Corsair Community

TWIN2X4096-8500C5D and Asus P5Q Pro Turbo

telesamad

System worked fine for couple of days, even though the BIOS was picking the RAM on 800 MHz FSB. Manually changing the FSB speed from BIOS to 1066 appeared to be working without any further tweaking.

In about 2 days, the system would not post - no beep, total blank. But it was more of an intermittent at the beginning. As hours went by, it started failing in a regular fashion.

I discovered the system posts with only one stick, as soon as I put the second stick, the system wont post. After identifying the drama queen stick, I ran memtest on both, individually. The good one passes without a hitch from 667 till 1066 fsb (set manually from bios each time before running the test) and obviously the auto (which is 800).

The stick that acted up, now would not even post. initially i got the post couple of times but would freeze at the memtest screen.

:confused:Seems like it is a RAM problem - what do you think?

(My reasong is: I took my old DDR2 memory sticks from my Dell and put them in my new build - they are working fine with 800 Mhz FSB - so the motherboard does not have issues accepting modules on each of its 4 banks at 800 Mhz for sure)

I am now running my PC with 1 2GB module and here are the CPU-Z results:

DRAM Freq: 525.5 MHz

FSB:DRAM: 5:8

CAS Lat: 6

RAS to CAS Delay: 6

RAS Precharge: 6

Cycle Time: 19

RowRefresh Cycle Time: 52

Command Rate: 2T

:confused:Since I am not overclocking (have no intention either) my question is why this good module is running at 1066 with 6-6-6-19 instead of 5-5-5-15?

:idea:Please provide info and suggestions.

:(:I simply have bad luck on my PC - it came with a banged up case thanks to UPS, DOA motherboard (which i got replaced) and now memory dying - its been a month i bought the parts and could not use the system even for a whole day :(

I did try the 2.1 but no go with the bad module. I am looking for a link posted by RAM GUY which had all the settings for different models of RAM - if any one knows that page - then i can go for a full tweak!

Thanks for your editing :)

Nevermind - I found the link :)

There is no such thing as Dual Channel memory, as this is a property of the memory controller in how it handles memory. This is why you can place memory in different slot configurations on a motherboard and it will register as single or dual channel.

Thanks for the info...I consulted the ASUS Manual and saw that it is capable of running in dual channel when 2 sticks are present - well i only have 1 working so it is running it on single channel - so that answers my question.

I am attaching some images for my BIOS settings - can anyone suggest the right settings for this RAM please?

Also, note it is set for 1066 FSB manually, (when auto, it recognizes the sticks at 800 fsb) and voltage has been set to 2.1 according to instructions. Yet the 1st timing is not suggested 5-5-5-15, rather 6-6-6-19. Any idea? Any other change suggested?

I truly appreciate your help, folks.

BIOS1

http://www.kean.edu/~mrahman/corsair-pics/bios2.jpg

BIOS2

http://www.kean.edu/~mrahman/corsair-pics/bios3.jpg

BIOS3

http://www.kean.edu/~mrahman/corsair-pics/bios4.jpg

BIOS4

http://www.kean.edu/~mrahman/corsair-pics/bios1.jpg

Manually Set the settings.

Changed DRAM Freq to 1066, and voltage to 2.10

Results of CPU-Z:

DRAM Freq: 525.6 Mhz

FSB: DRAM 5:8

CAS Latency: 6.0

RAS to CAS Delay: 6.0

RAS precharge: 6

Cycle Time: 19

Row Refresh Time: 52

Command Rate: 2T

Is this normal? System is stable though...except 1 stick is bad...:) Got an RMA number today...

Thanks, RAM GUY...for your posts.

Here is a screenshot of my CPU-Z.

Note:

I borrowed 2 sticks (2 GB each, same ram i am using) from my friend and added one of my sticks - so I am running 6 GB with 3 sticks.

From the POST messages, I see the system is reading 1066 MHZ for the RAMs. In the BIOS, the voltage is set to 2.1 and frequency is forced at 1066. If all left to default, POST shows these rams at 800 MHz.

(The system has been running stable ever since I detected the faulty unit. I am getting a replacement. )

Now I see the FAN went bad - it revs up to 6000 rpm and stops spinning - any idea?

Also...I added another (SPD) screenshot from CUPZ ... may be this will be of help.

Thanks

CPU-Z.jpg.b4e2229dcd184146c05942ec3eba958f.jpg

spd.jpg.670ff0a9dde7fe853eef61d7a56ee9fb.jpg

• 6 months later...
I have TWIN2X4096-8500C5D, four modules installed in Asus P5Q Pro Turbo. My real DRAM frequency is 400MHz and when I configure right full speed values, system freeze. The problem is, that Asus P5Q mainboards are not compatible if more than one module is installed. This is written in mainboard manual RAM compatibility tables! So, for full speed support we must change MB or RAM. I don't see any other way... If somebody can do miracles, tell me :-)

Miracle?

Maybe.....

AI clock twister= lighter

AI Transaction booster= start at 9, if stable try 8, then very maybe 7 (but lower is highly unlikely). You can set this from windows using memset, it's called performance level there, no need to reboot, use prime95 small fft to test.

Good luck

Vincent

• 2 months later...
  • 11 months later...
The problem is, that Asus P5Q mainboards are not compatible if more than one module is installed. This is written in mainboard manual RAM compatibility tables! So, for full speed support we must change MB or RAM. I don't see any other way... If somebody can do miracles, tell me :-)

Where is this stated? I could find no such information in the MB manual. Can you give me a page # or section of where you found this?

The default memory ooperation frequency is dependent on it's SPD. Undder the default state, some memory modules for overclocking may operate at a lower frequency than the vendor marked value. To operate at the vendor marked or at higher frequency see sec3.4 AI Tweaker menu for manual adjustment.

A): Supports one module inserted into either slot as single channel memory configuration

B): Supports one pair of modules inserted into either the yellow slots or the black slots for dual-channel operation

C): Supports 4 modules inserted into both the yellow and black slots as two pairs of dual channel memory configuration.

Taken direct from the manual :)

Archived