Corsair Community

Shuttle ST61G4 and 1024-3200LLPT

jafruts

Hi guys! I've searched everywhere for compatibility info between Corsair TwinXMS Memory and the Shuttle ST61G4 case. Naturally, people wouldn't post much on the forums unless there were problems. I'd like to think that there are more working than non-working paired modules out there :) Can this high-end memory be maximized on this motherboard? Other posts note problems setting the memory at the recommended settings. Firmware updates from Shuttle may have fixed this, but I have found nothing that says so. Am I better off saving my money and going with something cheaper? Thanks for any help you can provide!

• Corsair Employees
I would suggest Twinx1024-3200 Non LL with these small form factor systems. You are welcome to try a more aggressive module. However, some just cannot run with tight timings. At worst if you do get out Low Latency modules you may have to set the timings to Cass 2-3-3-6 and I would set the Dim Voltage to 2.75 Volts and you should be good to go!

Thanks a lot Ram Guy! I am still waiting to hear back from Shuttle about their experiences with Corsair's LL memory. As much as possible I'd like to maximize the potential of this mini-pc for games and what-not, so the better the RAM, the happier I'll be! At any rate, I'll have a system up and running by next week. I'll run the memory tests and I will post whether the result was positive or negative. I'd appreciate any more feedback on this system if it comes up. Anyone else: if this combination worked for you, sound off! It would really help balance out the negative atmosphere of the compatibility forum ;)

• 2 weeks later...
All right... got the following system set up: Shuttle ST61G4 Corsair Twinx-1024 PC3200C2PT Pentium 4 3.2C WD 250GB SATA Hard drive 1. Settings not being saved. As reported by someone else in the forums, the system would NOT hold the memory timings at 2-3-3-6 (the memory's rated settings), but it let me keep the memory voltage at 2.7V, as recommended by Ram Guy. Booting from a USB floppy drive and flashing Shuttle's latest BIOS seems to have fixed the problem. I've had the settings reset on me once after the update, but I must have restarted my system over 20 times. It could have been my fault. Updating the BIOS (the latest version ends with a "Z") is ESSENTIAL to letting you set the memory timings. 2. Testing Before the BIOS update, with the voltage set at 2.7, Memtest86 reported no errors in 2 passes. After the BIOS update, with voltage at 2.7 and settings at 2-3-3-6, Memtest86 ran with NO ERRORS in over 10 passes. Perhaps this update will even allow others to use Corsair's low-latency memory. Someone take a risk! ;) Is the price difference worth it? You decide. 3. Extra note on the system This is not a memory issue, but anyone thinking of putting a high-end Shuttle system together should consider that Windows XP *REQUIRES* you to have a traditional floppy drive connected to the system to install the SATA drivers (which lets the system recognize a SATA hard drive). Be prepared to take apart an older desktop to get it done. There is NO WAY around this as far as I know. Simple solution: if you don't need RAID, go for a regular ATA drive. If anything else memory-related pops up, this forum will be the first to know.

Any other SFF fansites besides sudhian.com? Anyway... Following rigorous torture testing, I've managed to bring a few problems to the surface. If anyone is inclined to ask "why"? Hell, I wanna get what I paid for ;) Original settings: DDR Voltage = 2.7, CASS 2-3-3-6, spread spectrum=disabled, bios area cache=disabled 1. Game hangs When I began firing up the hardware-intense games (C&C Generals, HALO, Hitman Contracts, etc.), I started getting unexplained lockups or crashes. Sometimes the game just ends or i get sent back to Windows, sometimes the blue screen of death (in XP), sometimes just plain lockups. No game lockups with DDR Voltage and latency settings at "auto". Sure, I could just call it a night, but of course it would be a waste of money to leave it like that. 2. Settings issues After the abovementioned system crashes, the latency settings would SOMETIMES reset to "auto" with 3-4-3-8 (ugh!). I've had several resets to date, but I haven't been able to pinpoint a cause. It sometimes happened after memtest sessions. 3. Memtest After a couple of hours of intense gaming, i rebooted quickly and ran memtest and got a result of 40 errors on one pass. Trouble in paradise? Suspicions: 1. Bad mobo/power supply? The PC Health Status menu in the bios reports DDR voltage at 2.64-2.65 even if i had manually set at 2.7. When I set it to 2.6, the voltage reported is 2.55-2.56. When set at 2.8, the reported voltage is about 2.67-2.68, but still not even 2.7! Could this be a motherboard or power supply issue? Aren't voltages in BIOS supposed to be spot on, give or take 0.02-0.03 volts? Could the mobo not be allocating power properly? 2. Bad .... RAM??? I highly doubt this is a RAM problem... but it's still on my list of suspects. Is it possible for faulty ram to test okay at slower settings (I still have to try this with actual tests other than games) and mess up at higher settings? I was pretty confident setting those speeds because that's supposed to be the memory's rated speed. Possibly inconsequential factors: 1. Shared 128 MB with the onboard video card. 2. 64MB AGP aperture Thanks!

I have a shuttle AMD system at home for my GFs DVD playing (& Seti). it has a 2400+ in it (non barton) and 1 stick of my twinx 3200LL 512mb in it. ram is running Async at 385mhz 2-2-2-5 @ 2.5v. has been running like that for almost a year. best uptime was 45 days without reboot (seti 24/7). had to check the optical connection was plugged in correclty. never had a problem. this shuttle does NOT have any SATA ports. 1x10gb 2.5 IDE + 1x30gb 2.5 ide and a liteon DVD-ROM. Stuck a 120mm fan on the back of it though which helps with cooling. Gets hot down here during summer.

• Corsair Employees
jafruts, If possible, please test the modules in another system, as that would be an easy way to verify if its a memory problem or some other issue. If you like we will be happy to try and replace your modules under RMA. If so, please follow the link in my signature and we will be happy to replace them!

Archived