Corsair Community

H50 cooper bottom not flat?

ToolDie

I had some odd temps with this cooler. Idle would be 40c and load temps would be 50c stock settings on a amd 940. I have all the hook ups plugged in fine and have 2 fans push pull on the radiator. I decided to flat check the copper part of the cooler and found it quite a bit on the convex side. I was wondering if this is the way it's supposed to be or should it be revelatory flat like other HSF? I held a straight flat metal scale and it rocked back and forth from the middle being the highest point.

I had some odd temps with this cooler. Idle would be 40c and load temps would be 50c stock settings on a amd 940. I have all the hook ups plugged in fine and have 2 fans push pull on the radiator. I decided to flat check the copper part of the cooler and found it quite a bit on the convex side. I was wondering if this is the way it's supposed to be or should it be revelatory flat like other HSF? I held a straight flat metal scale and it rocked back and forth from the middle being the highest point.

Had the same problem with 1 of the 2 coolers I have. I noticed it when I removed it and the thermal grease was not uniformly spread. I ended up lapping the bottom with a glass plate and some 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper. Works much better. The other cooler was good.

Thanx. I was thinking of doing this but The cooper plate looks to be about 1mm thick and to get this thing flat I bet I would have to take way almost half that. I'm going to tear it apart tomorrow and recheck that again. I just threw some AS5 on it for now seems to be holding at same temps

Thanx. I was thinking of doing this but The cooper plate looks to be about 1mm thick and to get this thing flat I bet I would have to take way almost half that. I'm going to tear it apart tomorrow and recheck that again. I just threw some AS5 on it for now seems to be holding at same temps

Mine wasn't that bad. You may want to consider an RMA when they get a better supply.

It was off by .3mm from middle to ends. I was able to take a flat oil honing stone and make the bottom flatter. My temps are down and working ok. I couldn't make it 100% flat but with in .1mm. My temps for a AMD 940 OC to 3.78ghz is idle 38c and under load from 3dmark vantage is about 52c. I have the v core @ 1.55 to keep the 3.78ghz stable. Thanks curlysir for getting my mind going to hone the bottom of the cooler.

Had the same problem with 1 of the 2 coolers I have. I noticed it when I removed it and the thermal grease was not uniformly spread. I ended up lapping the bottom with a glass plate and some 1500 and 2000 grit sandpaper. Works much better. The other cooler was good.

just curious. ive never lapped a cooler before. how exactly did you do this, and what kind of temp differences did you achieve?

• Corsair Employees
I have not seen one that is as bad as you describe. It sounds like you may have resolved the problem by lapping the heatsink, but if at anytime you would like to have it replaced, please let us know and we can set that up.

just curious. ive never lapped a cooler before. how exactly did you do this, and what kind of temp differences did you achieve?

By no means an expert, but I got a piece of glass from a small picture (make sure it is flat) and laid the sandpaper on it on a desktop and moved the bottom of the cooler with light pressure over the sandpaper until I had a uniform finish. It is real evident where the low and high spots are when you start the sanding. I started with 1500 and went to 2000 grit. I did not follow up with polishing compound like some do but I did see about a 2 degree C drop and the Thermal Material has a uniform contact patten. Do a search for lapping HSF and you will get all the info you every wanted to read on the subject.

I have not seen one that is as bad as you describe. It sounds like you may have resolved the problem by lapping the heatsink, but if at anytime you would like to have it replaced, please let us know and we can set that up.

I was still thinking of returning. The bottom is flat in the long direction but in the width it's still kinda convex. I didn't want to take that much more off becuase of the thickness of the copper heat transfer surface.

I do have a question: Is the temps 40c idle and 52c under load from 3dmark vantage bench sound like what this cooler should do? My room temp is about is 27c I'm running a AMD 940 o/c to 3.78 with vcore @ 1.55. I have 2 fans push pull on the radiator. I am thinking this is a hard question to answer. The only reason asking is that I flat bottom my other HSF because it was off too and it now performs close to this H50. I have tried a couple of different thermal compounds too not really any differences. I love the H50 in size and way it looks.

Archived