Corsair Community

CM2X2048-8500C5DF + TPower I45

MrBadidea

I've been having some weird issues, stuff that I've never even heard happening before, so I figured I'd come poke some people who might know before I go scattershoting gear back for RMAs...

I built a machine in April of this year using:

Biostar TPower I45 (on recommendation from a friend)

TWIN2X4096-8500C5DF - running DDR800

Intel E8400

Sapphire 4890 OC

Asus Xonar D2X

Tagan TG800-BZ

Built it all up, stuck memtest on for a few hours, everything was peachy...

It was running perfectly fine until the end of July. Handily, the day before I'm going to a LAN. At the time I assumed it was Vista just flaking out (PFN_LIST_CORRUPT BSODs etc) as I'd just installed something that I figured could have been the cause. I decided to slap on Windows 7 as I couldn't find my Vista box, and I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

Windows 7 lasted until about a week ago, when it started having the same kind of issues (various BSODs). Then it started having generic memory errors as well.

Long story short; intermittent memory errors. The machine can work fine for potentially weeks at a time, then it'll just crap out; and because of that I'm hesitent to blame anything at this point for causing the problem as I've not been able to replicate it after swapping hardware around. I don't know if I've swapped something out and got it working or if its just decided not to error out on me.

So far, I've had the memory in another machine (iirc it was a 780i based rig - TWIN2X2048-8500C5D) running memtest for about 14 hours; no errors. I had the memory from that machine running in the one having issues for the same amount of time; no errors.

I've split the memory from the problem machine and tested 1 module at a time and had this:

Stick 1: errors

Stick 2: passed for 24 hours

Stick 1: passed for 24 hours

Stick 2: errors

I've heard of this board possibly having problems with 4Gb of memory, but considering it's erroring with just 1 of the 2Gb modules I doubt that would be the cause. I updated the BIOS anyway but it didn't change anything.

The errors themselves move around memory addresses. They'll be consistent for one test (ie they'll all be in the 3000-3150Mb range), but a reboot later and they'll have moved to 1500-1600Mb range.

The one thing I HAVE found consistent is the error bits reported in memtest. They're almost always exactly the same (vast majority yesterday were 0000ff00 with the occasional 00008a00 or some such)... until I reseat the modules, and then they'll change too.

Conversations with the friend that recommended the board, and my own personal train of thought, is currently blaming the board. Although exactly how or why is another question entirely; I'd be likely to blame either the memory controller or possibly bad traces on the board/dry joints... or possibly both.

I want to try and nail this down to be as specific as possible before I even try to RMA anything though. With the nature of how intermittent the problem is I want to be able to walk into the returns department of the place I bought this all from and give them specific, no-bs details about whats going on.

• Corsair Employees
I would assume that you might be having issues with the board as well. Are you able to test the memory sticks in another machine and see what the results are? This would help clarify if it could possibly be the memory.

Gave it over the weekend with the memory swapped over. No memtest errors with either computer after about 40 hours.

I had to go to a hardware retailer anyway on Saturday to build a new computer for somebody, and whilst I was there I picked up a new board for myself; Asus Maximums II Formula.

Lasted about 20 hours before I had a BSOD and I'm getting memory errors again.

• Corsair Employees

Any chance might possibly be the CPU? Any case if you like to replace the memory link will be below but still don't think it will be since it passed on another system.

Let's get them replaced, please use the On Line RMA Request Form and we will be happy to replace them. Be sure to check the box that says “I've already spoken to Technical Support and/or RAM Guy.”

Archived