Corsair Community

New x256 SSD drive disappears

spacecadet610

• Replies 187
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi all,

I just wanted to chime in with my issue which seem quite similar to what's being discussed in this thread. I received my X128 drive today and installed it in the HD slot of my macbook pro (late 2008). The drive was recognized and I made a few attempts at installing Snow Leopard but the drive kept failing at different points during the install. When the drive fails my machine becomes unresponsive and the only way out is a cold reboot. I also noticed that after rebooting the drive doesn't get recognized before I shut down the machine and wait a few minutes before it starts working again.

The next thing I tried was to boot of my old drive and put the X128 in a USB enclosure - more or less with the same result - works well for some time and then it's gone. It's also interesting that I don't even need to actually stress the drive in any way - I just let it sit idly for some minutes and it fails.

After that I connected it to a PC - the same thing...

i'm on a brand new 13" macbook pro, and i got an x256 about a month ago. until today the machine got fairly light use, but today i had to use it for 4-5 hours straight, during which time it locked up twice.

i'm pretty sure it was the disk based on the symptom - spinning pinwheel of death in one application after another. had to force-power off the machine after that.

is the lot/batch number represented in the SMART registers anywhere, or do i have to take my whole computer apart to check the lot #? do we know for sure that it's a bad batch, or is this a more generic firmware issue that might affect all x256s? in other words, is it worth trying to do an RMA?

At the moment, it's probably not worth it to RMA the disk as it seems replacement disks are also failing. Probably better to just wait or ask for a performance series replacement.

I'm really surprised Corsair hasn't issued a recall or customer advisory for the affected disks. Instead, they are still selling a defective product which is known to cause data loss. I wonder if they are trying to get rid of all affected disks by selling them to reduce costs.

It also seems that the issue with disappearing disks is not happening with just the x256 disks, as I see few people with 64 and 128 models having the exact same issue, but not as frequent. I can't trust Corsair or their disks until a root cause and a solution are found.

At the moment, it's probably not worth it to RMA the disk as it seems replacement disks are also failing. Probably better to just wait or ask for a performance series replacement.

I'm really surprised Corsair hasn't issued a recall or customer advisory for the affected disks. Instead, they are still selling a defective product which is known to cause data loss. I wonder if they are trying to get rid of all affected disks by selling them to reduce costs.

It also seems that the issue with disappearing disks is not happening with just the x256 disks, as I see few people with 64 and 128 models having the exact same issue, but not as frequent. I can't trust Corsair or their disks until a root cause and a solution are found.

well that's really too bad. i have two of these and they cost big $$ so its really, really bad news when they don't work. shouldnt OhSeeZee and other ssd manufacturers be having the same problem, since all ssd's of a certain class are based on this chipset?

has anyone with a mac tried installing this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3901

seems like a longshot but it might be worth a try.

• Corsair Employee
We stopped selling the X-Series 256 Gig drives more than three weeks ago until this problem would be isolated and a solution is in the works and like I stated I understand if someone cannot wait for the fix and why we have offered to replace the drives for another drive that does work. The users who sent them back to their reseller may have had them replaced and had the same issue but that was because they went with the reseller not with us.

We stopped selling the X-Series 256 Gig drives more than three weeks ago until this problem would be isolated and a solution is in the works and like I stated I understand if someone cannot wait for the fix and why we have offered to replace the drives for another drive that does work. The users who sent them back to their reseller may have had them replaced and had the same issue but that was because they went with the reseller not with us.

thanks for the update, i hope there is a README for the new firmware that is somewhat descriptive. i can't really tell if my problem is the same as what other people are reporting here so it would be nice to have some details of what the fix is.

I just bought an x128 from Amazon two days ago for my Macbook Pro (2006, 2,2). Are there known success stories with pairing an x series drive with ANY macbook/pros? Are these drive failures truly a minority, or is there a systemic issue? I would like to know that this isn't a complete waste of time to attempt the 8+ hour process of cloning my drive and installing a drive that probably will fail.

The issue is the drive will sometimes not be detected, and if you have that issue I would expect you would know it.

well, in my case it's detected and runs for a while, but then apparently drops off the bus. here i thought people were saying it's not even detected in the bios at boot time. is dropping off the bus during operation covered by your fix at all?

I just bought an x128 from Amazon two days ago for my Macbook Pro (2006, 2,2). Are there known success stories with pairing an x series drive with ANY macbook/pros? Are these drive failures truly a minority, or is there a systemic issue? I would like to know that this isn't a complete waste of time to attempt the 8+ hour process of cloning my drive and installing a drive that probably will fail.

well i have the 2009 macbook pro 13" and while the drive seemed to work fine at first, the drive seems to be disappearing from the SATA bus occasionally.

has anyone with a mac tried installing this:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3901

seems like a longshot but it might be worth a try.

i did apply this patch. at first i thought it was a firmware update, but in fact it is just a driver change. reading mac forums here and there it seems like there is a problem with nvidia-based mac laptops and some sata2 laptop hard disks, and it does manifest itself as the spinning beach ball of death / spinning pinwheel of death in all applications.

it may or may not have to do with NCQ. i have not figured out exactly what the driver change was in the above-linked page.

we'll just have to see if this fixed my issue or not. so far it looks good but then again my issue was very intermittent.

My second RMA was accepted and I sent the drive back on Saturday. I hoped I could install my new Windows 7 on an SSD, but unfortunately this became ot true.

When I get back my drive I will test it for a while as an additional disk in the system, if it turns out that it works fine I will consider the switch.

My X128 seems to be suffering the same symptoms as the X256's mentioned by the users here, notably that after a few reboots, the drive became unstable and eventually BIOS no longer detected the SSD.

I've confirmed that switching SATA ports/cables does not resolve the issue (I had another Samsung 1TB drive to test this as well).

A question just from reading around, I've heard that the new shipment of extreme series SSD's has updated firmware which supposedly fixes the issues that has been affecting everyone. Is this confirmed? I ask this because I don't want to RMA my drive only to get another drive which will soon break down afterwards (I don't mean to be a pain, I'm just concerned).

Hello Ram Guy,

I have the same question as cl_gibcount in Thread "New x256 SSD drive disappears" (#81031). I just bought four x32 drives and it seems that all of the four are experiencing the same problems as described in this thread.

I'm using an Areca 1680ix-24 card:

Firmware Version V1.47 2009-07-16

BOOT ROM Version V1.47 2009-06-25

SAS Firmware Version 4.5.3.0

Mac Pro 4,1

Boot Rom Version MP41.0081.B04

Corsair CMFSSD-32D1 - All the drives have Firmware v1.0

3x09420422

1x09410467

I've enabled and disabled each of these and all together and it doesn't make a difference:

SATA NCQ Support

HDD Read Ahead Cache

Volume Data Read Ahead

HDD Queue Depth - tried 32/16/1

SES2 Support

Disk Write Cache Mode

I've tried the drives using the Mac Pro's internal adapters and on the RAID card. They will come and go while in a raid set, using pass through or straight mac connect. I am unable to install 10.6 in any configuration of the flash drives though I can install on other sata and sas drives. Changing the firmware on the Areca card and moving it over to my Gigabyte EX58-UD4P/i7-920 and it's the same story with linux on or off the RAID card. The machine will still loose the drives randomly it seems but always during high transfer rates like installing or boot. I can always bring them back by powering them down and back up.

Do the replacement drives come with a higher firmware than 1.0?

If the replacements don't have a different firmware what another drive will you give me? (I care about speed not size)

What is the jumper for on these drives?

Archived