Corsair Community

Asus P5Q-E and Q2X8G6400C4DHX Black Screen Freeze, problem running EverQuest 2

pangore

So I've posted a thread at ASUS

http://vip.asus.com/forum/view.aspx?id=20090902035407312&board_id=1&model=P5Q-E&SLanguage=en-us

basically when I run EQ2 on Windows 7 64 bit I get a black screen and locked sound. After updating drivers etc..and no luck, nvidia forum post suggested EQ2 is VERY hard on RAM and CPU, and it might be a voltage, RAM issue.

As further data, WOW and AOC work fine, as does Windows 7 and never crash.

Here is what I've tried so far.

I downloaded and ran memtest (from http://www.memtest.org) and had no errors reported. Solid performance. so the next step was to remove Bank B of RAM (2 of the 4) and see what happens.

So...I pulled out 2 of the 4 sticks of RAM (using only A bank) and now I don't crash ever.

So..its either

1) MOBO has a problem

2) Corsair Ram has a problem (http://www.corsair.com/_datasheets/Q2X8G6400C4DHX.pdf)

3) EQ2 has a problem

4) or combination of 1, 2, or 3 it seems.

From here I've read on ASUS forums that running with both banks populated, users may need to up the voltage to the DDR.

I tried upping the voltage to 2.1 and 2.12 and still Black screen crash after a bit. I tried changing the timings to 4-4-4-12 and still crash.

One thing that really bothers me is on the ASUS AI page (where you tweak all the settings) there are like 70+ fields for tweaking the DRAM, cpu, bridges etc... I have no IDEA what to tweak and what not to.

Do you all have a guide for getting the RAM correctly installed and configured into this board? Any other advice?

• Corsair Employees
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

"set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts "

Thanks for the reply, several follow up questions:

The NB, MCH and SPP voltage I believe (I'm at work) are set to 'AUTO', is there a way to find out what the board is setting them to? so I can give raise them a +.2?

also thats +.2 right and not +.02?

I'm pretty naive to mother board, and DRAM technology, why do we have to reduce 800 mhz to 667? isn't the ram designed to be ran at 800?

Tried a BUNCH of different settings nothing works.

Tried

setting to 4-4-4-12

DDR2 800 MHZ,

DRAM voltage to 2.1 (per spec on sticks)

NB Voltage to 1.4

--------------

Auto (which defaults to 5-5-5-18)

Auto MHZ

NB Voltage to 1.5

---------------

setting to 4-4-4-12

DDR2 667 MHZ,

NB Voltage to 1.4

Also tried a bunch of combos of these, EQ2 HANGED OS no matter what...

Bizarre, I tried settign EQ2 to not take advantage of multicore, still get the HANGED OS

I'm gonna try using 2 sticks again, first A BANK, then take RAM taht was in B bank and put it in A BANK... see if there are issues.

Note I did run memtest in the past and it pasted with no errors, with everything set to AUTO in the bios....

• Corsair Employees
These modules should be able to run at DDR800 at the tested settings with out much problem. If they all pass two or one module at a time I would check that you have the latest BIOS and ask the MB maker to check the MB as there may be something wrong with the Memory Controller.

ok trying with 1 bank at a time, one thing I don't get when I run latest CPU-Z on the memory page it shows:

<SPD TAB>

Max Bandwidth: PC2-6400 (400 MHZ),

and Timing Table shows

JDEC#1 JDEC#1 EPP#1

270mhz 400 mhz 400mhz

shouldn't this say 800 MHZ?

the <Memory Tab shows>

Dram Frequency 401.2MHZ

FSB:DRAM 5:6

CA 4

RAS 4

RAS 4

Cycle 12

Row Refresh 52

Command 2T

I have the Bios is set to DDR2 800MHZ so shouldn't these be 800? or is it some 400*2 trick?

Thanks for continued help

ok cool..whew..was worried,

so I tried running Everquest 2 (EQ2) with 4GB (2 sticks) in A bank only, and hung. Then I tried the other two and hung.. :|.

I don't think its the dram.... I have ran memtest before and it didn't find any issues, I can run Win7 64 no issues no crashes, I can run wow no isues no crashes, I can run AOC with no issues...

only Everquest 2 has this problem.

Archived