 4 GB of memory.

Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help.

Ruben

Sorry for replying to my thread. After posting to this thread, I went and read more on pages 2-3 of this category in the forum and have noticed at least 5-10 other people describing very similar problems with the DDR2 8500 Dominator.

Will buying the 2 pairs at different times cause this? I've already RMA'd one pair as I mentioned above. Will RMA'ing all 4 sticks solve my problem or do I have to buy a different brand of memory to have a stable computer?

Thanks for the response.

I am currently running it at 800 Mhz and changed the memory voltage from the default (1.8) to 2.1. I've tried all the suggested settings with the different voltages for the memory, spp.

All four sticks are CM2x2048-8500 C5D. The two sticks in the Blue memory slots are matched as are the two sticks in the Green slots.

The only way there are no problems if only running 2 sticks.

It seems that it runs fine for awhile but then it starts to have issues.

Anyone have any other suggestions? I think I've tried every possible voltage, timing bios configurations and the system is stable for a little while but then it goes beserk.

It is 100% stable with either pair of sticks in the system by themselves so I don't think it is faulty RAM.

A power-off and restart produces no errors in memtest with all 4 sticks in, but after getting some errors in Windows and a restart (without powering down) there are all sorts of errors in memtest.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 or DDR800 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived