Corsair Community

Compatibility question

sexyjeep

You should be able to run it at stock 1.65v on the 790i although you may need to tune the 790i memory controller voltage. The 1.65v rating is due to the memory voltage limit suggested by Intel for Core i7 memory. In this case, the memory is capable of running higher voltages but, we state a limit of 1.65v to comply with the Intel standard. This limit is different on socket 775 boards for Core 2 CPUs.

I'm confused by francomg's thread. Please help me sort this out so I can make a decision on my own purchase.

The memory kit that francomg is talking about - the "TR3X3G1600C8D", is just an extesion of the "CMD4GX3M2A1600C8" which is a 4GB (2 X 2GB) kit. The only difference between the two kits is that one has 3 sticks in it at 2GB each while the other only includes 2 @GB sticks. All other specs are identical. So, here is where I am confused - On the corsair website under the memory finder section I have punched in the motherboard I am thinking of purchasing "XFX MBN790IUL9 LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 790i Ultra SLI" which is the same class of motherboard that francomg is using (790i), and the "featured memory" for this board is the "TW3X4G1600C9DHX". BUT.... right below it is a link that takes you down further on the page that gives you a COMPLETE LIST of compatible modules for the XFX MBN790iUL9 motherboard. Well, in that list is the "CMD4GX3M2A1600C8", which are the same sticks that come in the kit that francomg is talking about in this post - the "TR3X3G1600C8D". Yet, it was said in this thread that these sticks are not tested on 790i/LGA 775 motherboards. If that is so, then why would corsair be listing them in the "Complete list of compatible modules" for this XFX 790i Motherboard that I'm looking at buying? Any thoughts?

That was my main question about this thread. I'm asking about this because I'm going to be getting that XFX motherboard, an 8500 LGA 775 Intel Core Duo 2 Processor, and looking at purchasing the first reccomended module off of the corsair website which is the "TW3X4G1600C9DHX". The only thing stopping me from just getting that set is that it's Cas 9 and for the same price I could get the "CMD4GX3M2A1600C8", which is Cas 8. I'm trying to justify why buying the Cas 9 set would be more worth while than the Cas 8 - considering that the timing is not only better, but they are equally priced. The only problem I'm having about going with the Cas 8 kit is that it says it is for the i7 chips; that and look at what this whole thread has been all about since the beginning - will these Cas 8 sticks really work with a 790i/LGA 775 motherboard or not... Then you have the confusion with the corsair memory selector saying that these Cas 8 sticks ARE compatible with the 790i/LGA 775 motherboard. I guess the big question is - what is Corsair's definition of "compatibility".

Which one would you go with in my situation when considering the answer to my first question and what was given in the last paragraph above?

Thread split.

You're confusing yourself.

Francomg's thread was about two out of three sticks of a triple stick kit running in a dual channel motherboard. Because they're not tested like that, they cannot be officially guaranteed to work like that. Should they work fine? Yes.

His thread has NOTHING to do with 1600 MHz memory being listed in the configurator. The kits listed will work fine.

CMD4GX3M2A1600C8 is listed under DUAL CHANNEL Core i7 (8xx) series. This is a different memory controller architecture than the TRIPLE CHANNEL Core i7 (9xx) series.

In short, yes, CMD4GX3M2A1600C8 will work just fine in the XFX MB-N790-IUL9 (790i) motherboard.

• 1 month later...
I have another question that may stem off of this thread. Can you use dual channel memory on a triple channel board? Will it work ok? I have 8 gigs of DDR3 dual channel ram (TW3X4G1600C9D) and will be purchasing an i7 board with triple channel memory soon. I was hoping it would be possible to buy another set of two sticks in my current ram setup to completely fill my new triple channel board. I wasn't sure if it mattered or not, and I don't really want to spend the extra money on more ram :( .

Archived