Corsair Community

Asus Crosshair III Formula Memory question

KMRMania

After reading the article of the 8GB benefit, I wanted to upgrade my system to an 8GB Dominator system.

So I had my eye on CMD4GX3M2B1600C8 for AM3 (2 of them + Fan)

Went to check the memory configuration and yes they are compatible but while I was at it I also noticed that CMD4GX3M2A1600C8 was also compatible (which on the site was listed for the Core i5)

So my question is are there any physical difference between both the AM3 and i5 memory or just marketing info. If no Difference will CMD8GX3M4A1600C8 kit work on AM3 as a 1 package instead of ordering 2 kits and end up being different versions.

Thank you in advance.

• Corsair Employees
They will be updated with new parts as they come out but the parts for Core I5 may have XMP Profiles why they are only listed for Intel. However, they can be used in an AMD platform just the settings may have to be set manually and with some AMD CPU' with all of the slots filled a slower speed may be required.

hmm... so if i understand correctly the 8GB kit for i5 will work in AM3 platform by might need a manual settings? while the 4 GB AM3 kit will be detected automatically by AOD?

saying that I am now confused whether its better to get 2 AMD 4GB kits or 1 8GB for i5 kit better for Crosshair III and 955

• Corsair Employees

For Your system if you buy two sets of modules this would apply, however with some AMD CPU's when they are fully loaded IE 4 modules installed even with a 8 Gig tested set that is rated at DDR1333 you may be forced to run them at DDR1066 because of the memory controller limitation in the CPU.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR1066 and set the memory Voltage to 1.7-1.90 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

I did some searching and I found this issue with AMD. Yet several tests show some people manage to run 4 slots 1600 memory for example the review provided by corsair 8GB vs 4GB 2 sets of GT were used with a AMD Phenom II 710 and Gigabyte board. How did you manage to tune that to use 4 slots? extra voltage? or does it depend more on luck?

http://www.techpowerup.com/img/09-02-12/60a.jpg

Archived