Corsair Community

MSI X48 Platinum and two kits CM3X2048-1333C9DHX

stargatesg1

I bought this motherboard a while back with just one kit of the model mentioned above. Everything worked perfectly.

Recently I decided to add another 4 gigs because I work Virtual Machines and stuff like that. I tried my best to find the exact model and I did. I installed them on the mobo and when booting into Windows it says bootloader image incorrect. Another time is saying checksum incorrect or sometimes the POST doesn't appear. This cases appeared when I switched the memories in the slots.

Upon closer reflection I found that my original kit is version 8.1 and the newer ones are ver. 5.1 however the model is the same. I tried all combinations possible but I still couldn't boot into Windows.

If I use just the new kit then it works. Same if I use the old one. If I use both it doesn't boot. I even tried to add just one card to at least get 6 gigs but no luck.

Since I am not using my computer for gaming and stuff like that I didn't tempered with the "Cell Menu" of the BIOS that deals with chipset, memory timings and everything. Obviously the default settings do not work (I also reseted the BIOS). I then tried to configure the timings manually but there are many other settings besides the classical "9-9-9-24" and they DO NOT have any default setting.

The problem is not related to the new kit because a) they work great alone and b) I already replaced them at the store with new ones from the exact model.

Can someone with a MSI X48 Platinum can give my some pointers on how to exactly manually configure the BIOS in order to get all of my 8 gigs of RAM? I am not interested in the fastest performance - I am only interested in getting all the RAM working and system stability.

Thank you for your time.

I am sorry, but I don't understand. Two 4 GB kits virtually identical can't run at 1333 MHZ on a dual channel motherboard? I tried different settings such as 1:1.20 or 1.30 but they don't work. Only 1:1.00 works.

There should have been a label in big black letters telling people that if you want to double your memory you will cut your performance in half.

I never saw a warning such as this neither in the motherboard manual nor on the Corsair kit package.

No one can guarantee what hasn't been tested. It may run just fine, but no promises. Ultimately you're mixing ICs and putting a large load on the memory controller. The MC usually doesn't run at peak speed under either of those conditions.

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR1066 and set the memory Voltage to 1.7-1.90 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Archived