Corsair Community

anand sort of trashes samsung controller drives

tfannon

http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631

in this article he makes a few statements which contradict what i have heard here:

1) he states that the self-healing is only in the newer firmware

2) he states that there is no way for a customer to flash the drive himself (even in the future). it will have to be sent back to reseller.

can corsair staff comment on these statements? this article is pretty damning to the samsung controller based drives.

personally, although my WEI score has gone down, I still find my laptop Corsair experience pleasurable. I would feel more comfortable being able to confirm self-healing is working, but so far no matter how long i leave my laptop idle, the WEI score doesn't return to the original 7.1.

Page 19 for his comments on Samsung drives.

http://anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.aspx?i=3631&p=19

Indeed that article made me get in touch with their Semiconductor Dept. and as I posted in another thread Samsung are preparing an end user firmware update tool to support TRIM, here is their response:

Your SSD has the latest firmware of PM800 SSD. You do not need to update the firmware now.

And we are preparing the firmware updating tool. Please wait for our notice. Our PM800 SSD will support Trim command when Windows7 is released.

Maybe that article made them re-think their support strategy, but anyway there is hope...

• Corsair Employees
He is correct the current version of Firmware for the Samsung Drives AKA P-Series is version VBM18C1Q and supports self healing, but DOES not support TRIM command in Windows 7 ATM, we are waiting for Samsung to release a update tool for general public use but it is not clear if that will or will not happen and when. We can update a Drive should it need it, but it would have to be done in house and if it's done the information on the drive will be lost.

Not to stir the pot, but you did not address how this contradicts what you've said, several times, about 1801Q supposedly having GC functionality.

Edit: I'm pleased with my P256 right now but writes really have dropped significantly. It's not defective, but it is noticeable in my day to day work. Still, it's faster than standard hard disks so here's to that new firmware being released in October (hopefully). :)

• Corsair Employees

Yes I am sorry about that and I retracted that on another thread, I was miss informed and have since corrected that information.

You can image the drive off to another drive then use Diskpart to delete the partition and quick format the drive then put the image back on. That has worked for me in the lab using Accronics Home to image the drive.

Or we can arrange for you to send the drive and I will update the firmware for you. But the information will be lost on the drive.

Yes I am sorry about that and I retracted that on another thread, I was miss informed and have since corrected that information.

You can image the drive off to another drive then use Diskpart to delete the partition and quick format the drive then put the image back on. That has worked for me in the lab using Accronics Home to image the drive.

Or we can arrange for you to send the drive and I will update the firmware for you. But the information will be lost on the drive.

Thanks. I appreciate the offer but it's my work machine and I'm on it for literally 14+ hours a day so I can't send in the drive. I'll just have to wait for the firmware update.

Another question, if you don't mind: Is the GC functionality in these Samsung 2nd gen drives file system dependent? Specifically, does it only work with NTFS or is HFS+ supported as well?

The reason I ask is the drive would have to know what cells have real data and which cells have been written to but have stale data and I imagine this would mean it would have to query the file system.

• Corsair Employees
The statement I saw from Samsung had a Big note that stated it had only been tested with NTFS file system. I have to assume that means they only used and tested its functionality with Windows 7 or Windows Vista. And that would not mean that it would not work with other file systems/O.S. Only it had not been tested with other O.S. However, I have seen many user's using these drives with Unix and Mac based O.S. and have not had any reports of system slow downs as of yet.

Originally Posted by RAM GUY

How about us here in the UK, is that offer possible as well? If so, how long does the whole process gonna take?:roll:

@RAM GUY

Any feed back on this?:roll:

Archived