Corsair Community

X256 Died after 4 days

Tamvegas

After working perfectly for 4 days, the X256 simply disappeared from the system and bios. Fresh install of Win 7 RC (let the OS format during install) and got all my games and apps in and working fine. Went to hit a key to bring the monitors back up and the system froze. Rebooted and the drive wasn't showing in startup or the bios.

Pulled the drive and the system started fine from the raid installation.

Put the drive into my portable 2.5" esata case and plugged into my notebook. Wasn't seen at all. Drive management didn't show it either.

Is this becoming common? I ask because the only other drive sold so far at Newegg reports that it died after 24 hours.

Am RMA-ing it to Newegg (unless Corsair would like to pay for the shipping;):), but I don't want a recurring problem.

Got it because I got a P256 for my notebook two weeks ago and am so pleased with it that I had to re-do my gaming rig.

• Corsair Employees

I do not have any information to suggest there is a problem with X series drives ATM, but I can tell you we have sold a few thousand drives so I would expect to see a few fail.

Can you look on the label of the drive and please give me the lot code and drive part number that is on the label or if you can post a Pic of the label that would be helpful?

• 2 weeks later...

Yup, it's true. Got my replacement X256 from NewEgg last Tuesday (9/15/09) and everything went back in perfectly. Faster than the previous one and installed the rest of my games etc.

Tonight (Sunday night 9/20/09) came home from work and Win 7 is locked up. Restart and the drive is gone. Again. Doesn't appear in the bios either, again. Very dissappointed, but I know that Newegg buys large first run lots and there can be problems.

For the Ram Guy, here's the new drive's info. Please notice that the lot # is the same as the first and the serial # is only a few units later (141).

Replacement Drive Info:

Part Number - CMFSSD-256D1

Lot #, Ser # (beneath the bar code) -

09320108-10046009

I'll try another replacement if you can let me know what lot number you're on now and give some assurance that things are getting better as far as dependability. Otherwise I want either a P256 or a refund.

Yup, it's true. Got my replacement X256 from NewEgg last Tuesday (9/15/09) and everything went back in perfectly. Faster than the previous one and installed the rest of my games etc.

Tonight (Sunday night 9/20/09) came home from work and Win 7 is locked up. Restart and the drive is gone. Again. Doesn't appear in the bios either, again. Very dissappointed, but I know that Newegg buys large first run lots and there can be problems.

For the Ram Guy, here's the new drive's info. Please notice that the lot # is the same as the first and the serial # is only a few units later (141).

Replacement Drive Info:

Part Number - CMFSSD-256D1

Lot #, Ser # (beneath the bar code) -

09320108-10046009

I'll try another replacement if you can let me know what lot number you're on now and give some assurance that things are getting better as far as dependability. Otherwise I want either a P256 or a refund.

Based on the comments at Newegg for the X256, I have a sinking suspicion they may have received a significantly higher proportion of bad drives than are in circulation. I decided to RMA directly through Corsair for that reason... I'm hoping to avoid a second bad drive.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Thanks to the Ram Guy for all the help today. The drive is on it's way to Corsair. Unfortunately, the UPS store nearest me wouldn't allow billing to the Corsair account, so I had to pay the shipping. Their fault not Corsair's.

You should have it by Wed latest (if not Tuesday).

• Corsair Employees

Thank you so much and please send me an email with a copy of the invoice from UPS and I will see what I can do to get it reimbursed but no promise OK. Just I will try. I think I gave you my email if not send it to ramguy@corsairmemory.coma and put ATT Ram Guy in the subject line.

Jet_Black

What was your RMA number please I want to have the drive pulled so we can test it here?

Thank you so much and please send me an email with a copy of the invoice from UPS and I will see what I can do to get it reimbursed but no promise OK. Just I will try. I think I gave you my email if not send it to ramguy@corsairmemory.coma and put ATT Ram Guy in the subject line.

Jet_Black

What was your RMA number please I want to have the drive pulled so we can test it here?

RMA#1124013

I got a notice that it was delivered to you guys today. Five day waiting period still, though... not that I mean to complain, but I purchased the drive on August 31st and I still haven't had a chance to even use it :p

• Corsair Employees

I do understand and I feel your pain, but lets focus on the problem and getting that resolved please. And if you have an issue with the time or the lack of use I would encourage you to take that up with our customer service.

You can call them at 510-657-8747 or 888-222-4346 Ext "3" or by email at RMAservice@corsairmemory.com

Thank you for taking the time to give me the RMA information that will help speed the process up.

• 2 weeks later...
I had the same problem with my X Series 64GB, was only functioning for 6 hours then suddenly Windows 7 locked up I forced the laptop to reboot, and the drive would not show in the BIOS. I sent it back to the company I purchased it from who verified it has physically died completely. I upgrade to the x128 (paid the difference) and so far its going fine.

• 4 weeks later...

Update.

After waiting for a month to get this issue resolved (many thanks to the Ram Guy for always prompt communication), I finally got my X256 back on Friday.

Installed Win 7 full version in 10 minutes. 90% done with installing everything in under 2 hours. Running great.

But then.....

Left it up and running while I went to work. Came back 8 hours later to a BSOD.

Win 7 tried to repair the startup (locked at logo splash screen for 15 minutes). I let the repair utility run fo 30 minutes. No luck.

Rebooted into my raid array and it froze at the logo as well.

Rebooted again, checked and the bios still identified the X256. But nothing.

Removed the X256 from the system and the raid array booted perfectly.

*Edit update*

I put the drive in an external tonight and it came up instantly. I think/hope the problem came when I changed sata connectors after the install to make the X256 drive 0. It was on drive 1 for the install.

Right now it seems to be working perfectly. Going to leave it on all night again and see what it's like in the morning.

Archived